This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 127 28 29 30 31 32 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: slumpy's EH comment - England's Heritage
Jun 28, 2007, 18:33
Nice one slumpy - says it all. Will put it up on the Megalithic Poems blog in a week or two.
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jun 29, 2007, 06:34
rammie wrote:
However I would like to state that Fachna is indeed an excellent archaeologist in all respects.

Good health to you Fachna.

Yep. Right with you there, rammie.

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Robert Carr
84 posts

Edited Jul 01, 2007, 08:23
English Heritage - Another side
Jun 29, 2007, 07:15
It's plainly apparent that English Heritage is not a favourite amongst certain TMA members, indeed the bile and abuse aimed at this organisation shows that feelings are strong.

Personally I cannot comment on the issues regarding Silbury, firstly through ignorance and secondly because I live the north of the UK and have no attachment or interest in Avebury, Silbury etc. However I would like to comment on an English Heritage project in my part of the world.

Every summer since 2004 English Heritage have been conducting an excavation at the Chester Amphitheatre. The site is freely accessible to visitors who are encouraged to walk the site and observe the excavation team in action. All the staff are helpful and willing to stop and chat about their work. Across the road at the Chester Visitor's Centre there is an exhibition of finds on display and the official website is informative and kept up to date.

Now I do not doubt that there may be shortcomings with the current Silbury excavation but my point is that at least in Chester they have got it right and deserve to be commended for that.

http://www.chester.gov.uk/amphitheatre/index.html
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: English Heritage - Another side
Jun 29, 2007, 07:28
Now I do not doubt that there may be shortcomings with the current Silbury excavation but my point is that at least in Chester they have got it right and deserve to be commended for that.

Without doubt.
I've just been watching the live video stream from there.
Have you seen the Silbury one?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 29, 2007, 08:04
[i]Robert Carr wrote:[i/]

I live the north of the UK and have no attachment or interest in Avebury, Silbury etc. However I would like to comment on an English Heritage project in my part of the world.

The subject of this thread is Silbury updates, and by extension English Heritage's present 'work' at Silbury. Please keep on topic. If you wish to discuss EH's work at a the Chester Amphitheatreplease please open a separate thread (though I suspect you will receive little sympathy for discussing things Roman on The Modern Antiquarian).
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Jun 29, 2007, 08:54
Unwind yourself fella, there's no need to shout
Robert was only pointing out that his experience of an EH project has been quite positive.
love & kisses
fitz
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 29, 2007, 09:06
Not shouting at all fitz, trying to keep the discussion centred on what's important down this neck of the woods. If Mr Carr wants to talk about his experiences with English Heritage up north he's perfectly entitled to do so - elsewhere, not here where we're talking about Silbury updates and English Heritage's failure to provide us with detailed information on their work at Silbury (or to answer our questions on their Ask the Experts page).

Best wishes to you too matey, when we gonna see ya down here? Can feel the Red Lion beckoning for a chinwag and a couple of jars :-)

LS
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Jun 29, 2007, 09:27
Littlestone wrote:
Not shouting at all fitz, trying to keep the discussion centred on what's important down this neck of the woods. If Mr Carr wants to talk about his experiences with English Heritage up north he's perfectly entitled to do so - elsewhere, not here where we're talking about Silbury updates and English Heritage's failure to provide us with detailed information on their work at Silbury (or to answer our questions on their Ask the Experts page).

Best wishes to you too matey, when we gonna see ya down here? Can feel the Red Lion beckoning for a chinwag and a couple of jars :-)

LS
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 29, 2007, 09:45
For the avoidance of doubt, I have found several of the EH personnel I have met to be personable and dedicated. And most particularly Fachtna, whose dedication to the archaeology was total and who is now mysteriously out of the picture.

However, an ORGANISATION that has spent 7 years sharing virtually nothing with the public about the Silbury project other than when the calls became deafening and which is right now very actively promoting a plan to drive two miles of new four-lane highway through the Stonehenge World Heritage Site in the teeth of opposition from almost every other heritage and archaeology body is hardly going to be well thought of by many here.

If anyone wishes to show those two facts are inaccurate in any way I'll be pleased to revise my opinion.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Jun 29, 2007, 09:47
fitzcoraldo wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

LS

Cheers and whoops,
I suspect that by sharing his positive experience of EH's work, Robert was trying to establish a balance. I would imagine many newcomers to this forum could be quite taken aback, and possibly put off, by the frequent, and occasionaly vitriollic, anti-EH sentiments expressed by a number of regular contributors.

As for the red lion, thanks for the offer but I have no plans to head south any time soon ...... if you ever find yourself in the dark, true and tender north give me shout.
cheers
fitz
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 127 28 29 30 31 32 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index