Stonehenge »
YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
beatles
133 posts

YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS
Mar 07, 2008, 14:29
good morning to you all. I admire your site, I am new here and have been watching your forum for a bit. i came here to post something that you should be aware of becouse you will no doubt hear of it from many sources in the future. it is a new theory about stonehenge... I know you have heard this many times and i understand that you are tired of new theories but this one is of an engineering nature and definately not new age stuff. it can be found at ;

http://www.granaryatstonehenge.org

the site has a video of a working scale model of stonehenge as a mechanical neolithic grain mill and a formal 20 page thesis.

i am one of the owners of the site and will answer any questions but i will not respond to personal attacks or sarcasm..... i look forward to frank open discussions with you all. this theory is not going away any time soon so here is your chance to examine the evidence and decide for yourself if there is any merit in it.

i would like to say right off that this theory does not negate stonehenge as a sacred site or astronomical site. i well understand that stonehenge has astronomical alignments and religious uses. those topics i do not challenge.

you owe it to yourself to become acquainted with this new theory becouse you are going to hear a lot about it in the future. our site is brand new and i bring this to you first out of respect for you the owners of the stonehenge heritage. thank you , clyde hollifield
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS
Mar 07, 2008, 15:00
I have a working model of the Avebury ditch as a donut factory , any connection ?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Mar 07, 2008, 15:24
Do you have any hard evidence for this at all? I'm not a stonehenge expert by any means, but if memory serves the trilithons are in a horseshoe shape, not a full circle, which doesn't fit your theory of a carousel.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Mar 07, 2008, 15:39
Squid Tempest wrote:
the trilithons are in a horseshoe shape, not a full circle

True, Squid. The outer ring forms the circle.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Mar 07, 2008, 16:04
Thanks Jane. I've just read a bit more of the thesis rather than just the synopsis, and I must admit he does cover the trilithons being a horseshoe shape. It still sounds pretty far fetched to me though.

beatles - a couple of notes for your thesis:

1. It is a "mortise and tenon" joint, not "mortise and tendon".
2. Stonehenge has an "Altar Stone" not an "Alter Stone".
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Mar 07, 2008, 16:50
Mar 07, 2008, 16:37
Well I guess I agree Stonehenge could well be 'about' grain, because as you say the landscape around that time was being cleared, and plants were being domesticated. And you'd need to sow and reap your plants just at the right time - an astronomical 'instrument' would come in handy.

But isn't the carousel thing rather over-egging the pudding? I mean, Occams Razor and all that. Are there any post holes in the right place as supporting evidence for your theory? The central post for instance. That'd make a bloody big hole. I know you said they could move it around, but it would have to be huge and if it wasn't secured at the top it'd have to be secured at the bottom or surely people would get squashed?

I love my folklore and I notice you say "Old stories of sound coming from Stonehenge may be folk memories of the grinding and rumbling noises of the working mill." I haven't spotted these before and am intrigued to hear more / where you got this from.
TMA Ed
615 posts

Mar 07, 2008, 16:43
beatles wrote:
i am one of the owners of the site and will answer any questions but i will not respond to personal attacks or sarcasm.....

Hi Clyde,

Welcome to TMA. It's worth pointing out that the chances of personal attacks and/or sarcasm do tend to increase when people burst into the forum declaring things in all caps, telling us what we need to know and how it's for our own good. I'm sure it's not your intention to rub anyone up the wrong way, but as we have been incorrectly rubbed-up so many times in the past, you might be better off sharing your knowledge in a less declamatory fashion; many false prophets have fallen at the hands of TMA's collective wit, and their incessant "I know the way and you'll regret it if you don't follow me" ramblings have resulted in what you might call 'trust issues'!

Kind regards,
TMA Ed.
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Mar 07, 2008, 16:52
and how high would the centre post be?...and since when was Stonehenge neolithic?

It's a wonderful idea...but why is it the only one? if it had worked would they have not copied the idea on a smaller scale at many other places (or was there a patent taken out?).

I once had a dream that Silbury Hill was the last remains of a giant species of land living limpet...recent excavations have proved me wrong.

Mr H
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Mar 07, 2008, 17:13
Does anyone know if soil samples taken at Stonehenge or the immediate area, show any remnants of the huge amount of corn which would have been processed here over (it is alleged) 1,000 years?
Jim.
beatles
133 posts

Mar 07, 2008, 20:41
Squid Tempest wrote:
Do you have any hard evidence for this at all? I'm not a stonehenge expert by any means, but if memory serves the trilithons are in a horseshoe shape, not a full circle, which doesn't fit your theory of a carousel.

sir, please go to the site http://www.granaryatstonehenge.org and read the part of the thesis about the purpose of the trilithons in the granry. thanks for your question. clyde
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index