Cool Robert Wyatt prog on BBC4

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Cool Robert Wyatt prog on BBC4
Jan 18, 2003, 00:35
Tonight I saw the coolest programme about Robert Wyatt on the satellite/cable channel BBC4. To my knowledge it has never been shown on terrestial TV. It had recent live-in-the-studio renditions of songs from 'Rock Bottom', 'Old Rottenhat' and 'Shleep', and great archive footage of the Softs (with Kevin Ayers looking well hip) and Matching Mole, as well as a clip of Robert on 'Top Of The Pops' doing 'I'm A Believer' with a stellar backing band including Richard Sinclair and John Greaves! Loads of interesting interviews too, including the man himself, Brian Eno and Phil Manzanera. To a Canterbury Scene fiend like myself it was manna from heaven. Anybody else catch it?
joe90
10 posts

Re: Cool Robert Wyatt prog on BBC4
Jan 18, 2003, 00:46
Hey DW:

I think the real question is; did anyone tape it?
Want a copy,want a copy,want a copy,want a copy,want a copy,ad infinitum

Please!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jan 18, 2003, 17:53
Joe, I did indeed tape it. I haven't got copying facilities for video but I think I can get a copy made by a friend. Watch your doormat.

DW
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Being repeated
Jan 18, 2003, 21:52
It's on again tonight at 23:50 on BBC Four, folks!
joe90
10 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 00:23
thanks a million Dave. I am a huge Wyatt and Softs fan. Hey if you need a scan of the booklet that came with the Softs box set circa 1987, just ask.

Cheers,

J
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Re: Being repeated
Jan 19, 2003, 02:29
wish I got bbc4. I didn't know it even existed but by the sounds of it I would have loved the Wyatt show.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Being repeated
Jan 19, 2003, 03:10
It's an excellent channel actually. I mean, as far as TV channels go. In the past couple of months they've screened a couple of Björk things (an interview and a concert), a David Byrne gig, the Robert Wyat thang, interviews with Noam Chomsky and Michael Moore. oooooh and lots more besides. Beeb-4 is one of the very few remaining reasons to own a TV set.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 11:33
saw it last night - and yes there is some good stuff on the bbc4

aint it weird how most of the important artists of whatever u wish to call artist come across as mildly eccentric and long may it be so

shame there wasnt more about the early days as so much came from that era of his life

soaked in me tub to softs1 & 2 this morning

why are we sleeping
DarkMelvin
23 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 21:49
I love this place...
I was in a restaurant last night telling my girlfriend about a fantastic Robert Wyatt programme I'd seen
and when we got home
it was on again
Did you notice Weller was on slide guitar on the last song in the programme...
anyway
as i started off saying
there's always someone here
reading from the same songsheet...
It was indeed some of the most heartfelt tv I've seen inan age...make the world watch this...
duckbreath
254 posts

Robert Wytatt Video
Jan 20, 2003, 10:05
I missed the programme on BBC4 but I have a video called 'Little Red Riding Hood Hits the Road' which is a black and white film about RW by an Italian director and sounds quite similar - highlights are him on John Peel show in 70s & playing the melodica on a train round london.

I got it from Picadilly Records in Manchester who are generally able to order things like that.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index