Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 130 31 32 33 34 35 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Re: Books of possible interest
Aug 26, 2011, 19:42
CARL wrote:
Just picked up a copy of - Prehistoric Wiltshire (an illustrated guide) by Bob Clarke. £14.99 - 125 pages.

Have only had chance for a quick flick through - looks good. Lots of colour photos!! The foreword is by Francis Pryor.

Saw that on amazon recently (one of those mildly irritating "you've bought X so you might also like" things). Looked pretty good and it's a decent price.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

From Stonehenge to Las Vegas: Archaeology as Popul
Oct 19, 2011, 07:59
"Using wide-ranging examples and compelling images to support his often controversial theses, including the assertion that the past is a renewable resource, Cornelius Holtorf merges archaeological and cultural theory to take readers on an erudite tour of these intersections. Deliberately blurring the borders between past people and present meanings, this ambitious project seeks no less than the redefinition of the term archaeology. Equal parts amusing, infuriating, provocative and thought-provoking, this work will interest students and teachers in archaeology, anthropology, cultural studies and human geography, as well as professionals in heritage management and museums."

http://www.citeulike.org/user/kiaz/article/371049

"Indiana Jones. Lara Croft. Archaeologist as folk hero, detective, treasure hunter. The meaning of things below the surface. The life history of Stonehenge. Las Vegas' Luxor Hotel. Copies of artifacts as contemporary kitch. The connections between archaeology and contemporary culture are endless. Cornelius Holtorf merges archaeological and cultural theory to take readers on an erudite tour of these intersections, using wide-ranging examples and compelling images to support his often controversial theses. Deliberately blurring the borders between past people and present meanings, this ambitious project seeks no less than the redefinition of the term _archaeology._ Equal parts amusing, infuriating, and provocative, this work will interest students and teachers in archaeology, anthropology, cultural studies and human geography, as well as professionals in heritage management and museums. "

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0759102678/citeulike00-21
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Ancient Ireland - Life before the Celts
Oct 19, 2011, 17:54
This is not a new book but definitely new to the ancient history section of my local library.

Ancient Ireland - Life before the Celts: written by Laurence Flanagan in 1998

A clearly written but modest book with black & white illustrations rather than photographs. The chapter on Passage Tombs has illustrated examples of "motifs that constitute the repertoire of passage tomb art".

http://archaeology.about.com/od/regionalstudie1/fr/flanagan.htm

I believe Laurence Flanagan has since died.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Oct 19, 2011, 19:35
Books of Possible Interest.
Oct 19, 2011, 19:28
Wow, your threads are pretty epic over here. Sorry if the following have already been mentioned. I picked all three up at the same time from the local Oxfam bookshop and they have exhumed a buried interest in this type of thing.

On Deep History and the Brain - Daniel Lord Smail. An important book I think. "What passes for progress in human civilisation,’ he writes, ‘is often nothing more than new developments in the art of changing body chemistry." He argues that culture changes that body chemistry! So religion, monumental architecture, sport and alcohol, amongst others, actually had a physical impact on us as a species.

The stones, so beloved here, changed us.

After the Ice: A Global Human History 20,000-5000 BC - Steven Mithen. A survey of known sites. Odd. Fictionalises the narrative voice for some reason. I found it enjoyable.

Conceiving God: The Cognitive Origin and Evolution of Religion - David Lewis-Williams. Still working through this. Fascinating. Still waiting for it all to click into place.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: A Distant Prospect of Wessex
Dec 09, 2011, 10:58
Well this book is sort of literary plus archaeology...

A Distant Prospect of Wessex: Archaeology and the Past in the Life and Works of Thomas Hardy; By Martin JP Davies
A very long revue in Britarch on this thesis turned book (fascinating and readable) it traces the archaeological threads in Hardy's stories. Apparently he was friends with General Pitt Rivers (Britains first inspector of Ancient Monuments). Not sure if Hardy's house Max Gate was built on top of a neolithic monument, but there was a megalithic stone unearthed, which gave rise to the poem "The Shadow of the Stone".
Mandatory pic of Stonehenge on the front...

http://www.plodit.com/buy-a-distant-prospect-of-wessex-archaeology-and-t--9781905739417.html
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Dec 09, 2011, 12:50
moss wrote:

A Distant Prospect of Wessex: Archaeology and the Past in the Life and Works of Thomas Hardy; By Martin JP Davies
A very long revue in Britarch on this thesis turned book (fascinating and readable) it traces the archaeological threads in Hardy's stories. Apparently he was friends with General Pitt Rivers (Britains first inspector of Ancient Monuments). Not sure if Hardy's house Max Gate was built on top of a neolithic monument, but there was a megalithic stone unearthed, which gave rise to the poem "The Shadow of the Stone".

http://www.plodit.com/buy-a-distant-prospect-of-wessex-archaeology-and-t--9781905739417.html

Cheers for that man. I'm going to check this out, was thinking what to ask for at Christmas.

Forgot about this thread or I would have posted a postscript that all three of the books I mentioned (On Deep History and the Brain, Conceiving God: The Cognitive Origin and Evolution of Religion, and especially After the Ice: A Global Human History 20,000-5000 BC) were fantastic, all have made a lasting impression. I can feel my brain subtly rewiring itself, long held opinions gently unravelling.

Steven Mithen’s After the Ice: A Global Human History especially is a close “must have” for anyone interested in the archaeology of this period. A fair few here I would think…
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 09, 2011, 13:34
moss wrote:
Not sure if Hardy's house Max Gate was built on top of a neolithic monument, but there was a megalithic stone unearthed, which gave rise to the poem "The Shadow of the Stone".

Max Gate and garden is built on what is left of the Flagstones enclosure , a twin of the early phase 1 Stonehenge . The rest of it was removed for the Dorchester bypass . The monument had a burial at it's centre sealed by a large sarsen and when Max Gate was being built a sarsen was found covering charred bones ,both stones were used as garden features .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Dec 09, 2011, 14:19
Interesting stuff Mr t and RE!

The poem’s here if anyone’s interested (bottom of the page) along with a pic of the stone by Gerald Ponting. Gerald comments that, " I was at Max Gate recently, the house on the outskirts of Dorchester where Hardy lived much of his later life. There are two sarsens which Hardy had set up in the garden, not in original situ, but geophys studies when the nearby by-pass was created suggested that they had been part of a 'Neolithic enclosure'. The poem is... basically him imagining a shadow of his late wife."
moss
moss
2897 posts

Dec 09, 2011, 15:43
tiompan wrote:
moss wrote:

Max Gate and garden is built on what is left of the Flagstones enclosure , a twin of the early phase 1 Stonehenge . The rest of it was removed for the Dorchester bypass . The monument had a burial at it's centre sealed by a large sarsen and when Max Gate was being built a sarsen was found covering charred bones ,both stones were used as garden features .

Well a bit of detective work unearths Flagstone enclosure on TMA,

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/13021/flagstones.html;

plus the review mentions you could see Conquer barrow (framed by the drawing room window of Max Gate house) until it got covered by trees, as it is today..
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/83647/conquer_barrow.html
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Landscapes of Neolithic Brittany
Dec 09, 2011, 15:56
Robot Emperor wrote:
moss wrote:

Cheers for that man. I'm going to check this out, was thinking what to ask for at Christmas.

Forgot about this thread or I would have posted a postscript that all three of the books I mentioned (On Deep History and the Brain, Conceiving God: The Cognitive Origin and Evolution of Religion, and especially After the Ice: A Global Human History 20,000-5000 BC) were fantastic, all have made a lasting impression. I can feel my brain subtly rewiring itself, long held opinions gently unravelling.

Steven Mithen’s After the Ice: A Global Human History especially is a close “must have” for anyone interested in the archaeology of this period. A fair few here I would think…

Well as we're talking Xmas books, did'nt put this one up as the price is £75 for one book.. OUP - Landscapes of Neolithic Brittany, 326 pages hard back.
so the review goes "this authorative book (and pricey) account of our current state of knowledge explores the Breton monuments from the perspectives of landscape and materiality"
Must admit did'nt get on with his 'Megalithic Monuments of Britain and Ireland' though, but its relevant to megaliths.
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 130 31 32 33 34 35 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index