Hair & Skin Trading Co.+

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Hair & Skin Trading Co.+
Feb 05, 2003, 17:45
Anyone know anything about this lot or heard them?..Always been sort of curious about them,what with their cryptic name an album title(Jo in Nine G Hell),and I just ran across an article about them in an olddd mag,so my memory was re-stoked

Bassist and drummer from Loop plus a guitarst...Loop were one of those bands that I liked the *idea* of more than I actually liked their music

Hmm..another thread that??

Never heard any Main either..(the other Loop guy)..seems interesting from what I've read,but been leary as Loop didn't do much for me...s'ok..just not mind blowing or anything..

Annnnnnnnnnnyway.....anyone?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Hair & Skin Trading Co.+
Feb 05, 2003, 19:08
Yup used ta go and see them occasionally with the God Machine. Trying to think if that was just one tour or what.

saw Neil the bass guy inRough Trade in Neal's Yard
though he wasn't there last time I was in mayhap he left town. Went back to NZ or summat.
He gave me a copy of his Juicy Eureka cd when I bumped into him on a train in 97.

I thought their lps were dashed good. The first one is a lot more straightforward rocky though still pretty weird sounding.
Or is that the one you're talking about? the 3rd one has been seemingly heavily messede with in production and sounds very abstract in places.
Stevo
Np Peshay You got me burning
Telepathine
371 posts

Feb 05, 2003, 20:08
Yup, 2 x Loop members + some other guy. Think the intention was that HAST. Co had a sound more reminicent of Can, ie, more rhythm based and a little more 'experimental' than Loop. Can't say that they really achieved it to be honest. records are OK though. They have/had 3 CD's out (2 on Beggars Banquet, the third on Freek records FRR 011CD)
'Jo In 9 G Hell' was the first, which is fairly 'rocky', with the odd 'experimental' track thrown in. Kinda works, well sort of. The second one 'Over Valence', i haven't heard, so can't comment really and the 3rd is called 'Psychedelische Musique (Lava Surf Kunst)' which is my fav' of the lot. Lots of 'found sounds' and a little more micro rhythm/drone/noise oriented, tracks kinda melt into one another (well except for the heavy Cannishnesh of the all to brief 'Kinetic').

Hope this helps
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Feb 05, 2003, 20:35
Helps acres,thanks!..Like I said..just one of those bands I was curious about....I mean,for an awkward-ish name,it's still one that sticks with if it's gonna,y'know?..You *want* to like band with a name like that
..or not

The magazine I was reading was so old that it was from the time of the 1st release and they talked about wanting the band to be more rhythm based and allow for accents,outside sounds etc

From what you said above,TeeP,sounds like they got around to it by album 3...thanks for all the info!

File under:that answers that '-)
Telepathine
371 posts

Feb 05, 2003, 20:41
Am actually listening to the third one now, you inspired me to dig it up...it's definately more 'out there' than the earlier stuff'..not unlike the stuff you produce (and me for that matter), with a few more guitar layerings, and a little less delay. definately has that 'collage' feel to it.
S'better than i remember it, though haven't played it in a while.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Feb 05, 2003, 20:48
~lol~
I'm *just* writing you..cheers for the discs...3rd one sounds kinda ace then

Back to your mail..it will be a short one while I digest the awesome of the bundle to come '-)
Myer
42 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 01:30
The others have already added the essential
information for you but I would like to say that those threee records have been rocking at my stereo for years.
The first one Jo in nine G hell is the most industrial, percussive and diverse: Ground Zero is a kind of Jesus and Mary Chain´s Reverence with powerful drums and the bassline in the last long song
Pipeline is like a drill on your brain. You will also find tribal sonic trips like Kak or the more experimental Gala. All wrapped in a fine sleeve design, a fantastic paint by Arcimboldo, an italian Renaissance painter.

Over valence (2nd lp) is a more layered guitar piece with Laetitia Sadier from Stereolab at backing vocals in track 2 and more conventional structures but enjoyable indeed.

Procceed carefully with the third artifact!!!!
Psychedelische musique drives you towards unknown places and distant sounscapes. The German reference from the title is clear: the most twisted electronic sonic waves will disturb your mind and body, a true psychedelic experience. Glitches, electric debris and some crawling vocals along this awesome record tell us about real risk making music.

If you have any problem getting all this stuff, I will burn them for you. Sure!

regards.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 13:17
I picked up a copy of 'Psychedelische Musique (Lava Surf Kunst)' second-hand quite a while ago (how could I resist an album with that title?!), but only played it a couple of times and couldn't get into it. The various raving s here have nudged me into giving it another go. I'm gonna dig it out at some point over the next few days and give it another go... possibly sitting infront of the stereo with furrowed brow, scratching chin.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 13:36
Ooh..you do that m'lud...you just scratch that chinny chin chin '-)..let me know

And cheers for the extra info etc Myers..Much appreciated!!!
Telepathine
371 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 17:42
When i bought it ,it didn't really click i have to say. It as a real departure from the first CD i owned, which as i've said elsewhere was more 'rocky'. The tape was stuck in the player for weeks as i couldn't really be arsed to change it when i grabbed it hoofing out the door....over those weeks it really seeped my unconcious...i found i could 'listen' to it...and it sent me off in all sorts of directions regarding sampling ideas or whatever, or i could just let it wash over me whilst staring out the window of the bus or whatever watching the world drift by and just thinking about stuff. It's worth it for the sublime, but all to breif 'Kinetic', which is probably the only 'real' song on it. Hope you enjoy it, but i must admit, it did take time.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index