The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge and its Environs »
The Secrets of Stonehenge

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: TMA contributes to archaeological theory...
Jun 02, 2009, 16:58
I missed the programme, then switched over to C4+1 to see if I fancied it from half way through. Just so happened it was exactly the point Stonerowing was mentioned! I sort of hoped it would be mentioned and duly credited elsewhere. Or at the very least a clip of my arse from the Channel 5 programme of a few years back! ;)

Will have to look out for a repeat! Sounds good. :)

G x
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: The Secrets of Stonehenge
Jun 02, 2009, 17:15
Pete G wrote:
the trench did not cover the sockets but they said it showed up on geophys.

It wouldn't have taken too much digging to clarify that they really were stone sockets as opposed to , timber or anything else . Looks like another leap of imagination .
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 02, 2009, 17:18
to be fair it was the last trench opened during the season and time was short.
It was also on private land so permissions would have to have been sought to extend the trench.
Maybe this year they will reopen it and have a look.
PeteG
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jun 02, 2009, 17:30
Pete G wrote:
to be fair it was the last trench opened during the season and time was short.
It was also on private land so permissions would have to have been sought to extend the trench.
Maybe this year they will reopen it and have a look.
PeteG

Right by a convenient crossing point of the Avon ,it could be anything from any period . Luckily the solstice aligned "parallel stripes " had enough time to be dug .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 02, 2009, 17:42
So what about those stripes?

Natural, and amazingly luckily aligned on the solstice, so the ancients noticed this and located the monument and the Avenue accordingly....

It hangs together as a viable theory, just about, but a theory that depends on a massive natural fluke....??? What would Occam say?

Haven't those "natural" but inexplicable lines in Malta finally been identified as cartwheel ruts?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 02, 2009, 17:49
yup, it could be the site of a previous bridge OTOH it could have been a trilithon entrance way to the avenue.

As to the stipes, couldn't they be caused by dragging all the stones up the slope?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jun 02, 2009, 18:02
nigelswift wrote:
So what about those stripes?

Natural, and amazingly luckily aligned on the solstice, so the ancients noticed this and located the monument and the Avenue accordingly....

It hangs together as a viable theory, just about, but a theory that depends on a massive natural fluke....??? What would Occam say?

Haven't those "natural" but inexplicable lines in Malta finally been identified as cartwheel ruts?

William would have no problem . He never gives in does old MPP does he .

Yep , seemingly as simple as , that cart wheels on soft rock (when wet ) .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jun 02, 2009, 18:04
Pete G wrote:
yup, it could be the site of a previous bridge OTOH it could have been a trilithon entrance way to the avenue.

As to the stipes, couldn't they be caused by dragging all the stones up the slope?

L'arc du Morts , don't mention it or MPP will run with it .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 02, 2009, 18:09
"cart wheels on soft rock (when wet )"

Especially when heavily laden with robbed stones on their way back to Amesbury.... ;)
megadread
1202 posts

Edited Jun 02, 2009, 18:35
Jun 02, 2009, 18:13
I thought that last night, wet chalk is amazingly slippery, their announcement that they were "natural" put the thought to bed for me, i must stop listening to "experts."
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index