Register
Unsung Forum »
lou reed: the raven

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
elderford
482 posts

lou reed: the raven
Feb 05, 2003, 17:28
anyone got it yet? any good, i've read a couple of reviews which say there are a handful of great tracks, but as they're spread over a double album i can't face buying it.

particularly as i bought ecstacy the day it came out at full price and a month or so later reduced price copies were in bargain bins across the land.

plus all that creepy lyric on it about lou coming on women's shoes, it's like imagining your granddad having a wank.

...sorry i appear to be rambling, i'll get me coat.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Re: lou reed: the raven
Feb 05, 2003, 17:38
I've read fairly mixed things about it..I'll probably wait until the library gets a copy..which it is bound to

(small pun for the librarians out there)

The Raven was also relased in a single disc version as well...not sure which tracks were chosen or anything though
elderford
482 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 10:34
...limited edition in my local, £24.99. i'm definitely gonna wait this one out
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 10:41
I heard bits of it when it was reviewed on the radio last week. I genuinely thought it was a pisstake:

"This is Edgar Allen Poe
He's not the boy next do'"

The folk reviewing it thought it was shite. However, apparently there's a(nother) version of 'Perfect Day' on it which is worth the price alone.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

interview w/Lou
Feb 06, 2003, 16:58
In addition to "Perfect Day" there's also a remake of "The Bed". I haven't heard it yet but plan on getting it.

Here's a recent interview w/Lou:

www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/sho-sunday-reed02fix.html
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

another try
Feb 06, 2003, 16:58
http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/sho-sunday-reed02fix.html
elderford
482 posts

Re: depressing
Feb 07, 2003, 02:17
a remake of a 1972 and 1973 tracks, based on lyrics by a dead guy from the 19th century.

it doesn't sound too hopeful.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Re: depressing
Feb 07, 2003, 17:19
"The Bed" depressing? That's gotta be the understatement of the year (so far at least)!

I was intrigued by the comments comparing one of the tracks to MMM.
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Feb 07, 2003, 19:13
i've been listening to it for a week and i must say i think it's rather good. yes, the edgar allen poe song's a pisstake but it also chuffs along with charm. the narrative stuff might get people's backs up, but it's a good listen when you're on your own. some of the elctronic stuff's pretty good. i thought the last album was blinding too, especially possum and there's plenty of that sort of guitar sound on there. if you're a lou fan you'll dig it, if you're a casual aquaintance it'll leave you bemused. can't believe that price tho' - is he taking the piss?
Zos
389 posts

Feb 09, 2003, 19:09
I read in the NME that this version of Perfect Day was sung by "performance artist Anthony" - would this be the incredible Antony Johnson? (www.antonyandthejohnsons.com) - I know that Laurie Anderson recently namedropped him in an interview and I've been listening to his album almost constantly for the last couple of years, so if it is him, good on him!

However, I don't think I could stand ever listening to Perfect Day ever again after it was played so much on BBC1 for some reason I forget.

Z
Unsung Forum Index