Summer Solstice

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Summer Solstice
Jun 21, 2009, 09:20
Coo! Just heard on the news there were record numbers of attendees at Stonehenge this year - about 35,000 people!

I'm sure it was a blast, but I'm definately glad I didn't go!

I wonder how many people would go if it were freely accessible all year round, and that there wasn't such a fuss made about letting people in without upsetting regular daily admission fees.

Look forward to reading individuals' reports on the event! :)

G x
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Edited Jun 21, 2009, 21:26
Jun 21, 2009, 21:24
goffik wrote:

Maybe everyone's still there. ;)

Hope it all went well. I'm sure there were plenty of people at Avebury as well...

G x
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Jun 21, 2009, 21:45
goffik wrote:
goffik wrote:

Maybe everyone's still there. ;)

Hope it all went well. I'm sure there were plenty of people at Avebury as well...

Surprised to have not heard from the usual Avebury lot, tbh! Maybe something will leak from the secret forum - ssh! ;)

G x

Hi Goff,

Just back in the west Country after a weekend in Avebury and the environs.

My impressions...Tommy Cooper, and that's about it.

Lots of Yellow Jackets in Thrifty Rental vans. And Bollards. Cricket Club Pavilion was HQ control. There was a helicopter - a bit OTT IMO. Talking to a chap at the Barn cafe this morning (I can remember when it was "Stones" - I still have the recipe book!) and HE said it all passed off quietly.

A lot of tents in a VERY small space - wouldn't want to be the ones forced to be in close proximity of the chemical toilets. Everyone seems to have been on good behaviour. A big "Well Done" to the NT staff in the car park, and the security on the gate.

We didn't "do" the Solstice thing (I plead age - mine - and a soft bed in mitigation), but we were in the area; stopped in a B&B in East Kennet for the weekend.

Found The Polisher (thanks to Saskia and my PDA) - got some nice phot's of the groovy grooves. We did our bit for the local economy.... I can recommend the veggie korma in the "Who'd A Thought It" in Lockeridge, and the warmth of the ladies in the Avebury shop.

Oh... and we went across the Vale of Pewsey. Once a green tee-shirt....
WHY would ANYONE want to haul 40-ton stones up Redhorn Hill, when there's a smoother, easier slope not a mile to the east (and it lies almost opposite Adam's Grave / Knap Hill)?

Been up to Windmill Hill (despite the best efforts of the signage!) today - a smashing place to put Silbury in "her" place; she really couldn't have gone anywhere else. We also stopped off at Glastonbury on the way back. If you want to see "lockdown tactics" in action, try getting in there in the next few days!

Peace

Pilgrim

X
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 22, 2009, 08:43
Well Avebury Solstice seems to have passed peacefully as well, apart from the drumming all night, and a couple of noisy cockerels....

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/4449989.Avebury_solstice_passes_peacefully/
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Jun 22, 2009, 09:10
Pretty good atmosphere at Avebury.....a few drunk crusties at the Red Lion.....lots of picnics..busy but not too crowded...usual orchestrated drumming and firey torches...very clear skies at one point with Jupiter(?) brilliant in the east.....swifts nesting in the NE chamber of WKLB completely unfazed by the people around...meeting old friends (Hi Juamei!)... spotless barrow in the morning and an overnight crop circle two fields to the east..enjoyed.
Jim.
http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2009/westkennett/westkennett2009.html
DoGGoD
DoGGoD
1 posts

Jun 22, 2009, 12:28
Well, this is after the event, so everyone here should know at least Stonehenge had around 35,000! Wow, that's a lot. I went to a much smaller gathering to The Long Man of Wilmington, and joined the Anderida Gorsedd group. It was fun and good for the soul. And what a day! Could've stayed at the pub afterwards all day...
megadread
1202 posts

Jun 23, 2009, 22:30
jimit wrote:
Pretty good atmosphere at Avebury.....a few drunk crusties at the Red Lion.....lots of picnics..busy but not too crowded...usual orchestrated drumming and firey torches...very clear skies at one point with Jupiter(?) brilliant in the east.....swifts nesting in the NE chamber of WKLB completely unfazed by the people around...meeting old friends (Hi Juamei!)... spotless barrow in the morning and an overnight crop circle two fields to the east..enjoyed.
Jim.
http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2009/westkennett/westkennett2009.html

I was at the wklb too for the sunrise that didn't happen, not that i mind, it just gets better and better there each year.
Thank you Avebury.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Jun 24, 2009, 18:36
It was pretty cold on Bolton moors, no sunrise - just a glimmer through the mist. I've identified the sunset point though, the stone row at Brown Stones. The horizon is quite high there so it occurs almost an hour earlier than in Bury. Returning home it's getting dark but Bury is still bathed in ruddy sunshine!
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index