Jimmy Cliff / V.A. - The Harder They Come
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Mar 31, 2024, 09:20
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 30 March 2024 CE
Mar 31, 2024, 09:19
Walking along just kicking stones, m-minding my own business:

Jim Capaldi ‘The Contender’ & ‘One Man Mission’ - Jim had a far more substantial solo career outside of Traffic than he’s remembered for. All of his albums have merit with decent songs and renowned musicians. These 1978 and 1984 LPs rather sank without trace but deserve a listen;

David Sylvian ‘Manafon’ - his last song-based album, though by this stage Sylvian’s “songs” were extemporised around abstract instrumental backgrounds. Could have been excruciating, but ended up exhilarating in its quiet and subdued complexity. (Sheeat - Pseuds Corner, or what?);

The Jesus & Mary Chain ‘Glasgow Eyes’ - a bit underwhelming on first listen, but I know that perseverance pays with this band;

The Wedding Present ‘24 Songs’ - the boy Gedge has still got it. I’d checked out briefly with ‘Going Going’ but this 2022 tranche of fabbo 45s has won me back. Life enhancing. Cheers Dave;

Judas Priest ‘Invincible Shield’ - oh dear: at this rate I might end up choosing a metal album as my record of the year;

Paul Stanley S/T - comfortably the best of the 1978 Kiss solo albums, because it sounds the most like Kiss. Ace’s aside, they mostly don’t;

Paul Stanley ‘Live To Win’ - his second solo effort from 2006 is far superior to anything Kiss released post ‘Psycho Circus’, to my jaded ears anyway;

Paul Weller ‘Whoosh’ EP - that Weller can casually issue outtakes as quality as these says loads for the dude’s talent;

The Police ‘Regatta de Blanc’ - there’s a lot about The Police that annoys me but the infectiousness of much of their music keeps me listening. This is my fave of their albums;

Steel Pulse ‘Handsworth Revolution’ - this might just be my fave ever reggae album, from a song based perspective anyway. And it still sounds fresh, 46 years on. (God, I loved 1978. Buzzcocks, Revolver, ale… oh for a time machine);

The Brothers Comatose ‘Kickin’ Up The Dust’ - good time bluegrass, y’all;

Pat Metheny Group ‘Travels’ - 1983 live double that I consider definitive PMG. Gently powerful, and joyous;

Don Byas ‘Classic Don Byas Sessions 1944-1946’ - up to Disc 4 now, and the artistry of this dude becomes ever more apparent. Prime mid-40s pre-bebop, miraculously transferred;

Schubert: Trout Quintet/Schumann: Violin Sonata no.1/Beethoven: Waldstein Sonata (all feat. Rudolf Serkin) - I delivered a Serkin programme for my friends at the Newcastle Recorded Music Group this week and it seemed to go down well. The Beethoven recording dates from 1986 and has only recently been released. As your average Gramophone reviewer wouldn’t say, it’s fucking momentous;

Sibelius: Violin Concerto (Christian Ferras/BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - Ferras had a unique sweet tone that contrasted beautifully with the Berlin Phil’s thick sound;

Beethoven: Symphony no.4 (Czech PO/Janos Ferencsik) - straight ahead, clean rendition of LvB’s sunniest symphony;

Beethoven: Symphony no.3 (BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - Karajan’s 1962 recording of the Eroica is his best: incisive and powerful without being overdriven;

Wagner: Flying Dutchman Ov/Dvorak: Scherzo capriccioso/Schubert: Symphony no.8 (all Pittsburgh SO/William Steinberg) - it’s taken too long for Steinberg’s Command legacy to hit CD, but DG have happily acquired the rights. These are fine, unaffected performances typical of the man.

What we want and what we get are not always the same.

Happy Easter!

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Mar 31, 2024, 09:43
Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
Bob Dylan - Self Portrait

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Safe As Milk
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - It Comes To You In A Plain Brown Wrapper
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Lick My Decals Off Baby

Neu! - Neu! 75
Neu! - Neu! 86

Donovan - Open Road

Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief
Fairport Convention - Full House

Vangelis - Reprise 1990-1999

Thompson Twins - A Product Of...
Thompson Twins - Set

Original Concept Recording Cast - Jesus Christ Superstar

Genesis - Spot The Pigeon / 3x3 EPs

Tim Hardin - Suite For Susan Moore & Damion-We Are-One, One, All In One
Tim Hardin - Bird On A Wire
Tim Hardin - Painted Head
Tim Hardin - Nine

Kraftwerk - The Mix

Popol Vuh - Affenstunde
Popol Vuh - In Den Gärten Pharaos
Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra

Karuna Khyal - Alomoni 1985

People - Ceremony: Buddha Meet Rock

Tom Lehrer - Songs By Tom Lehrer (stereo re-recording)
Tom Lehrer - That Was The Year That Was

Kate Bush - Before The Dawn
Kate Bush - The Other Sides

Kluster - Klopfzeichen
Kluster - Zwei-Osterei

Sergius Golowin - Lord Krishna Von Goloka

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Far East Family Band - Parallel World
Far East Family Band - Tenkujin

Spirogyra - Bells, Boots & Shambles

13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Mar 31, 2024, 09:50
Acid Mothers Temple & The Cosmic Inferno - Iao Chant From The Cosmic Inferno

Amorphous Androgynous/ V/A - A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Vol 3: The 3rd Ear

Broadcast - Haha Sound / Maida Vale Sessions

Tim Buckley - Happy Sad / Blue Afternoon / Lorca

Coil - The Angelic Conversation (OST & Instrumental) / Unnatural History II & III

Julian Cope - Cope's Notes #5: The Modern Antiquarian / Robin Hood

Miles Davis - A Silent Way / Bitches Brew

The Doors - In Concert / Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine

Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Stategy) / Another Green World

PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea: Demos / White Chalk: Demos / Let England Shake: Demos

Kraftwerk - Radio-Activity / Trans Europe Express

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks / Moondance

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here / Animals / The Wall

Psychic TV - N.Y. Scum Haters / Pagan Day / Psychedelic Violence

Patti Smith - Dream Of Life / Gone Again / Peace & Noise

Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies / Pure Phase

The Teardrop Explodes - Piano / Cold War Psychedelia

Trees - The Garden Of Jane Delawney / On The Shore

Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other / H To He Who Am The Only One (2021 Remaster & Remix)

Tom Waits - Asylum Years / Rain Dogs
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Mar 31, 2024, 11:09
Happy Sunday folks. Another week mostly in post-punk world, focusing on a bunch of terrific compilations I haven't played for a while:

Live From The Roxy
Rabid/TJM Punk Singles Collection
Totally Wired
'The Zoo' Uncaged 1978-1982
Cheap Tricks In A Box - Dining Out Records 1978-1982
DIY - Do It Yourself
In The Beginning There Was Rhythm
Disco Not Disco
New York Noise: Dance Music From The New York Underground
Rip It Up And Start Again: Post-Punk 1978-1984
GRLZ: Women Ahead Of Their Time
To The Outside Of Everything

Otherwise:

Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music For Airports
Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe
Kraftwerk - The Man- Machine
Siouxsie & The Banshees - The Scream
Wire - Chairs Missing
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
The Raincoats - The Raincoats
The Slits - The Slits

Meat Beat Manifesto - Peel Session EP
Pet Shop Boys - Relentless
Swervedriver - Last Train To Satansville EP

Epic45 - Drakelow

Maria Uzor - Soft Cuts
Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan - Interim Report, March 1979
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Mar 31, 2024, 11:11
Large Plants- The Thorn
BMX Bandits- Music from the Film Dreaded Light
Peter Laughner- Fat City Jive (Box Set disc one)
The Flys- Waikiki Beach Party Refugees
Ornette Coleman- The Empty Foxhole
The Love Explosion- Soft Brain
Genesis- Live
A Tribe Called Quest- Low End Theory
Amon Duul 2- Live in London
Depeche Mode- Violator
V/A- Gather In The Mushrooms
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Mar 31, 2024, 15:10
Mar 31, 2024, 15:09
Yowza!

Youth meets Jah Wobble: Acid Punk Dub Apocalypse
Hmmm, never has a title been so over stated. It is neither acid, dub or any type of apocalype, in fact, considering who is involved, it's a piss weak disappoitment.

Chrome - Blue Exposure
See above. Red Exposure is one of my fav Chrome records, but this..... well the title track sounds like Slade if they'd come up with Brainstorm, minus the bellows of Noddy. Really don't bother, bit if you're curious. https://chromemusic.bandcamp.com/album/blue-exposure

Luke Haines - Setting The Dogs on the Post Punk Postman
I've a lot of time for Luke Haines, the mostly forgotten and unchampioned Indie journeymen whose records, even when new, go for laughably small amounts of cash. Generally, his recordings are laced with absurdist dark humour and spite, and like Copes' more recent efforts are fairly lo key and put a smile on my face. Saw this one in my local record emporium and thougt I'd give it a punt. Well, I should't have bothered. This one is a phoned in affair from the darkest depths of Meh! town. Avoid.

Black Box Recorder - The Facts of Life
Remember enjoying this when it came out. It hasn't aged well. There's only so much breathy sung/spoke vocalisation with perfect diction I can take these days. How the hell did this stuff get released. Another Haines downvote.

Ocsid - In Between
Bought this eons ago cheap from the Wire site as was cos' Graham Lewis was it, and I was at the height of my reinterest in Wire on the back of Read and Burn et al. Probably played it last when I was reflooring my kids bedroom, so 2005 I'm guessing. It's immemorable cobblers, and probably won't get played again for another 20 years when I have forgotten just how dull it is, and put it on again.

Coil - Moons Milk In Four Phases (Dais Reissue)
I own the orignal four Equino/Solstice CDEP's (albeit, with the Winter disc having the wrong cover cos' my local (now shut) record shop sold the right cover to someone else as the Spring Equino single (Who says rcord store staff are bright?). Anyway, bought this mostly because of the limted CDr tag on that was originally given away with the 2002 2CD reissue which I've had on, ahem, CDr from those happy days of internet sharing. Don't know if this has been remastered, or is just another reissue, but it sounds fine to me. Arguably the start of Coil MK II, With their more punishing/Kosmische/song oriented approach to musick. Top stuff, and a fraction of the cost of chasing down those original editions/reissues. If nothing else, have a listen to the Summer/Winter tracks, they area mongst some of Coil's finest releases.
https://coilofficial.bandcamp.com/album/moons-milk-in-four-phases

Julia Cope - Rite At Ya
Was reading the massive Cope recording list of releases ad reviews over on Steve Hoffmon forum which prompted digging this out. Enjoyed it for the most part.

Julian Cope - 131 OST
Some beautiful HH head put this together in MP3 form about the time of the 131 book (could have been Common Era, he was nice like that, though I'm not certain who did it) of most of the Cope 'bands' created around the book.
Daft and enjoyable in eaqual measure.

S?’?akkabad?ò?ra?-?H?è?mina - Neon Sardinia
Above lead to the full album. This is almost proto Dope in parts. Got quite a few spins this week. Top Stuff!
https://neonsardinia.bandcamp.com/track/s-akkabad-ra-h-mina-edit

Trees Speak - Shadow Falls
Berlin school arps meet post punk electronics. One of the guys contributing to this is an amazing artist of sci fi/Occult themes.... check him out .... https://www.danielmartindiaz.com/

Lumerians - Tranmalina
Loved these guys, but they seemed to fizzle out over time.

Currently reading the Electric Wizard biog. In the current trend of 'not very impressed' that seems to prevail in this weeks list, this is terrible.
It comes across as being written by some 15 year old fan boy, and in parts is just a gloryfied album track by track run through with extended 'influences' (be that films/books/comics, and the entire bloody story involved in these particulars....talk about filler). The opening chapter being a tour of Wimbourne, Dorsets very own shit hole/ arse end of nowhere ... pick your epithet. No real insight into the band above the lead guy being a bored, stoned dolester who was a bit anxious, got involved in petty crime and felt like a bit of an outsider. I love the sounds of Electric Wizard, but wish I'd not bothered with the book. Just glad I didn't buy the original hard back edition at 30 odd notes (pretty though it looks). I'm about a third of the way through, not sure I'm gonna get much further truth be told. Can't believe the author writes for the Quietus. Ho Hum

Keep Well. x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Mar 31, 2024, 15:27
Monganaut wrote:
Yowza!

Youth meets Jah Wobble: Acid Punk Dub Apocalypse
Hmmm, never has a title been so over stated. It is neither acid, dub or any type of apocalype, in fact, considering who is involved, it's a piss weak disappoitment.

What a shame, this could have been epic.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Mar 31, 2024, 15:29
Fitter Stoke wrote:
David Sylvian ‘Manafon’ - his last song-based album, though by this stage Sylvian’s “songs” were extemporised around abstract instrumental backgrounds. Could have been excruciating, but ended up exhilarating in its quiet and subdued complexity. (Sheeat - Pseuds Corner, or what?);

I haven't played this in ages, but will revisit following your prompt. I really enjoyed it at the time, even if I haven't much idea what he's going on about on most of the songs.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Mar 31, 2024, 15:52
My thoughts eactly! I mean it's Killing Joke/ Producer YOUTH and JAH fuckin WOBBLE. Disappointed doesn't cover it. Mind you, make up your own mind, most of it is up on youtube. You may think I'm being overly harsh.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index