Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Mystical, Academic or Aesthetic
Sep 06, 2006, 21:38
FourWinds wrote:
Here's a question for you (for anyone actually)

Can you have a conversation where both parties are playing devil's advocate. The Doc says he was doing so while at the same time I was doing so. Surely one person has to mean what they're saying.

No, when both parties are playing devil's advocate each is advocating what the other believes :-)

Look at it this way, it's like an old-fashioned duel with pistols at dawn - the duellers take ten paces away from each other and fire - thing is, they don't actually turn round to face each other so there's obviously no possibility of a hit ;-)
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 21:51
FourWinds wrote:
Surely one person has to mean what they're saying.

Depends on what each person actually believes. If a Creationist and a Darwinist are arguing about evlution, but the Creationist argues it's evidence of natural selection, whilst the Darwinist argues that it's just part of God's grad design, are they both being devils advocate?

More commonly, woud be two people who are in rough agreement, each illustrating the fact by being 'Devil's Advocate-ier than thou'. Especially so if they're talking about abstracty esoteric stuff, 'cos with such subjects, it's often as easy to define a thing by describing what it is not, because you're not exactly sure what it is in the first place.

I think I need to go look at some cup marks...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 21:59
'Devil's Advocate-ier than thou'.

LOL!

My Mother taught me how to think round corners, unfortunately she didn't teach me how to think my way home.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 22:22
FourWinds wrote:
Here's a question for you (for anyone actually)

Can you have a conversation where both parties are playing devil's advocate. The Doc says he was doing so while at the same time I was doing so. Surely one person has to mean what they're saying.

S'called the ancient art of compromise ;)
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 23:53
Spot on, I reckon.

love

Moth
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 07, 2006, 07:00
"I've gotta agree with DokAtomic here about the cliquey disregard to such seemingly weird notions. I know that to many folk when the expression 'earth energies' appears, everyone shouts Mike Croley and lizards - which is damn irrational and utterly unscientific of those concerned!"

I don't remember much of that happening. Mike and Croppy had funny ideas but Hob is right in what he says about them - they had a very good run here and left for things unconnected with their ideas.

Personally, I don't think there's likely to be a clique here against earth energies or anything else. Christianity and creationism would get a rigorous "examination" I expect but that's because most people here tend to have opposite views and be prepared to express them. So what? There'd be no clique and no burning at the stake purely because of the ideas.

I have proof. Twas me that suggested to Croppy to come here - specifically because "they've recently had a long discussion about dowsing and it got an unusually fair hearing with most people thinking parts of it have some validity". OK, it didn't work out in the end but that wasn't because of his ideas.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 07, 2006, 07:33
doktoratomik wrote:
S'called the ancient art of compromise ;)

Now you're just being silly and making up words - compromise? Wassat? ;-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: You are joking sire?
Sep 07, 2006, 07:58
"No that is what I call rude!"

It is indeed. Appallingly so. And out of character.
However, it has a context that extends beyond this forum which, were you fully aware of it, might make you view it differently.

However, within the context of this forum it was wrong and i apologise to the forum.
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2006, 10:01
Time out!
Sep 07, 2006, 08:39
...the above is all well and good, but this thread is way off-topic.

Try here for futher discussion...

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/tma/topic/35917/

K x
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index