V.A. - The Frog Blues & Jazz Annual No. 1

V.A. - Those Shocking Shaking Days
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Edited Mar 03, 2024, 13:09
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 March 2024 CE
Mar 03, 2024, 10:47
Broadcast - Haha Sound / Investigate Witch Cults Of The Radio Age (with The Focus Group) / The Future Crayon

Can - Live In Paris 1973 / Future Days & Future Nights / Horror Trip In The Paperhouse

Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll / Heaven Or Las Vegas

The Cramps - Off The Bone

The Cure - Melkweg, Amsterdam 1979 / Faith / Carnage Visors

Miles Davis - Agharta / Pagaea

The Fall - Grotesque

The Incredible String Band - S/t / The 5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of Onion

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King / In The Wake Of Poseidon / Live At Summit Studios, Denver 12-3-72

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady / Mingus (x5)

Ozric Tentacles - Pungent Effulgent / Erpland

Lee 'Scratch' Perry - Time Boom X De Devil Dead (with Dub Syndicate) / Reggae Greats / Lee Perry The Upsetter Essential Madness The Scratch Files

Otis Redding - Dock Of The Bay: The Definitive Collection

The Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia / CBGBs 1979

Spacemen 3 - Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To / Playing With Fire (2cd) / Recurring

The Velvet Underground - ... & Nico (mono) / 1969

Tom Waits - Closing Time / The Heart Of Saturday Night

Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka / The Grand Wazoo

V/A

Cloud Cuckooland (Finders Keepers)

Neu Decade (Mojo)
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Mar 03, 2024, 11:23
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
The Velvet Underground - VU
The Velvet Underground - Another View

Kate Bush - Never For Ever

Focus - In And Out Of Focus
Focus - Focus II
Focus - Focus 3

Vangelis - Direct
Vangelis - The City
Jon & Vangelis - Page Of Life
Vangelis - 1492: Conquest Of Paradise
Vangelis - Frankenstein: The Modern Prometheus

The Stranglers - The Raven
The Stranglers - The Gospel According To The Men In Black
The Stranglers - La Folie
The Stranglers - Feline

David Bowie - Black Tie White Noise
David Bowie - Buddah Of Suburbia

Magma - .M.D.K.
Magma - Köhntarkösz
Magma - ?dü Wüdü

Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide

Grey Malkin, Kitchen Cynics & Margery Daw - Weeping Stones

The City - Now That Everything's Been Said
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Mar 03, 2024, 11:52
Mar 03, 2024, 11:50
And the tension builds:

Gig: Fairport Convention at Sunderland’s Fire Station. I’m ashamed to admit that despite having dug Fairport’s records for over three quarters of my now pension age life, this was the first time I’ve caught them live (though I’ve seen Richard Thompson many times). These five 70-plus gadgies knocked me out over a thoroughly entertaining two hours including goodies old and (nearly) new. And how many bands can still boast in their current ranks THREE members that played on an album made in 1970? Needless to say, the ‘Full House’ numbers were rendered wonderfully - but so was the whole set. They’re a good laugh too;

Richard & Linda Thompson ‘Hokey Pokey’ - ace second album that I like even more than ‘Bright Lights Tonight’. How much younger does Richard sound on this;

Jim Capaldi ‘Short Cut Draw Blood’ & ‘Let The Thunder Cry’ - two highly respectable LPs that deserve far more attention that they received. Songs are mostly excellent and Jim’s vocals likewise. Had he starred in a different band we’d all be hailing his singing from the rooftops;

Steven Wilson ‘Insurgentes’ - the first album released under SW’s own name (as distinct from his earliest PT efforts) is his moodiest and most distinctive. If it reminds me of Radiohead it’s not in its sound or songs, more its ethereal vibe. A slow burner and a keeper, this;

Big Big Train ‘The Likes Of Us’ - despite major line-up changes (including the sudden death of their former lead vocalist), BBT return with a new album full of their customary craft, imagination and charm. So much more than just another prog band, these;

Killing Joke ‘…what’s THIS for?’ - Adam and the Ants on steroids;

Patti Smith Group ‘Radio Ethiopia’ - I guess I’m in a minority preferring this to ‘Horses’ but hey, I just do, okay? In fact, it’s my fave of all of her albums. She’s never shown more edge than here;

Clearlight ‘Forever Blowing Bubbles’ - pretty cool French prog from 1975, with a Hillage soundalike axeman and a way out of tune piano;

Tom Verlaine ‘Dreamtime’ - and this, after ‘Marquee Moon’, is my choice Verlaine platter. I miss you, dude;

The Beatles ‘Mono Masters’ (selections) - proof that some of The Fabs’ best stuff was relegated to B side or EP status. And weren’t the four “new” ‘Yellow Submarine’ tracks sublime? It’s all too much;

Richard Barbieri ‘Planets + Persona’ - kind of like ‘My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts’ brought into the 21st Century, and I mean that as a compliment;

Paul Weller ‘Soul Wandering’ 45 - great, uptempo taster for Paul’s new album. I also played his 2022 ‘Glad Times (Soul Steppers)’ remix which had eluded me until now. Disco lives!

Nick Lowe ‘Dig My Mood’ - oh, I do Nick. And that this is probably your best album. Sheer Brentford class;

Randy Travis ‘This Is Me’ - mid-90s album I hadn’t played for at least twenty years. It really shone out of my speakers. The poor dude has been held back after a bad stroke but he’s left a substantial legacy of quality country records;

Tony Bennett & Dave Brubeck ‘The White House Sessions 1962’ - I dunno if JFK was present at this gig but, if he was, what a treat he had;

Dizzy Gillespie ‘Jumbo Caribe’ - Diz goes Latin with Verve (capital V intended);

John Coltrane ‘Live at Birdland’ - Trane’s classic quartet caught live and in the studio in 1963, just before Trane’s dive into abstraction. McCoy Tyner is on particularly good form;

Jan Garbarek Quartet ‘Afric Pepperbird’ - early ECM classic now reissued on audiophile vinyl. A career high for Garbarek in my opinion, and one of the finest jazz albums in my collection. I favourably reviewed this in Unsung aons ago, and I still stand by every word, except to add that I now consider its four short “filler” tracks excellent too;

Dino Saluzzi ‘Andina’ - I know no other bandoneon players than Saluzzi, but I do know that I love the sounds he makes from his. This 1988 album is haunting and beautiful;

Bizet: Symphony in C and John McCabe: Symphony no.2 (both CBSO/Louis Fremaux) - Fremaux brings out all the Gallic joy of Bizet’s young masterpiece as well as all the tumult and calm of McCabe’s unsung work. Proof that the Birmingham orchestra was in rude form well before Simon Rattle took over;

Beethoven: Symphonies 4 & 5 (Nat Orch Washington/Gianandrea Noseda) - one of the most vibrant and exciting new Beethoven CDs I’ve heard for years. I also played their First and Seventh which were almost as good, but just short of great, an exceptionally fast take on the Seventh’s last movement notwithstanding. A rather murky recording doesn’t help;

Beethoven: Symphony no.9 (Ukrainian Freedom Orch/Keri-Lynn Wilson) - oh dear, I really wanted to like this but it’s severely compromised by what must be one of the most perfunctory readings of the slow movement I’ve ever heard;

Mozart: Symphonies 39, 40 & 41 (Orch of 18th Cent/Frans Brueggen) - another album that offers refreshing takes on old warhorses. Brueggen remained a vital conductor even in his final years;

Dvorak: String Quartet Op.96 ‘American’ (Janacek Quartet) - an echt-Bohemian performance from 1963 that more than holds its own today;

Lead me not into temptation.

Keep safe and smiling

Dave x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Mar 03, 2024, 12:55
Can't wait for '78. Five repeat players this week:

Dr Alimantado - Best Dressed Chicken In Town
Japan - Obscure Alternatives
La Dusseldorf - Viva
X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents (deluxe)
Yellow Magic Orchestra - Yellow Magic Orchestra (Japanese version)

Otherwise:

V/A - Discreet Ruminations and Oblique 45s: Brian's Imaginary Jukebox

Eno, Moebius, Roedelius - After The Heat
Siouxsie & The Banshees - The Scream

Marsheaux - Peek a Boo

V/A - Strange Selectors (Werra Foxma)
V/A - You Are The Fabric (Werra Foxma)
New Model Army - Sinfonia
Acid_Trash
10 posts

Mar 03, 2024, 13:41
Camel "Moonmadness"
Annie Haslam "Annie in Wonderland"
The John Renbourn Group "A Maid in Bedlam"
Equimanthorn "Lectionum Antiquarum" + "A Fifth Conjuration"
Ceremonial Torture "Sabbath, Thou Arts" + the splits with Hail Conjurer and Black Goat
Funeral Frost "Queen of Frost"
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Mar 03, 2024, 14:04
Recently:

Future Sound of London - ISDN - Dead Cities

Faust - BBC Sessions - 71 minutes.

NYX/Gazelle Twin - Deep England

Nirvana - Live and Loud - In Utero. Wasn't feeling any of these

Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts VI: Locusts. The kind of music that gets played on Adam Curtis documentaries. The very kind in fact!

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Let Love in

New Model Army - Thunder and consolation - The Love of Hopeless Causes

New Fast Automatic Daffodils - Pigeonhole - Body Exit Mind. Particularly enjoyed these two having been more familiar with the former.

That'll do
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Edited Mar 03, 2024, 14:22
Mar 03, 2024, 14:08
Timeshard - Planet Dog Years

Rrose - Touch Please

The Green Child - S/T, Shimmering Bassett

Coil - Moons Milk in Four Phases

Dope - Semi Legal on the Edge of Culture
prob my fav Dope release, love the mixed in dub elements at the end of track 2

King Gizzard.... - Demos Vol: 5-6

Oneida - Each One, Teach One
Let me step into the Light Light Light Light........

A Certian Ratio - The Graveyard and The Ballroom

Vince Clarke - Songs of Silence

Gareth Liddiard - Strange Tourist
Acoustic edginess that really gets in there. https://tropicalfstorm.bandcamp.com/album/strange-tourist

Public Interest - Spiritual Pollution

Nik Turner - Space Ritual 1994 Live

Various

Soul Jazz Recordings - Cold Wave #1/#2

God Unknown - Singles Club V1

Jeffrey Lee Pierce Sessions Project - The Task Has Overwhelmed Us
Some interesting versions of JLP's back catalogue.
https://glitterhouserecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-task-has-overwhelmed-us

Just read the Paul Simpson biog Revolutionary Spirit: A Post-Punk Exorcism
Good read, makes the most of a hit and miss career, but the guy sure can lay on the pretension when he feels like it. still, enjoyed it mostly.
Also enjoying the Paul Morris biog Record, Play, Pause. Prob my fav so far of of all those Joy Div/New Order biogs. Great sense of throwaway humour. Deffo worth your time.

Keep well.x
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Mar 03, 2024, 14:15
FSOL have been releasing/rereleasing/updating a bunch of back catalogue stuff and versions of late which are still mostly worthy of a good listen.
Certainly not lost their ambient magic. https://fsol.bandcamp.com/
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Mar 03, 2024, 14:36
Wow! Plenty there
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index