Stone Shifting

158 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

stones and people
Aug 19, 2003, 19:26
Gordon, this thread has opened up a whole can of mental snakes in my head, and I'm having to keep a lid on it for the sake of my marriage ;-)

What I mean is, I've been thinking about the wider implications and reasons from moving these stones all that way. In order to do this, I can only imagine that the incentive was very very strong, it is no mean task! And considering the distance involved, I can't help thinking, either:

a. it was a communal effort supported by (tribes?) people in differing locales (i.e Wales/Wiltshire areas)

or

b. There was such a small population that itinerant megalithic culture needed only one group to orchestrate and implement the moving and erection.

Also what inspired the work? Were these people self-governing, a collective? Were they ruled by feudal means (I think this unlikely as the land was big and wild) Or were they serving a cause under the jurisdiction of (Druidic?) religious/spiritual goals?

The whole concept (nothing new here by way of enquiry I admit) forces me to think very carefully about many things from that age, i.e: Population, land use, land governance, time use, generational continuity (cultural), labour ethics/needs, social cohesion and/or organisation/s. On and on!

What a great thread, it's like someone just turned the last page on an old and worn book of conjecture, and began a new one with the word "Or..."

:-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index