Stonehenge and its Environs »
Summer Solstice

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
AnnaDevon
9 posts

Summer Solstice
Jun 11, 2009, 19:43
I have never been to Stonehenge on the Summer Solstice and would like to experience it at least once before I die.

Is the area accessible on June 21st or are the roads around it closed to stop the crowds gathering?
megadread
1202 posts

Edited Jun 11, 2009, 21:02
Re: Summer Solstice
Jun 11, 2009, 21:00
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.20654

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/upload/pdf/stonehenge_summer_solstice_09.pdf?1244735395
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Jun 11, 2009, 22:08
Hi Anna - English Heritage operate an event known as 'managed access' during solstice. It has it's pros and cons, which have been debated at great length.
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Jun 11, 2009, 22:28
I went last year for the first time. Drove down after work and got there about eight PM. There were massive designated car parks, we got in quite easily. It's a bit of a walk, but it's worth it.
The wait was pretty bad getting out the car park after sunrise, took a few hours, but as long as your prepared for that, go for it.

It rained all night, it was cold, I was tired, but I wouldn't have missed it. There's no amplified instruments allowed, so it's all drumming and yelling inside the stones, and quite right too!

Enjoy, and report back!
megadread
1202 posts

Jun 12, 2009, 00:11
It's also full of 16 year olds with attitude, they've usually took along a bottle of coke, well i say a bottle of coke, it's 70% vodka in reality so they can get it past security, the hardcore chavs down several cans of special brew before entry too just for good measure.
I'd never go there again personally.
There's a site about 18 miles away that's quite good at solstice, totally the opposite to stonehenge but i'm not going to say where, it only attracts about 5-600 people usually but the atmosphere is much better.
Your much better off visiting stonehenge for the winter solstice to be honest, chavs hate the cold.
Just my opinion based on experience. ; )
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 12, 2009, 00:30
megadread wrote:

There's a site about 18 miles away that's quite good at solstice, totally the opposite to stonehenge but i'm not going to say where,

Jimmits house?
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Jun 12, 2009, 08:06
Fully booked I'm afraid, the police are erecting the barriers next week ;)
Jim.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 12, 2009, 09:21
"It's also full of 16 year olds with attitude, they've usually took along a bottle of coke, well i say a bottle of coke, it's 70% vodka in reality so they can get it past security, the hardcore chavs down several cans of special brew before entry too just for good measure."

... but where is the archaeological evidence that they aren't replicating the original gatherings very accurately?

;)
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Jun 12, 2009, 12:46
megadread wrote:

Your much better off visiting stonehenge for the winter solstice to be honest, chavs hate the cold.
Just my opinion based on experience. ; )

I much prefer the Winter solstice too, but if someone wants to 'experience the summer solstice at Stonehenge' I reckon the Winter one just won't work.

I'm going to try and get to the winter one again this year. Stop in a travel-lodge near Salisbury, meal in the town the night before, park on a verge the next morning. . a few hundred at the stones, cup of soup, a "blessed be" and job's a good un!
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Jun 12, 2009, 13:32
Yes - you've got to do it once, at least. Just go and if you're sincere you'll get in! (Well it worked for me). But then there's all these other sites, around the world, really, that need 'waking up'. So there's also a good argument for just finding the one nearest and putting the energy in there. I'm hoping for Bolton moors, a sleeping bag, a bottle of water and an ancient Super8 camera and tripod. Fingers crossed for clear skies!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index