Books of possible interest

Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 129 30 31 32 33 34 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Unearthing London: Simon Webb
Aug 13, 2011, 09:19
“The Bronze Age barrows at Greenwich are old, but they are not the most ancient ritual site to be found in London. In 2010, archaeologists took a closer look at a group of wooden posts jutting out of the Thames mud near Vauxhall Bridge. These posts, originally about the size of telegraph poles, can be seen at low tide in front of the MI6 building. They were found to be over 6,000 years old, making them by far the oldest structure ever found in London, erected thousands of years before the stones of Stonehenge were set into place.”

Simon Webb's book, Unearthing London: The Ancient World Beneath the Metropolis, is out now. More here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/aug/12/londons-ancient-history
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: "The Green Roads of England"
Aug 18, 2011, 06:54
"The Green Roads of England"

by R. Hippisley Cox (first published 1914)

24 illustrations by W.W. Collins; 8 maps; and 87 plans. Much in there concerning Avebury and hillforts.

I found this little gem yesterday - a facsimile copy published by The Lost Library (ISBN 9781906621056).

Edward Thomas mentions this author in the front note of his book The Icknield Way - thanking him for his help and kindness.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 18, 2011, 10:59
tjj wrote:

24 illustrations by W.W. Collins; 8 maps; and 87 plans. Much in there concerning Avebury and hillforts.

I found this little gem yesterday - a facsimile copy published by The Lost Library (ISBN 9781906621056).

Edward Thomas mentions this author in the front note of his book The Icknield Way - thanking him for his help and kindness.

Yes a superb little book. A lovely flavour of 'Olde England' present, so different to much of what's happening today. Thanks for mentioning it June.
VBB
558 posts

Aug 18, 2011, 16:02
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:

Yes a superb little book. A lovely flavour of 'Olde England' present, so different to much of what's happening today. Thanks for mentioning it June.

My kids nicknamed it "The Green Toads of Pondland by Hopperley Croaks"!
blossom
180 posts

Aug 18, 2011, 18:14
VBB wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:

My kids nicknamed it "The Green Toads of Pondland by Hopperley Croaks"!

That made me chuckle..;-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Aug 18, 2011, 18:25
Sounds like my kind of book, that.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Brecknock - RCAHMW
Aug 18, 2011, 18:37
"An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Brecknock (Brycheiniog) - Part i: Later Prehistoric Monuments and Unenclosed Settlements to 1000 A.D." Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (1997)

Absolutely beautiful hardback book, essentially Coflein (for Breconshire) in paper form.

Has comprehensive lists and details for Breconshire's: Cave Archaeology, Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic sites, Neolithic Court Tombs, Round Cairns and Barrows of the Bronze Age, Stone Circles and Stone Settings, Standing Stones, Burned Mounds, Unenclosed Settlements, Crannog (and some later things like inscribed stones). Includes lots of "lost" and destroyed sites.

329pp, 9 colour plates and 174 B&W illustrations, plans etc.

100% worth finding a second-hand copy if you're interested in South Wales' prehistory, despite being a few years old.
VBB
558 posts

Alexandra Walsham's Reformation of the Landscape
Aug 22, 2011, 08:34
…standing stones, earthworks, springs and wells,.. Aubrey, Stukeley, … the very readable Alexandra Walsham’s The Reformation of the Landscape: Religion, Identity, and Memory in Early Modern Britain and Ireland (Oxford University Press, 2011).

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Pwuc6n66U9IC&lpg=PP1&dq=walsham%20The%20Reformation%20of%20the%20Landscape%3A%20Religion%2C%20Identity%2C%20and%20Memory%20in%20Early%20Modern%20Britain%20and%20Ireland&pg=PA20#v=onepage&q&f=false
CARL
511 posts

Re: Books of possible interest
Aug 26, 2011, 12:46
Just picked up a copy of - Prehistoric Wiltshire (an illustrated guide) by Bob Clarke. £14.99 - 125 pages.

Have only had chance for a quick flick through - looks good. Lots of colour photos!! The foreword is by Francis Pryor.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Prehistoric Wiltshire: Bob Clarke
Aug 26, 2011, 13:21
CARL wrote:
Just picked up a copy of - Prehistoric Wiltshire (an illustrated guide) by Bob Clarke. £14.99 - 125 pages.

Have only had chance for a quick flick through - looks good. Lots of colour photos!! The foreword is by Francis Pryor.

Good stuff CARL! :-)

This may also be of interest.
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 129 30 31 32 33 34 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index