Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Wrong Well
Mar 11, 2008, 23:04
Hi Rhiannon

Nice piece about St Cuberts Well you have posted but it is refering to the Holywell..not the Victorian St Cuberts Well.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/6639/holywell.html

And yes you can squeeze into the upper chamber..

I like the way this has been given a disputed antiquity tag....it is possibly older than any other site on the website...

Mr H
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Re: Wrong Well...calling Rhiannon
Mar 12, 2008, 17:51
forgot to flag this up to whom it was meant for....

Mr H
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Wrong Well
Mar 12, 2008, 22:13
Ah Mr H. you don't miss a trick (which is a good thing). Thank you for spotting that. I wish I spent more time visiting these places and less time reading and dreaming about them. I will try and get the post moved across if I can.
I'm sure you're right about its ancientness. No doubt why some saint's name got tacked onto it in the first place.
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Mar 13, 2008, 08:38
Hi Rhiannon

Its a beautiful place to visit...but be careful of the tide...it is also hidden away and even the great guide that i am had to ask for directions!

can I ask a favour?

Whilst you are busy reading all these ancient tomes...if you come across any references to St Bellarmines Tor/chapel/well could you inform me please. I am really looking for any eveidence to date the name further back than 1814 or any facts to prove there was a chapel and a well on the site.

Please don't go looking specially for me but if anything comes up...

all the best

Mr H
Andy Norfolk
58 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2008, 09:14
Mar 13, 2008, 08:59
The other St Cubert's Well in the holiday park may have been rebuilt (that recently added cross on top is hideous) but I wouldn't dismiss it as some sort of Victorian folly. The main structure of the well building is reputed to be 14thC, see for example, Cheryl Straffon's "Fentynnyow Kernow", or J Meyrick's "Holly Wells". It was roofless and largely ruined when visited by Charles Henderson in 1924, and one door jamb was being used as a pig trough at Trevornick Farm. It was restored by the Newquay Old Cornwall Society - hence the Cornish inscription. (See also "the Healing Wells and Cornish Cults and Customs" by PO and DV Leggat.) This well is genuinely an ancient holy well and both have a long and well established link to St Cubert.

BTW not only is it possible to squeeze into the top chamber of the well in the cave, but you can get several good friends in there together - good friends because it's a tight squeeze.
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Mar 13, 2008, 11:31
Hi Andy

Apoligies for bringing the well into the realms of Victorian folly...I have not visited this site and from a quick glance at the photos I guessed it had been rebuilt like so many in Cornwall...

Any info in those books about St Bellarmine?

Mr H
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Mar 13, 2008, 15:39
I'm sure you've seen this - maybe it's where you got started from. I'll keep an eye out anyway. Bellarmine looks like one of those tricky names that could be spelt any of 100 ways.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50857
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Mar 13, 2008, 21:11
Andy Norfolk wrote:
BTW not only is it possible to squeeze into the top chamber of the well in the cave, but you can get several good friends in there together - good friends because it's a tight squeeze.

... Or one Goffik! ;) Actually me and Mrs G fit in there quite nicely with room a-plenty for a (very) few others! Would have got a bit claustraphobic though. But what a fab place!

Took us about 5 visits to find the sodding thing but was well worth the effort. Turns out we'd found it by visit #2 but didn't realise!

Must re-visit St Cuberts well sometime... >sighs wistfully<

G x
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Mar 14, 2008, 00:07
Hi Rhiannon

Not sure if I had come across that one...but it is like many from that time...all mention name of tor, ruin of chapel..but nothing to say where they came acrosss the details...

Mr H
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Mar 14, 2008, 11:28
ah yes the usual rumours repeated as truth
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index