Comet"s coming

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Comet"s coming
Mar 23, 2020, 23:20
...portent? Comet ATLAS. Capital letters not for effect, ask the namers why. Visible with naked eye from mid April. And it's green.
wychburyman
951 posts

Re: Comet"s coming
Mar 27, 2020, 08:56
spencer wrote:
...portent? Comet ATLAS. Capital letters not for effect, ask the namers why. Visible with naked eye from mid April. And it's green.

Yeah, I saw a report last week. Went out into the sticks last night to take a peek. Lovely clear night, I scanned with a good pair of 10x50s but couldn't see it. I think with it still being faint, green and with my eyes it was eluding me. Magnitude 8, so on the cusp of what's just about visible for me.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Mar 27, 2020, 11:23
Thanks for the heads-up, chaps. I had seen mention of this last week, but as it was on Facebook - and because of the clown who'd posted it, I had dismissed it as him having a laugh.
wychburyman
951 posts

Mar 27, 2020, 13:14
Kid Calamity wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up, chaps. I had seen mention of this last week, but as it was on Facebook - and because of the clown who'd posted it, I had dismissed it as him having a laugh.

errr I think it was me who posted it
Amil04
447 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2020, 20:25
Mar 27, 2020, 20:20
I was outside looking at the stars around 8.30 on Wednesday night. I saw what I presumed to be military aircraft flying on the same flight path. I had to look slightly away to see them better as they were only dim (unblinking) white lights. I counted at least ten..absolutely equidistant. They looked just like moving stars..bit stealthy..I’ve never known aircraft lights not to blink? Couldn’t hear them either even with it being so quiet.
I think we’ve lost the clear skies for a bit now in the uk sadly.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Mar 27, 2020, 20:50
hmmm....

https://freeditorial.com/en/books/the-day-of-the-triffids
tomatoman
118 posts

Re: Comet
Mar 28, 2020, 18:14
The line of lights are mini satellites being launched by Musk & Co. Stargazers are going to have to get used to them, I'm afraid
Amil04
447 posts

Mar 28, 2020, 20:52
I gather there’s some NATO exercises going on at the moment. I’ve never seen a formation like that before, They seemed to be travelling very much horizontally in a west east direction. I guess they were launched from the States? Who knows, it’s a possibility, thanks TM, I did see something about recent launches somewhere.
Day of the Triffids..ha..I remember the series in the seventies..and ‘Survivors’ god that sh!t me up.
I was terrified of my friends dachshund for ages ...nipped me in the ankle once..
tomatoman
118 posts

Mar 29, 2020, 15:43
I've now recalled that the satellite system is STARLINK all launched by SpaceX. If you choose to, there are online links to track their progress from a given location.
tomatoman
118 posts

Mar 29, 2020, 15:43
I've now recalled that the satellite system is STARLINK all launched by SpaceX. If you choose to, there are online links to track their progress from a given location.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index