Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 April 2024 CE

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Edited Apr 07, 2024, 13:25
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 April 2024 CE
Apr 07, 2024, 12:38
Greetings! A rare contribution from me this! I’m procrastinating see, so finding things to do, instead of trying to resolve something on a painting a few feet away from me.

Among this week’s musical intake, I actually went to two gigs, in Wolverhampton.

1) The Hives supported by (a spunky new act to me) Bad Nerves. An insanely crowed venue - Both bands played full pelt, rock solid music.

2) Hawkwind, supported by (spin-off band) Lords Of Form. The best I’ve seen Hawkwind in many a decade - and this is quite possibly their last full tour, surely. Dave Brock was absent from the stage for their final encore, I noticed. Another thing I noticed was (comedian and Gingko favourite) Stewart Lee standing quite close to me. I slipped him a CD-R of music by my beat combo to serenade his journey home. Trouble was, having knocked it together to give to fellow HHer Vince Diamond, I’m not I actually sure I wrote who the music was by on it. Bum.

On the turntable

‘A Beard Of Stars: Tyrannosaurus Rex. This is a new acquisition, replacing a strangely rotted 70s pressing of the album by US label Blue Thumb. The heavy card and lush duotone, sepia effect sleeve I’m keeping and now using to house this 2014 remastered version. The additional out-takes disc can stay in the sleeve it came in though.

‘Coexist’: XX
Picked up in a secondhand record shop Deptford a couple of weeks ago, this one is destined to be a grower. The first whirl tells me that.

In The Shed CD player

‘Infinity Of Now’, Telemetric Sound’ and The Last Transission’: The Heliocentrics

MOJO Presents Africa Rising: Various Artists

‘The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte’: Sparks

‘Mink Hollow Road’: The Mummers

Streaming / Download (Bandcamp)

‘Contourist’: Saul Yarg / Rubber Bus

‘Battery Life’: Neil Cowley

’The Banishing’: Kavus Torabi

’The BBC Sessions’: The Utopia Strong

…right, back to work.

Unsung Forum Index