This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 152 53 54 55 56 57 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: And now for the door...
Jul 21, 2007, 10:24
I'm sure it will have been fully checked and there are means to chemically analyse for carbonation if steel is suspected to be present but it would be nice to know it had been.

Perhaps someone could ask English Heritage's Ask the Experts ;-)

The most recent photo I've seen of the lintel shows what appears to be a vertical join to the right of the 1968 plaque. That would imply that the lintel is reinforced. Bottom edge of plaque shows some spalling. Orange hue to the concrete, though that might be discoloration from the earth covering (if it was covered with earth and not chalk). Green patina on the Superman door suggests copper.

None of this belongs in Silbury, any more than a commemorative plaque nailed to a Stonehenge trilithon would.
Robert Carr
84 posts

Re: Time capsule - Lord Avebury's opinion
Jul 21, 2007, 10:30
slumpystones wrote:

Do you require a bigger spoon, Mr Carr?

eh?

What are you going on about?
slumpystones
769 posts

Re: Time capsule - Lord Avebury's opinion
Jul 21, 2007, 12:07
Robert Carr wrote:
slumpystones wrote:

Do you require a bigger spoon, Mr Carr?

eh?

What are you going on about?

You really have no idea? That does surprise me, as you seem to have a handle [spoon handle?] and an opinion on everything that goes on.
Robert Carr
84 posts

English Heritage and Heritage Action meeting?
Jul 21, 2007, 12:46
Googling around trying to get some knowledge on Silbury Hill, I came across this news item dated May 18.

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh/ART21824.html

"Our Chief Executive has responded to the concerns of the Heritage Action group in writing and members of Silbury Hill project board have offered to meet with the group to address their points in person. We look forward to working with the group constructively in the future."

Any updates on this please?

Heritage Action will be staging a protest on May 29, called the Fourth Anniversary Protest, it begins with a march from Avebury to Silbury followed by an open air conference.

Did this happen? I must have missed it on the news. Anyone arrested?
slumpystones
769 posts

Re: English Heritage and Heritage Action meeting?
Jul 21, 2007, 13:25
Robert Carr wrote:
Googling around trying to get some knowledge on Silbury Hill, I came across this news item dated May 18.

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh/ART21824.html

"Our Chief Executive has responded to the concerns of the Heritage Action group in writing and members of Silbury Hill project board have offered to meet with the group to address their points in person. We look forward to working with the group constructively in the future."

Any updates on this please?

Heritage Action will be staging a protest on May 29, called the Fourth Anniversary Protest, it begins with a march from Avebury to Silbury followed by an open air conference.

Did this happen? I must have missed it on the news. Anyone arrested?

Nope, you still need a bigger spoon, Robert.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 21, 2007, 14:56
The most recent photo I've seen of the lintel shows what appears to be a vertical join to the right of the 1968 plaque.

Same photo also shows a cross-section of what appears to be (approximately) a two foot covering of earth. I suppose such a depth of covering could naturally accumulate over the history of the structure, or does this also suggest that Silbury was intentionally turfed?
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 21, 2007, 17:32
Any chance of some door closure ?

It's ruddy George Rafty, and everyone is getting repetitive strain injuries.

VBB :)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 21, 2007, 17:59

Yes, as long as it isn't closed, sealed and concealed in Silbury. Who's George Rafty? If he's not a FIIC I'm not interested ;-) And please answer my question re: Surely, VBB, the damage was done when the lintel was inserted and careful removal now would result in little (if any) further damage. I am not an archaeologist so please correct me if I am wrong here.

I'm in grouchy mood this evening, need feeding, and require some sense from the world :-)
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 21, 2007, 18:23
Littlestone wrote:

Yes, as long as it isn't closed, sealed and concealed in Silbury. Who's George Rafty? If he's not a FIIC I'm not interested ;-) And please answer my question re: Surely, VBB, the damage was done when the lintel was inserted and careful removal now would result in little (if any) further damage. I am not an archaeologist so please correct me if I am wrong here.

I'm in grouchy mood this evening, need feeding, and require some sense from the world :-)

Non-sense is my department as you well know.

What was the question ?

Oh right, well I am not an astronaut either. I asked a nice woamn on the phone a couple of weeks back and she told me it was being looked at again nearer the time (not 1968) to evaluate if it would do more harm than good. It was not being preserved at the site for historic value, but would be if it was removed.

She was a nice lady!

VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 21, 2007, 18:24
VenerableBottyBurp wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

Non-sense is my department as you well know.

What was the question ?

Oh right, well I am not an astronaut either. I asked a nice woamn on the phone a couple of weeks back and she told me it was being looked at again nearer the time (not 1968) to evaluate if it would do more harm than good. It was not being preserved at the site for historic value, but would be if it was removed.

She was a nice lady!

I'm going out with woamn tonight, whatever that is !

VBB :o)
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 152 53 54 55 56 57 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index