7 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 October 2023 CE
Oct 08, 2023, 09:15
This week’s suicide prevention plan:

Eels ‘The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett’ - one of E’s subtlest utterances, and one that rewards patient listening;

The Fall ‘Bingo Master’s Break Out’, ‘It’s The New Thing’ and ‘Rowche Rumble’ 45s - oh how I loved The Fall in their earliest days, a love that was to fade to mere respect in later years;

Grateful Dead ‘Live Dead’ - I’ve got loads of Dead live recordings but there’s still something special about this, one of THE definitive live albums and still my one-stop Dead shop if you were to put a gun to my head (please don’t);

Bob Weir ‘Ace’ - so much more than a rhythm guitarist’s solo album, this: in fact, I dig this more than most of the Dead’s collective studio efforts of the time. Sounds resplendent in its new remaster;

U2 ‘Rattle & Hum’ - one song only: the magnificent ‘Bullet The Blue Sky’, the likes if which they’ve never come close to again. A friend of mine is of the opinion that even the worst acts are entitled to make one decent song. U2 have made two: this and the 1981 live version of ‘An Cat Dubh’. Otherwise, naaah…;

Steven Wilson ‘The Harmony Codex’ - as is now customary for Wilson, this is a pretty unclassifiable record with only sporadic “prog” (parentheses intended) moments. Takes a few tracks to get going but has enough to keep me listening, if not yet intrigued. However, it’s early days and time has taught me to keep an open mind where this dude’s concerned;

Steve Winwood S/T - dug out because, like the last named, it contains a (different) song called ‘Time Is Running Out’, which I remember blagging as a 12” 45 when such things were in their infancy. If I consider that the best song here, that’s not to say that ‘Steve Winwood’ is a poor record: it’s still highly listenable in its laid back - very un-1977 - vibe;

Lew Lewis ‘Save The Wail’ - high quality rhythm & blues from Canvey Island’s troubled lost soul. RIP;

Lew Lewis ‘Boogie On The Street’/‘Caravan Man’ 45 - BUY 5 is my all-time favourite Stiff single, in spite of serious competition. It’s Sun-like reverb just knocks me sideways;

Buzzcocks ‘Spiral Scratch’ EP - and from that same era comes this raw wee four track salvo. Cheapo guitars + crappy studio = wonderment. Still keeps me pissing adrenalin 46 years on;

Widowmaker S/T - one of those decent straight rock records forgotten in the wake of punk. Shame. Anything with Steve Ellis on it is worth at least a hearing;

Bernie Maupin ‘The Jewel In The Lotus’ - one of the least swinging records on the ECM label, yet strangely addictive. In fact, quite as atypically ECM as I could reasonably imagine, unlike

Eberhard Weber ‘Chorus’ - much more the regular ECM deal: long autumnal pieces featuring Weber’s inimitably lyrical playing, hauntingly augmented by Jan Garbarek’s chilling reed work;

Eberhard Weber ‘Once Upon A Time’ - 1994 solo recital from Avignon that more than sustains interest, not least to the infinite variety of colours Weber draws from his five string bass;

Urs Leimgruber ‘1|->3|=2:1’ - four dense free improvisations with plenty of intermittent highs only appreciated by sitting through their entirety. A weirdly cathartic experience. As is:

Globe Unity Orchestra ‘Intergalactic Blow’ - Alex von Schlippenbach’s big band Globe Unity project has maintained its uncompromising, through-composed-improvisatory approach over six decades now. This is a document of how they sounded in 1982. Just don’t expect James Last;

Bach: 18 Chorales of Diverse Kinds, BWV 651 - 668 (Helmut Walcha) - the essence of Bach’s sublime organ music, played as well as it could be, as is:

Bach: Goldberg Variations (Vikingur Olafsson) - although I’m usually allergic to anything or anyone over-hyped, I have to concede that this dude IS good. That anyone can play this at all is impressive enough, but this is truly special, and stands proud alongside the best piano-based recordings of this timeless work;

Brahms: Violin Sonata no.2 (Josef Suk & Julius Katchen) - can’t fault this either;

Walton: Violin Sonata (Tasmin Little & Piers Lane) - quirky work, well performed;

Mozart: Violin Sonatas 25 & 32 (Friederike Starkloff & Jose Gallardo) - proof that Mozart doesn’t need big names to hit the pleasure points;

Bliss: Pastoral for clarinet & piano (Thea King & Clifford Benson) - Arthur Bliss was one of this country’s most original composers IMHO, and this short, beautifully performed gem is a fine example of his art;

Ligeti: String Quartet no.2 (LaSalle Quartet) - it’s amazing how relatively conventional this once out-there piece now sounds, though its fascination remains;

Mozart: Piano Concerto no.15, K 450 (Solomon/Philharmonia/Otto Ackermann) - stellar Mozart playing from the early LP era;

Beethoven: Symphony no.2 (Munich PO/Rudolf Kempe) - straight down the middle take on LVB’s unsung, transitional masterpiece, satisfying in all the right ways;

Sibelius: Tapiola (BPO/Hans Rosbaud) - Sibelius’ last completed orchestral work, here given possibly its most searing performance on record. The forest episode near the climax is terrifying. 1957 and mono, but doesn’t sound it.

Time is, indeed, running out.

Keep breathing

Dave x

Unsung Forum Index