This topic is locked

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Serious Conservation 2
Nov 06, 2003, 16:59
Your not from the Judean People's Front are you? ;o)
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

HA!
Nov 06, 2003, 17:03
Sorry to be a tw*t...
I just chugged through *most* of the original thread (165!? freaking freakers!), and I know I'm a know-nowt, but...

Have any of the words "antiquity", "antiquities" or "antiquarian" been discussed to connotate the ancient nature of the heritage? It's just that logo up there at the top of my screen and that book with the funny stripes an all kept leaping to the front of my mind.

Failing that, I'm off for me coat (truthfully) and:-

"Aye!"
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Heritage Action
Nov 06, 2003, 18:14
Eye!

Whatabout:

HERITAGE ACTION

Protecting Our Megalithic Inheritance
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Ha !
Nov 06, 2003, 18:43
My Blackstone has two tw*ts carved on the top. One became chipped off, probably as it was bundled into the fieldwall, maybe three hundred years ago. The alternative name for this Blackstone is the twatstone. It makes modern confrontational art seem like nappy smears.

I heard on the radio yesterday that if someone dies in the Houses of Parliament then they are always judged to have died on the way to hospital. To admit to a death in the house would invoke the need for the Queen to sit as coroner and to pronounce on the death. Nobody wants to put her to the, very occasional, bother.

In the same way academics of several 'disciplines' are going to pretend that this stone does not exist. I can just see it coming ! I wouldn't mind re-doing the black patina where it's been scraped away. I'll look for a lump of coal to grind up ! That will 'put the cat among the pigeons'.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: HA!
Nov 06, 2003, 20:29
That's what I kept saying yesterday, but, like the girl in 'The Fast Show' who comes up with ideas but is constantly ignored by the males around her, I gave up in the end.

I still feel very strongly we should have 'Antiquarian', 'Ancient' or 'Prehistory' in there some place. However, feel free to ignore me.

I'll get me coat.
J
x
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

'Archaeo-Action'
Nov 06, 2003, 20:32
Preserving prehistory for the future.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: A is for...
Nov 06, 2003, 20:37
Hear hear! (not the bit about the coat)

Mind you, the letter "A" could stand for whatever you want, sure you could *say* it stands for Action, but really you'd know it stands for Antiquarian, or Artichoke, or ....

H'ad on...

Heritage Antiquarian?
Hmmmm.

I'm glad I never took me coat off.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: A is for...
Nov 06, 2003, 20:40
Oh hi Hob! Nice to knwo someone's there...

Just a bit further up this thread I suggested <B>'Archaeo-Action'.</B>
That's got 'A's in it. Which is nice.
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Re: HA!
Nov 06, 2003, 20:41
I pushed for "Prehistoric" too but was told it had bad vibes. Why? What have we got so far after nearly 200 posts? Still faffing around the name! Action group or talk shop? Sorry, I know I'm a grumpy old sod, but it don't bode well if we ever want to take speedy effective action to actually protect a threatened piece of prehistoric heritage.

"Hang on a minute Mr Gravel Stripper - we want to stop you but we don't know what to call ourselves."
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Nigel's job...
Nov 06, 2003, 20:49
I like you :-)
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index