Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Re: Summer Solstice
Jun 21, 2009, 21:45
goffik wrote:
goffik wrote:
Look forward to reading individuals' reports on the event! :)

Maybe everyone's still there. ;)

Hope it all went well. I'm sure there were plenty of people at Avebury as well...

Surprised to have not heard from the usual Avebury lot, tbh! Maybe something will leak from the secret forum - ssh! ;)

G x

Hi Goff,

Just back in the west Country after a weekend in Avebury and the environs.

My impressions...Tommy Cooper, and that's about it.

Lots of Yellow Jackets in Thrifty Rental vans. And Bollards. Cricket Club Pavilion was HQ control. There was a helicopter - a bit OTT IMO. Talking to a chap at the Barn cafe this morning (I can remember when it was "Stones" - I still have the recipe book!) and HE said it all passed off quietly.

A lot of tents in a VERY small space - wouldn't want to be the ones forced to be in close proximity of the chemical toilets. Everyone seems to have been on good behaviour. A big "Well Done" to the NT staff in the car park, and the security on the gate.

We didn't "do" the Solstice thing (I plead age - mine - and a soft bed in mitigation), but we were in the area; stopped in a B&B in East Kennet for the weekend.

Found The Polisher (thanks to Saskia and my PDA) - got some nice phot's of the groovy grooves. We did our bit for the local economy.... I can recommend the veggie korma in the "Who'd A Thought It" in Lockeridge, and the warmth of the ladies in the Avebury shop.

Oh... and we went across the Vale of Pewsey. Once a green tee-shirt....
WHY would ANYONE want to haul 40-ton stones up Redhorn Hill, when there's a smoother, easier slope not a mile to the east (and it lies almost opposite Adam's Grave / Knap Hill)?

Been up to Windmill Hill (despite the best efforts of the signage!) today - a smashing place to put Silbury in "her" place; she really couldn't have gone anywhere else. We also stopped off at Glastonbury on the way back. If you want to see "lockdown tactics" in action, try getting in there in the next few days!

Peace

Pilgrim

X

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index