Unsung Forum »
Whistle Test archive progs

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Whistle Test archive progs
Feb 13, 2003, 23:33
Apparently in about 1/2 an hour theres some archive Whistle Test thing on. Dunno who's featured but bound to be something decent on it (one hopes)
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: Whistle Test archive progs
Feb 14, 2003, 13:30
Yay!

It had Roxy Music and David Bowie and Jerry Lewis and the Beach Boys!!!!!!!!!
:)
Steve
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Feb 14, 2003, 13:55
Jerry Lewis..or Jerry Lee Lewis?...just picturing Jerry and Roxy on the same show...running up to Eno..

"Oh-oo..Look at the ba-aaald..Laaaay-deee!"

(said in best cringe-inducing Lewisian whine)
242 posts

Feb 15, 2003, 01:22
I think they did 1971-72 on Thursday, and will be progressing accordingly. I didn't realize what awful lyrics there are to Lyndisfarne's fog on the tyne. Bowie was doing that song (Queen Bitch?) off Hunky Dory with Mick Ronson on guitar, but the highlight for me was Roxy Music's Ladytron. Gawd they were good and looked rather exciting too - They looked a bit like Funkadelic or someone. The Beach boys weren't bad either - who was that in his dressing gown? Wasn't Brian Wilson was it? Don't remember what he looks like.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Feb 15, 2003, 12:34
It was Mike Love, and I think it was a bizarre woolly kimono rather than a dressing gown - obviously the japanese were into chunky knitwear in the early 70s just like everyone elese.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Feb 15, 2003, 18:02
The trouble is, all these "classic" Whistle Test performances have been aired loadsa times over the years. The 'Sounds Of The Seventies' series, for example, weighed heavily on OGWT live appearances, and the show's 30th anniversary a coupla years ago was comemmorated by a week of televised compilations and an excellent double DVD. Can there really be people out there who haven't seen 'Ladytron'? It's been shown so many times it's as familiar as a rock video.

What I'd like to see are the less obvious things that never get shown: National Health, Sassafras, and Steve Hillage are just a few such memories I'd like to relive.

And if they could get a few programmes put together without the winsome arrogance and posiness of Andy Kershaw, Mark Ellen and (especially) David Hepworth, all the better. Few presenters have induced in me the need to gag more than they.
Beebon
1375 posts

Feb 15, 2003, 19:42
Ah shutup! ;)

hheeh
nah really, i'd NEVER seen ladytron before and i LOVED it! absolutely brilliant viewing and it put a huge grin on me face.... i could understand what ur saying if i'd seen it loads, but it was first time for me and made me happy :-P

steve :)
Samsdice
Samsdice
46 posts

Feb 16, 2003, 02:04
The music was ok (roxy) but was ruined by the lounge lizard jump-on the-glam-bandwagon ferry pouting and posing - you could almost see him wanking in the mirror.
I liked the WishboneAsh clip.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Feb 16, 2003, 02:08
Then good for you, my friend. I'm glad it moved you. It is, irrespective of how many times it's been broadcast, a precious bit of footage. It's a shame though that (a) it doesn't feature the mysterious Graham Simpson, seen on the sleeve of the first Roxy album and never thereafter; and (b) that the band are merely miming to the album cut.

Ain't the first Roxy album just mint?
Samsdice
Samsdice
46 posts

Feb 16, 2003, 02:23
Yeah, but I still think Ferett is a wanker, with his aristocratic pretentions.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index