Getting Serious about Conservation
This topic is locked

Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Getting Serious about Conservation
Nov 05, 2003, 11:10
Sensible yes, but making it clear we're proactive and not boring or Establishment (that's us isn't it?)... so how about, instead of a mission statement, a sort of slogan after the title, like
Heritage Alliance - Fighting Against Apathy
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Nov 05, 2003, 11:10
Will you want any occasional editorial? (Or has my work on Stonehengineers scared you off?)

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Nov 05, 2003, 11:14
To me the 'strapline' needs to be more directly related to the central subject nigel. Not saying it should be this, but summat along the lines of

'Heritage Alliance - Caring About the Past'

(Not sure about the name yet meself but haven't got any suggestions as yet.)

love

Moth
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 05, 2003, 11:15
Definitely.
Subject to references of course.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Just playing with words...
Nov 05, 2003, 11:36
Breaking my rule of 'always avoid alliteration', how about:

-Passionately preserving the past
-Passionately preserving prehistory
-Our passion is preserving prehistoric places
-Preserving prehistoric places for people's pleasure

OK, OK, maybe the last one's a bit silly....

So, allow me this indulgence... a bit of Shakespeare?
'Pity, you ancient stones, those tender babes' -King Richard III: IV, i
'Like stones of worth they thinly placed are, ' -Sonnets: LII
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Just playing with words...
Nov 05, 2003, 11:38
'Passionate about Prehistory'

?

love

Moth
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 05, 2003, 11:40
The thing is, Heritage Conservation is such a vast field I think we need to define a role for ourselves, rather than merge into the general mass. After all, the National Trust we ain't, and most people here although they "care" seem more drawn to "fight" than the average heritage enthusiast. That could be our role, publicizing and running specific campaigns. It would keep the thing fresh and enthusiastic.

("Publicizing" again. Sorry Mr Windz).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 05, 2003, 11:51
The "passionate" stuff would serve the purpose, as well as "fight", I agree.
The bottom line as I see it is that most conservation movements go native and get mired in polite pro-establishment inertia. I'd like us to be a bit "edgy", quite likely to put up posters and cause loud noises and ring radio stations and give the likes of EH reason to jump when we grumble.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Nov 05, 2003, 11:53
Yeah, I thought about trying to keep it 'active' - & by coincidence (honest) Jane went for the 'passion' thang. I can see why you want it more 'combative' but I'm not sure it's necessary. But it's up to you!

Do you want to try to get the 'prehistoric' aspect into the strapline?

How about 'Heritage Alliance - fighting apathy towards our ancient past' (bit long & although I like the meaning, I don't like the word apathy - not 'plain English' enough.) I'll keep trying!!!

'Heritage Alliance - fighting for prehistory'

BTW I think I've worked out what I don't like about 'Heritage Alliance' - it reminds me of 'Countryside Alliance'!!!!!!

love

Moth
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Nov 05, 2003, 12:04
I don't like the word 'heritage' - it's not specific enough to the period we are passionate about.

I don't like the word 'Alliance' either. Makes me think of false promises and building societies.

And I would steer clear of 'fight', warrior' or 'combative' references. Too "Sally Army" and extreme.

'Passion' covers a multitude of sins and implies we do it in a loving and caring way, even if sometimes 'direct action' may be necessary.

Oh dear, that's not very helpful is it. Saying what I don't like and not suggesting alternatives.

I'm working on a document at the moment to do with lesbian and bi-sexual young women and I have entitled it 'Pride not prejudice'. Couldn't we do something under the 'pride', 'proud' banner?

Prehistoric Pride?

I dunno. I need coffee. And nicotine...
X
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index