1001realapes
2388 posts

Edited Oct 08, 2023, 04:22
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 October 2023 CE
Oct 08, 2023, 04:15
J.J. Cale - Naturally

Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast

Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast, Out-takes Compilation

Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast (Monster Edition discs 2 & 3)

Sparks - A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip

Paul & Linda McCartney - RAM (mono)

Gila - st aka "Free Electric Sound"

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites (instrumental)

Elton John - Caribou

The Irish Rovers - Hardstuff

Deuter - D

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 October 2023 CE
Oct 08, 2023, 09:15
This week’s suicide prevention plan:

Eels ‘The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett’ - one of E’s subtlest utterances, and one that rewards patient listening;

The Fall ‘Bingo Master’s Break Out’, ‘It’s The New Thing’ and ‘Rowche Rumble’ 45s - oh how I loved The Fall in their earliest days, a love that was to fade to mere respect in later years;

Grateful Dead ‘Live Dead’ - I’ve got loads of Dead live recordings but there’s still something special about this, one of THE definitive live albums and still my one-stop Dead shop if you were to put a gun to my head (please don’t);

Bob Weir ‘Ace’ - so much more than a rhythm guitarist’s solo album, this: in fact, I dig this more than most of the Dead’s collective studio efforts of the time. Sounds resplendent in its new remaster;

U2 ‘Rattle & Hum’ - one song only: the magnificent ‘Bullet The Blue Sky’, the likes if which they’ve never come close to again. A friend of mine is of the opinion that even the worst acts are entitled to make one decent song. U2 have made two: this and the 1981 live version of ‘An Cat Dubh’. Otherwise, naaah…;

Steven Wilson ‘The Harmony Codex’ - as is now customary for Wilson, this is a pretty unclassifiable record with only sporadic “prog” (parentheses intended) moments. Takes a few tracks to get going but has enough to keep me listening, if not yet intrigued. However, it’s early days and time has taught me to keep an open mind where this dude’s concerned;

Steve Winwood S/T - dug out because, like the last named, it contains a (different) song called ‘Time Is Running Out’, which I remember blagging as a 12” 45 when such things were in their infancy. If I consider that the best song here, that’s not to say that ‘Steve Winwood’ is a poor record: it’s still highly listenable in its laid back - very un-1977 - vibe;

Lew Lewis ‘Save The Wail’ - high quality rhythm & blues from Canvey Island’s troubled lost soul. RIP;

Lew Lewis ‘Boogie On The Street’/‘Caravan Man’ 45 - BUY 5 is my all-time favourite Stiff single, in spite of serious competition. It’s Sun-like reverb just knocks me sideways;

Buzzcocks ‘Spiral Scratch’ EP - and from that same era comes this raw wee four track salvo. Cheapo guitars + crappy studio = wonderment. Still keeps me pissing adrenalin 46 years on;

Widowmaker S/T - one of those decent straight rock records forgotten in the wake of punk. Shame. Anything with Steve Ellis on it is worth at least a hearing;

Bernie Maupin ‘The Jewel In The Lotus’ - one of the least swinging records on the ECM label, yet strangely addictive. In fact, quite as atypically ECM as I could reasonably imagine, unlike

Eberhard Weber ‘Chorus’ - much more the regular ECM deal: long autumnal pieces featuring Weber’s inimitably lyrical playing, hauntingly augmented by Jan Garbarek’s chilling reed work;

Eberhard Weber ‘Once Upon A Time’ - 1994 solo recital from Avignon that more than sustains interest, not least to the infinite variety of colours Weber draws from his five string bass;

Urs Leimgruber ‘1|->3|=2:1’ - four dense free improvisations with plenty of intermittent highs only appreciated by sitting through their entirety. A weirdly cathartic experience. As is:

Globe Unity Orchestra ‘Intergalactic Blow’ - Alex von Schlippenbach’s big band Globe Unity project has maintained its uncompromising, through-composed-improvisatory approach over six decades now. This is a document of how they sounded in 1982. Just don’t expect James Last;

Bach: 18 Chorales of Diverse Kinds, BWV 651 - 668 (Helmut Walcha) - the essence of Bach’s sublime organ music, played as well as it could be, as is:

Bach: Goldberg Variations (Vikingur Olafsson) - although I’m usually allergic to anything or anyone over-hyped, I have to concede that this dude IS good. That anyone can play this at all is impressive enough, but this is truly special, and stands proud alongside the best piano-based recordings of this timeless work;

Brahms: Violin Sonata no.2 (Josef Suk & Julius Katchen) - can’t fault this either;

Walton: Violin Sonata (Tasmin Little & Piers Lane) - quirky work, well performed;

Mozart: Violin Sonatas 25 & 32 (Friederike Starkloff & Jose Gallardo) - proof that Mozart doesn’t need big names to hit the pleasure points;

Bliss: Pastoral for clarinet & piano (Thea King & Clifford Benson) - Arthur Bliss was one of this country’s most original composers IMHO, and this short, beautifully performed gem is a fine example of his art;

Ligeti: String Quartet no.2 (LaSalle Quartet) - it’s amazing how relatively conventional this once out-there piece now sounds, though its fascination remains;

Mozart: Piano Concerto no.15, K 450 (Solomon/Philharmonia/Otto Ackermann) - stellar Mozart playing from the early LP era;

Beethoven: Symphony no.2 (Munich PO/Rudolf Kempe) - straight down the middle take on LVB’s unsung, transitional masterpiece, satisfying in all the right ways;

Sibelius: Tapiola (BPO/Hans Rosbaud) - Sibelius’ last completed orchestral work, here given possibly its most searing performance on record. The forest episode near the climax is terrifying. 1957 and mono, but doesn’t sound it.

Time is, indeed, running out.

Keep breathing

Dave x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2023, 11:45
Oct 08, 2023, 10:50
Sand- Golem
Guru Guru- UFO
Amn Duul II- Phallus Dei
Popol Vuh- Hosianna Mantra
Harmonia- Live 1974

Hawkwind- Space Ritual (50th Anniversary stereo mix)
Martin Rev- The Sum Of Our Wounds
David McWilliams- Reaching For The Sun: The Major Minor Anthology
V/A: St Albert's Dream vol 2: Lucid Electric Prophet

Iggy Pop- Avenue B
The 13th Floor Elevators- Going Up
Orange Juice- The Glasgow School

The Incredible String Band- 5000 Spirits or The Layers of the Onion
The Incredible String Band- The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter

Pete Molinari- Wondrous Afternoon
Pete Molinari- Just Like Achilles
Pete Molinari- A Virtual Landslide

Large Plants- The Thorn
Lucidvox- That's What Remained
Strangers In A Strange Land- S/T
Ghost Woman- Hindsight is 50/50
Myriam Gendron sings Dorothy Parker - Not So Deep As A Well
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Edited Oct 08, 2023, 11:14
Oct 08, 2023, 11:04
The Kinks – The Kink Kontroversy
Put it on and let it shine – essential mod album!
Question Mark And The Mysterians – 96 Tears
Some beautiful and very influential organ playing on this classic sixties album.

Peter Hammill – Fool's Mate
David Bowie – Hunky Dory
Oh, Peter Hammill is great. A true original. I've just liked him for years. If you listen to him, his solo albums, I'm damn sure Bowie copied a lot out of that geezer. The credit he deserves just has not been given to him. I love all his stuff. (John Lydon)

Suicide – Suicide
Some beautiful and very influential organ playing on this new york classic.

Lew Lewis And His Band – Boogie On The Street
Yeah Dave, it's a great forgotten record. Very much in that vein ...

Eddie & The Hot Rods – Live At The Marquee
The Lew Lewis Band – Out For A Lark
Wreckless Eric – Wreckless Eric
Mick Farren – Vampires Stole My Lunch Money
Various – Stiffs Live Stiffs
Mickey Jupp's Legend – Mickey Jupp's Legend
The Wilko Johnson And Lew Lewis Band – Bottle Up And Go!

Billy Nomates – Billy Nomates
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Oct 08, 2023, 14:44
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk (mono) / Mirror Man

The Beatles - With The Beatles / A Hard Day's Night

Big Star - #1 Record / Radio City

Blondie - Greatest Hits (2005)

David Bowie - Santa Monica '72 / All Saints

Alice Coltrane - Journey In Satchidananda / Illuminations (with Santana) / Transfiguration

Creation - Our Music Is Red - With Purple Flashes

Creation Room - There's A Creation Room In My House

Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'échafaud / Porgy & Bess / Kind Of Blue

Dead Can Dance - S/t / Garden Of The Arcane Delights / Wake

The Doors - First Demos 1965 / Celebration Of The Lizard (soniclovenoize) / An American Prayer

Monte Dunn & Karen Cruz - S/t

Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home / Highway 61 Revisited / Blonde On Blonde / The Bootleg Series Vol 12: The Best Of The Cutting Edge (1965-66)

Faust - S/t / So Far

Harmonia - Muzik Von ... / Deluxe

Billie Holiday - The Very Best Of ... (Verve 1999)

John Lennon - Wonsaponatime / Gimme Some Truth (2020)

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless / m.b.v.

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Psychedelic Furs - Should God Forget: A Retrospective

Sonic Youth - Confusion Is Sex / Bad Moon Rising

Synanthesia - S/t

The Keith Tippett Group - Dedicated To You But You Weren't Listening
Centipede - Septober Energy

Julie Tippetts - Sunset Glow

Trembling Bells - Carbeth / Abandoned Love

Vivaldi - Four Seasons (Orchestre Pro Arte De Munich)

Ryley Walker - Primrose Green / Golden Sings That Have Been Sung

Nancy Wallace - Old Stories

Kamasi Washington - The Epic / Heaven & Earth / The Choice

Robert Wyatt - Theatre Royal Drury Lane / Nothing Can Stop Us / Shleep
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Oct 08, 2023, 14:58
V/A - Ripples Vol.3: The Autumn Almanac

Elvis Presley - I'm 10,000 Years Old: Elvis Country
Elvis Presley - Love Letters From Elvis
Elvis Presley - Elvis Now
Elvis Presley - He Touched Me
Elvis Presley - As Recorded At Madison Square Garden
Elvis Presley - Burning Love
Elvis Presley - The Alternate Aloha
Elvis Presley - Elvis (The "Fool" Album)
Elvis Presley - Raised On Rock
Elvis Presley - Good Times

Yo La Tengo - Ride The Tiger
Yo La Tengo - New Wave Hot Dogs
Yo La Tengo - President Yo La Tengo
Yo La Tengo - Fakebook

Espers - Espers
Espers - The Weed Tree

The Kingsbury Manx - Aztec Discipline/Afternoon Owls
The Kingsbury Manx - The Fast Rise & Fall Of The South

The Walker Brothers - Take It Easy With...
The Walker Brothers - Portrait
The Walker Brothers - I Need You/Solo John, Solo Scott EPs
The Walker Brothers - Images

Fairfield Parlour - From Home To Home
Kaleidoscope - White-Faced Lady

Lambchop - Nixon
Lambchop - Live At The "Royal Albert Hall" (actually the Royal Festival Hall, and I should know as I was there)
Lambchop - Is A Woman

Ornette Coleman - Something Else!!!!
Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come
Ornette Coleman - Tomorrow Is The Question
Ornette Coleman - Change Of The Century

Brian Wilson - That Lucky Old Sun
Brian Wilson - Reimagines Gershwin
Brian Wilson - In The Key Of Disney

Michael Nesmith - From A Radio Engine To The Photon Wing
Michael Nesmith - Infinite Rider On The Big Dogma

Elton John - Regimental Sgt Zippo
Elton John - Rarities 1965-1971

The Turtles - Turtle Soup
The Turtles - Shell Shock
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Edited Oct 08, 2023, 18:58
Oct 08, 2023, 18:55
And, cut to the end.....

Hawkwind - Space Ritual 50th anniversary
Found a cheky DL to have a listen to (I don't feel overly guilty as I own SR 4 times alone, as well as all those BBC live and Sundowner editions etc...). Anyhoo, if you've heard it, you know what to expect. Sunderland show is different enough to warrant a listen. The rest just show how well rehearsed a unit they were at the time.

Frankie and the Witchfinges - Data Doom
More afro psych boogies to enjoy, kinda like a lighter GOAT.
https://frankieandthewitchfingers.bandcamp.com/album/data-doom

Tolouse Low Trax - Mask Talk
Love the minimal ethnotek rhythms of pretty much everything TLT puts out.
https://tolouselowtrax.bandcamp.com/album/tolouse-low-trax-mask-talk

Dead Skeletons - Dead Magic
2022 reissue of 2011 of vaguely Suicide/Spacemen 3 influenced
electronic psych loveliness.
https://deadskeletons.bandcamp.com/album/dead-magick

Broadcast - Tender Buttons/ Live Meredith Music Fest Aus, 2010

Vanishing Twin - Afternoon X
This album is like a succinct summation of the whole of Broadcasts 'sonic' career all on one tableau, well if Laetitia Sadier had fronted the band, love it. Bought this and latest Craven Faults on Bandcamp Friday, so been a good week fer tunes as far as i'm concerned.
https://v-twin.bandcamp.com/album/afternoon-x

Craven Faults - May Birching
One 74 min minimally changing piece of sonic chillness, was gonna punt fer the tape, but my computer decided to go on the blink at checkout, so just ended up with the DL. Still worth you time,money tho. Almost inspired me to fire up me cheapo uno synths/FX..... almost. Maybe next week?
https://cravenfaults.bandcamp.com/album/may-birching

Rrose - Hymn To Moisture
Been mainlining this all week. Very minimal techno and chilled atmospheres for the most part. Great if you have trouble sleeping like I do.
https://eaux.ro/album/hymn-to-moisture

Coil - Timemachines Live (a.k.a.Live One)
Think this was part of one of those Cope showcases in the 90's, bit different to the album 'proper', but still enjoyable.
https://archive.org/details/Coil-CoilPresentsTimeMachines

Keep on keepin' on!
Unsung Forum Index