Books!

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: Books!
Oct 28, 2020, 17:27
Tend to have a 'flitty' mind, so several books on the go at once.

Just finished a patchy novel called 'The Reddening' by ex Brummie Adam Nevill. Semi supernatural tale based around a 40 000 year old cave cult in Devon, an archaeological dig of aforementioned habitat, and local drug lords.
TBH, I found to a little dull. I love Adam Nevill's short horror stories, but over a novel, his pacing is all over the place, as is his exposition (you basically had the whole story by about a quarter way through the book). Its free to read on Prime reading if you have amazon prime account.

Shirley Jackson - Dark Tales
Great Short story collection, by legendary mystery writer.

Sussex Horrors - Various
More short horror stories, this time, surprisingly, based in Sussex.

England's Hidden Reverse - David Keenan
Having recommended this to JBLM in soundtracks, not read in a while, so thought I'd dip in again. Always a good reminder of the music and characters involved, and has me reaching for those records not heard in a while.

The British Landscape - Francis Pryor
Lots about prehistory, as you'd expect, less about other eras, though interesting, if written in a 'chatty' style.

Night Terrors (Scare Street) Vol:1 - Various
More short horror stories, though in this instance, not so patchy and quite enjoyable. As you can see, there's a theme here....always enjoyed a good scary tale, but I seen to be 'chowing down' on them much more than I usually do.

Under The Stars (A Journey into night) - Matt Gaw
I've always enjoyed a night hike, the world takes on a different vibe, and this author basically explores the pastime in various UK locations.

21st Century Yokel - Tom Cox
Another fella whose relocated to Devon, and his tales of exploring the county.

Paradise Sky - Joe R Lansdale
Used to enjoy his Hap and Leonard tales, so picked this up. Enjoyable enough romp about the adventures of a black cowboy in the heyday of the wild west. Written in the Lansdale inimitable jokey style. If there was one quibble, Id say it was waaaay overlong.

And finally...

Religion and the Decline of Magic - Keith Thomas
Interesting, if bookish overview of the subject. Though very well researched and full of wtf facts (maybe some of those BBC researchers for various period dramas should have a read...it seems at various times that quite a lot of the peasant/underclass were not church going cap doffers as we're led to believe).
Kwoo
60 posts

Oct 29, 2020, 23:40
Delighted to see some Viz on your list, Vybik Jon! I haven't picked one up in months.

Recently I read Anya Davidson's Band For Life. It's really fun and the art is so gnarly.

And also keep dipping into my book of Lydia Tomkiw poetry. So happy to finally have these poems collected in a book.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Nov 16, 2020, 23:02
Matt Haig - Notes on a nervous planet. Follow up to Reasons to stay alive, but looking at the mad anxiety inducing world we live in rather than how to deal with anxiety and depression. Plenty of well-drawn observations about things we know to be true but are grateful for the heads up nonetheless!
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 20, 2020, 13:12
Unofficial Britain by Gareth E. Rees. I'm highly recommending this to any urban explorers!
Kwoo
60 posts

Apr 18, 2021, 14:43
I'm reading Colette's La Vagabond. Also read Ripening Seed in a day or two a few weeks ago.

'How to Read Nancy', on Bushmiller's Nancy comics. About half of the book is dedicated to analysing different isolated elements of the very same gag.

Doing some exercises from a spooky old book on Anatomy for Life drawing.

And, as usual, keeping up with Bill Griffith's daily Zippy Strips.

"Are we having fun yet?"
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Apr 25, 2021, 22:30
Been on a bit of a Colin Wilson trip recently including his biographies of Bernard-Shaw and Jung. Now coming towards the end of a kind of best of - The Essential Colin Wilson. One of the most intelligent and insightful, nay - visionary writers that there ever was. Still think The Outsider takes some topping - so clear sighted is his writing at times.
keith a
9573 posts

Apr 26, 2021, 16:47
I read my first William Boyd novel recently, something I've been meaning to do for some time now.

I remember watching and enjoying a TV adaptation of Armadillo some years ago, but after all this time I recalled very little so there was little in the way of self-inflicted spoilers!

To be honest, a novel about loss adjusters probably doesn't scream excitement and after quite a dramatic opening Armadillo then takes a little while to get going, but stay with it because there are lots of interesting strands as Lorimer Black's life goes from one disaster to another and he's at a loss as to who is doing what and...well what exactly is going on!

Very well written, too x
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Apr 26, 2021, 19:52
Stephen King - The Waste Lands, The Dark Tower III
Kwoo
60 posts

Apr 26, 2021, 20:12
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Been on a bit of a Colin Wilson trip recently including his biographies of Bernard-Shaw and Jung.

You know, I've always thought I should get better acquainted with George Bernard Shaw. I grew up near his birthplace so we share, if nothing else, having walked the same ground.

I feel a bit heavy today so I'm reading translations of Renée Vivien. If I feel any heavier, I might read the French. Or some Leonard Cohen.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Apr 26, 2021, 21:22
GBS was one of Wilson's literary heroes - mainly for his optimism about the human condition and its future I think. I've got a big leather bound tome of the complete plays of GBS. Barely glanced at it as yet as I'm not sure I like reading plays! Still like it on my shelves though. Ha.

Haven't heard of your chap Vivien?
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index