Register
Unsung Forum »
Supergrass live at the Corn Exchange...

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Serotonin
175 posts

Supergrass live at the Corn Exchange...
Jan 23, 2003, 11:35
...were fantastic. The whole new album in sequence with half an hour of older songs sandwiched in between, plus Neil Young's The Loner...great stuff. In 30 years time, if I want to re-invest in one British band from my teens & twenties (on whatever audio format is around then) it'll have to be the 'grass.
The supports: Ed Harcourt, who I was more impressed by than I was on hearing Here Be Monsters, which wasn't quite my thing... Sounded much more energised, rocking and soulful.
The Raveonettes were first on. Sonic Youth #14... or is it #15? Despite those instant comparisons coming from cliched use of drumsticks on guitars, walls of noise and, to top it all off, a blonde female bassist, they had several really good catchy noise-pop songs. Too little variety to stretch over an entire gig or an album, though.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

The Raveonettes
Jan 23, 2003, 20:14
Planning to take these in on Monday 3rd February at The Little Civic if anyone fancies a pint...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Supergrass live at the Corn Exchange...
Jan 23, 2003, 20:14
Sounds cool dude. I like Supergrass a lot. That new single is the best T-Rex song that T-Rex never recorded. Glad you had a good un!
Pagan Dawn
Pagan Dawn
65 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 11:09
thats what i thought too moon cat !!great minds eh ?...
Pagan Dawn
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 14:02
Hmmmm...I'd already been curious for a long time about this band. So, T-Rex similarities, and they cover a Neil Young song that's not only a personal favorite but also one of his less well-known ones. That decides it.

Anyone have suggestions on which album to start with? Or do they have a greatest hits yet?

xxoo
SOA
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Supergrass live at the Corn Exchange
Jan 24, 2003, 14:19
Prolly, "I Should Coco" which has the fabulous 'Caught By The Fuzz' on it. That said, "In It For the Money" is a more grown up album and has the glorius 'Richard III' on it. Hmmm, just as well I've not heard the new album really.

I can categorically state that they are one of the most joyously entertaining live bands I've ever seen, though.
Pagan Dawn
Pagan Dawn
65 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 14:27
There was a greatest hits album out last year,cant remember what it was called(prob,Greatest Hits!).
The new one is out now and called "Life On Other Planets"Available at all good record shops..and some bad ones to...groan....old joke..
may faves have to be, Caught by the fuzz,Oh Grace,Alright and Telagram Sam.

8o)
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 15:00
This may have come up on Unsung before, but...

Mark and Lard have a group called The Shirehorses. Their album Our Kid Eh? is an amusing collection of pisstake covers of indie/chart tunes. The Supergrass one is Feel Like Shite and is well worth a listen.

Supergrass are fab. Very cool too I think.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 16:12
I'll second that aqk. Fantastic live band!

In It For The Money is the best album, I reckon.
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 16:27
Thanxxx to all. I'll probably start with I Should Coco. Going CD shopping this weekend, got it at the top of my list.
Unsung Forum Index