Books!

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: Books!
Apr 28, 2021, 21:27
Currently loving 'The Greatest Night', a biog of 12th century warrior/influencer/kings right hand man/duplicitous cad/schemer/chancer etc.... William Marshall. For an historical biog, it's a real page turner.

Also a bit of fluff called 'The Adventures of Edward Brett', which is basically the adventures of a low level god and an older office secretary on their travels to eradicate evil spirits around the UK. surprisingly fun and enjoyable.

Read an interesting bit in the Grud yesterday about these Japanese 'locked room' whodunnits called 'Honkaku' which will probably be on me list fer reading in the next few weeks. Apparently all the clues to solve the crimes are in the text, so you can solve the crime ahead of the detective....fat chance of that with me, but they sounds cool.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/apr/27/honkaku-a-century-of-the-japanese-whodunnits-keeping-readers-guessing
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/feb/06/how-locked-room-mystery-king-seishi-yokomizo-english-agatha-christie
Kwoo
60 posts

May 01, 2021, 14:40
Renée Vivien was a Sapphic poet of the Belle Époche Paris. Very melancholic lesbian. One of my favourite writers, Colette, knew her though I don't think she was particularly taken by her work. As a person, Colette describes her as almost insufferably tragic and fragile, in a way that reminded me of a self-destructive friend I lost who simply could not be saved by anything.

But I thought it would be a good idea to read her work first-hand and see for myself. I like it more than I thought I would, but I'm probably a bit of a sap.

I got Dave Haslam's Looking For Love and read it in a day. It was a brief but intriguing little rabbit-hole
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Jan 02, 2022, 05:46
Solaris
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Jan 02, 2022, 17:41
Cut and paste from this weeks soundtracks...

Got the family to club together to purchase probably the most expensive book I've ever had at £60, Coil - The Universe is a Haunted House.
Arrived with bashed in corners (careless fuckin' couriers/bad Packing? who knows?) so not totally happy, and tbh, I'm not sure the contents warrant the price, so ho hum, as a Coil nut you never live and learn.
Also was given the Will Sargeant Bunnymen Memoir. Which is written in a nicely readable anecdotal style, though I've just past 200 odd pages and he's only just got together with 'Macul', so be forewarned if you're thinking of getting it. Old Will had a tough time as a kid, amazing he turned into the lovely fella he is. Also picked up the Nik Turner 'Hawkwind biog' on ebook, which I have to say, so far isn't all I would have wished for. Certainly not a patch on Joe Banks wonderful and exhaustive Hawkwind tome. Also gifted a 2000AD subscription for their 45th year in print, which I must admit I'm looking forward too massively.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 02, 2022, 20:44
Colin Wilson - Religion and the Rebel. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the guy. His insight and clarity of thought take some beating

Game of Thrones - A feast for crows. Flows along very nicely indeed and starts to divert from the tv series a bit more in this 4th book
Kwoo
60 posts

Jan 03, 2022, 01:05
More Colette! Reading a collection of her writing on film

Read Adrian Tomine's Loneliness of The Long Distance Cartoonist in one gulp

Flippin' through Tomi Ungerer's Underground Sketchbook

And just started this really cool zine series Weird Walk that some of you might enjoy. Lots of references to Cope (and other cool stuff), Stewart Lee also contributes a good bit.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

May 02, 2022, 04:59
Nancy comic strips
by Ernie Bushmiller
Kwoo
60 posts

May 03, 2022, 14:17
1001realapes wrote:
Nancy comic strips
by Ernie Bushmiller

Big fan of the Bushmillerverse.
Did you hear that story about Samuel Beckett writing to Ernie Bushmiller asking him to do gags that were not really gags (Nancy and Sluggo in garbage cans in the moonlight,etc). Well, it's a great yarn but apparently someone just made it up.

In a friend's house the other day I spied a book about the KLF on the shelf. Turns out it belonged to a former housemate so my friend said I could just have it. started reading it on downtime at work and enjoying it so far.

And I've just started Seumas o'Kelly's Waysiders.
Kwoo
60 posts

Aug 03, 2023, 10:33
Am absolutely aytin bewks this weather.

How to Read Donald Duck
The Angel and The Perverts
Fall of The House of Wilde
Gothic for Girls: Misty and British Comics
The Genius of James Thurber
Sisters of The Extreme
The Rainy Moon and Other Stories, Colette (thought I'd read all these but still had some left)
Fear, Les Daniel

When I'm finished No Machos or Popstars
gonna get on to John Robb's Art of Darkness

I think the perfect formula for simultaneous readin' is;

A visual book
A biography/factual/historical book
A novel / book of short stories
A book of criticism/theory
With some poetry sprinkled all over for visionary seasoning.

So I'm trying to have a bit of all that at all times. Especially as my current situation is extremely conducive to reading fuckloads. Ain't life sweet...
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Aug 11, 2023, 10:11
Frank Herbert - Dune Messiah
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index