keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 30 September 2023 CE
Oct 01, 2023, 20:51
Rhino's Wino's & Lunatics – Man
Past Present & Future – Al Stewart
Crime Of The Century - Supertramp
Snowflakes Are Dancing – Tomita
A few otherwise unrelated albums that I liked a lot at various points in my teens. I loved Man back then and this was one of my faves by them. Amongst the more uptempo numbers like the opening Takin The Easy Way Out Again (the single version was the first thing I heard by them) sits a lovely West Coast like number California Silks & Satins that drips in harmonies. That was the b-side of the aforementioned single so this was the second thing I heard by them so both of them come wioth noice memories attached.
There was actually a brief period when I was about 15 that Crime Of The Century was my all-time favourite LP. I took it into school one day and the music teacher played side one durng a lesson. “You've got a bloody cheek” he said after Bloody Well Right had played. It's obviously nowhere near my favourtite album now but there are some food moments all the same.
The Al Stewart LP is pretty much dominated by two long numbers, The Road To Moscow and Nostradamus, but sandwiched bewteen them is a rather good Beatles pastiche called Terminal Eyes.
When I was about 14 one of my best mates bporrowed a number of albumns from a relative – the Stones first, Sticky Fingers, Who's Next and this Tomita album. It's fair to say that it wasn't like anything else we'd heard before and we were rather fascinated by it. Some of it is rather beautiful and some of the sounds are actually quite amusing.

Also...
Isles – Bicep
Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle - Bill Callahan
Cheat Codes – Danger Mouse & Black Thought
En-tact – The Shamen
The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte - Sparks
Cool It Down – The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Unsung Forum Index