Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Re: You are joking sire?
Sep 06, 2006, 13:55
Kammer wrote:
I take your point Dok, but I don't think clearing a community for the sake of outsiders is a very friendly suggestion either. The local people at Callanish already have to endure some pretty strange visitors, and I personally feel that some sensitivity towards their community is a good idea. They tolerate us lot, so we should at the very least do the same in return.

And that's a much nicer way of explaining it ;)
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 14:05
Rhiannon wrote:
I don't want to be argumentative but I really don't think it is that cliquey here?

I guess it's a matter of perception. It feels a little cliquey to me though. And I'm not even a lizzard-loving post-Atlantean druid!

Rhiannon wrote:
The only thing that gets a lot of people's backs up is -you know, the I'm-right-you're-wrong-I'mnotlisteninglalala lizard energy related stuff. And that's because of the immense amount of energy that's gone into futile threads 'discussing' it which have turned into slanging matches.

Without wanting to flog a dead horse.... people of that ilk are best ignored. Or banned. It should never have got to that stage, and IMHO, it's everbodies fault that it did.

Rhiannon wrote:
Maybe that makes people suspicious of 'alternative' ideas. I don't think there are obvious cliques of people who always side with each other, although I suppose there are clearly different groups of people who are into similar things eg photography, rock art, folklore, activism etc. but I don't think in a cliquey way. Maybe I'm like a fish and I can't see the water, but I thought everyone was quite open. Anyway I'm sorry you feel like that.

Maybe part of it is the small membership and the increasing (in my perception) focus on an interest in research. For me, my interest is in mood and atmosphere. I gave up trying to understand these places years ago, so now I just enjoy 'em and don't worry so much about theorising.

I've long thought that this forum could do with something like VBulletin so that you could have some sub-forums for different topics. It'd be nice to have a photography sub-forum for example. And it'd also be a good idea if you had an earth energies (or similar) sub-forum where people with such an interest could go to discuss their ideas. It'd make for a much more eclectic forum without interfering with the more serious discussions that appear to interest the majority of the current posters.
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 14:14
I have coffee now. The world seems a brighter place. Sorry to be turse.

K x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 14:26
doktoratomik wrote:
And it'd also be a good idea if you had an earth energies (or similar) sub-forum where people with such an interest could go to discuss their ideas.

Or, people who want to discuss such things could just go to a website that caters for that kind of thing. TMA is not obliged to provide a forum for everyone's needs. People do not have a gods-given right to post whatever they want on these forums.

I do not pretend to speak on TMA's behalf, but TMA does not seem to ban people arbitarily and it would be a bad thing if people were banned simply because they mentioned something such as earth energies or lizards. They should, however, be able to answer any questions asked of them without simply saying, "I'm right and the world will realise it one day." or "Only those with my special powers can detect this." Furthermore they should not resort to directing person insults at other members. It is that kind of behaviour that gets people banned, not their ideas.

This particular forum certainly isn't as cliquey as the HH forum for instance. As with any place where several people know some people quite well the appearance of cliquey-ness will come across as personal jokes are shared etc. There are bound to be pockets of people with certain views on various subjects, but these groups are not distinct across every topic discussed here.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 14:27
Kammer wrote:
I have coffee now. The world seems a brighter place. Sorry to be turse.

K x

:D
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 14:33
doktoratomik wrote:
Maybe part of it is the small membership and the increasing (in my perception) focus on an interest in research.

Broadly speaking I agree. There are at least three distinct perspectives that prehistoric sites can be enjoyed from; The mystical, the academic and the aesthetic. We probably all have our own mix of those three, but there's been a down-turn in the mystical.

K x
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 14:36
FourWinds wrote:
Or, people who want to discuss such things could just go to a website that caters for that kind of thing. TMA is not obliged to provide a forum for everyone's needs. People do not have a gods-given right to post whatever they want on these forums.

But straight away that's quite confrontational. Why respond like that to what was meant simply as a positive suggestion? I think this is exactly what makes these boards feel cliquey to me - deviate from the perceived manifesto and get met with hostility.

TMA may not be 'obliged' to cater for everyone's needs, but it should certainly recognise that as the largest megalithic resource on the net, it's certainly bound to attract a wide cross-section of interested parties. And let's face it - the colour scheme and design don't do much to put off the more alternative poster! I don't see any reason why it can't be all things to all men/women. Surely we should all be united by a desire to preserve and protect the places we care about? And maybe a little dialogue between the various communities might actually be constructive? But hey.... if TMA only caters to a specific interest group, maybe it should say so? Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough, but I can't see anywhere where it states that the site is only here to service the needs of one particular variety of interested people.

FourWinds wrote:
I do not pretend to speak on TMA's behalf, but TMA does not seem to ban people arbitarily and it would be a bad thing if people were banned simply because they mentioned something such as earth energies or lizards. They should, however, be able to answer any questions asked of them without simply saying, "I'm right and the world will realise it one day." or "Only those with my special powers can detect this." Furthermore they should not resort to directing person insults at other members. It is that kind of behaviour that gets people banned, not their ideas.

I think that was kinda my point. That kinda behaviour should result in much faster banning, IMHO.

Just some thoughts. Not looking for an argument here.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 14:43
I would say that having subsections of the forum would actually make it more cliquey. I enjoy sites from lots of different angles: finds and what they mean, aesthetic, folklore, 'atmosphere', 'mysticism', the lot. For me that's what makes it interesting. I don't think it would help to divide all these up in a forum because it's in the overlap where you learn stuff I think. And I don't think it hurts different types of people to read different takes on the same stones sometimes.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 14:45
Rhiannon wrote:
I would say that having subsections of the forum would actually make it more cliquey.

I disagree. It would simply prevent people from worrying about far-out theories dominating the forum. It'd also be nice to be able to visit specifc interest group sub-forums without having to sift through a mass of other threads. Seems to work like that on virtually every other forum with subsections. :D
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 14:47
and besides - 'You must be the change you wish to see in the world' - if you don;t think there's enough about atmosphere and simple enjoyment (or whatever) about the sites, then post it yourself. Why else do you think I'm so obsessive about inflicting fairy stories on the site? I think they should be there as part of the bigger picture, so I add them. Go for it.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index