You too can leave your Tat inside Silbury Hill

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Re: You too can leave your Tat inside Silbury Hill
Mar 05, 2007, 10:28
tut! anyone thought about asking the geocachers? eh?

only joking..... or am I....
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: The wisdom to know when...
Mar 05, 2007, 11:03
Most of your concerns about the fill are well covered by the project's basic rules, which include "as close as possible to the original", reversibility and distinguishability. Chalk, with some sort of "marker" mixed into it is likely to do the job. Filling holes with chalk is a very well tested procedure (which is more than can be said for polystyrene, which has never been tried anywhere and any resultant downside can't be known - though we're about to find out if there is one!)

Chalk isn't perfect however - it is anticipated it will "slump" over time (to a degree dependant on how well packed they can make it, which is unknown) and as a result it is accepted that a degree of secondary slumping will continue above the tunnel for an unknown period of years.
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Re: The wisdom to know when...
Mar 05, 2007, 14:48
Interesting points. No one wants an obese Silbury I'm sure.
slumpystones
769 posts

EH reply to scathing letter...
Mar 05, 2007, 18:21
Dear All

To put your minds at rest, there are certainly no plans to deposit anything inside Silbury Hill.

English Heritage thought it would be appropriate to ask the various pagan groups and Druid Orders if they wished to be involved with the repairs to the Hill. We asked for suggestions on ceremonies or rituals to be performed when the tunnel was opened and/or when the tunnel was finally closed. All sensible and appropriate suggestions were to be considered even if certain groups wished to deposit items in the Hill. Obviously, certain groups would consider this totally inappropriate and English Heritage would not knowingly offend anybody.

The group I spoke to obviously caught on to this aspect of the discussion rather than any formal ceremony and has spiralled it way out of context. Please be assured that English Heritage has no intention of offending any individual or group.

Best wishes

Carole
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: EH reply to scathing letter...
Mar 05, 2007, 19:19
Am I misinterpreting this, or does it read like English Heritage won't be putting anything (or allowing anything to be put) in the hill, because it might Offend people?? Not anything to do with any archaeological reasons? or policy? or anything else?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 05, 2007, 19:35
On the basis of an account elsewhere I suspect an initial impression that they might well be sympathetic to the idea was given, without too much thought. Whereas the fuss generated by scallywags such as us made them think about it more deeply and realise it was a non-starter. Scallywag power can't be acknowledged though. ;)

As you imply, its not a question of not offending anyone its a question of doing what's right and there's no argument about what that is. Looks like me and Littlestone won't have a reason to set each other alight. Damn.
slumpystones
769 posts

Mar 05, 2007, 19:58
"Humphrey...this Silbury thing...I have a letter here from a constituent who wants to put a replca Aragorn sword from The Two Towers inside when we seal it up. Seems like a bit of a vote-winner, don't you agree ?"

"Yes, Minister"
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Mar 05, 2007, 21:10
Whereas the fuss generated by scallywags such as us made them think about it more deeply and realise it was a non-starter.

I strongly resent being referred to as a scallywag when there are much stronger appellations to hand ;-)

x
wysefool
wysefool
107 posts

Re: Slumpystones excellent comment
Mar 05, 2007, 21:26
A diatribe by a fool - or, why not put a sock in it? (apologies to those easily offended)

FACT: The only other thing to put in the hill except chalk is: Zil(ch)bury
GROAN: A Pagan Ritual would be nice, lets hope it'll be 'Merewether'.

After all those surveys and consultants and millions and wasted time, I kind of feel that we should have all got together and carried a bucket of chalk each up to the top, and just filled it in ourselves.

If we wanna restore it to its original state, why don't we strip the turf off and get back to exposed chalk. In fact, we could just rebuild it for £3 Million. Skanska! Scamska more like.

Fill it with a mixture of Chalk, flint, clay, winged ants, horses bridles, bbc camera lenses, human bones, a piece of devils apron, cornish pasty, a dash of mistletoe, knapweed and a few oak leaves for good measure. Heck, chuck in a druid, ashes or alive, just for good measure. I'm not proud.

Did you know that English Heritage, is just an anagram of Ethereal Sighing?, or Elegant Highrise, which is what the place might have been in those ancient times if those damned neolithic property developers had had their way.

If there are that many 'Arch' Druids, then why not get them all together and stick them inside the hill to support the structure. We wouldn't need to fill it with anything then would we? We could charge Americans to see it too.

But, when its all said and done;
My Mrs. (her outdoors) says we must trust the goddess in her wisdom on this matter, and I concur (but only for a quiet life).

the wysefool
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Mar 09, 2007, 11:54
[quote="Littlestone appellations to hand ;-)

[/quote]

Er, is that worth two in the bush ?

VBB :)
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index