Ghost - Impera

Message - From Books and Dreams

Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Sparks - The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte

Dennis - Hyperthalamus

Tomorrow's Gift - Goodby Future

My Solid Ground - st

Between - Dharana

Sonny Boy Williamson (2) - The Essential (disc 2)

Here Come The Nice - The Immediate Anthology (disc 3 of 3)

The Stooges - Fun House

The Cosmic Jokers - st

Scorpions - Lonesome Crow

Scorpions - Fly to the Rainbow

Et Cetera - st

Respighi, San Francisco Symphony, Edo de Waart – Pini Di Roma - Gli Uccelli - Fontane Di Roma
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 30 September 2023 CE
Oct 01, 2023, 09:27
Total trash:

Rough Diamond S/T - David Byron’s post-Heep combo imploded before it could better this good, if somewhat routine, debut album - but by 1977 we all had rawer sounds to distract us, didn’t we?

The Beatles ‘Rubber Soul’ - maybe not their most profound utterance, but a contender for their most groovy, especially in its punchier mono mix;

Dire Straits S/T - not many old wave bands hit my senses in the wake of punk, but this one did. However bland they became, there’s no denying they started out well. This is so much more than the demonstration disc favoured by the snotty hifi shops of the day;

Eels ‘Extreme Witchcraft’ - Mark Everett has maintained his distinctively cynical muse through thin and thinner, and never more so than on this latest record. Feel the magic;

Sonic Youth ‘Daydream Nation’ - raw, atonal bliss; as grittily fresh as the day it was minted, and ever after;

Egg ‘The Civil Surface’ - the last, and most completely realised, of Egg’s three albums, posthumously recorded during Dave Stewart’s Hatfield sojourn and suitably enhanced by the lovely Northettes. The sheer essence of the Canterbury Scene, even if there’s not a Sinclair cousin around;

David Bowie ‘The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars’ - there is a handful of rock albums that can’t be improved upon. This is one;

Caravan ‘The Album’ - Caravan’s least prog, and poppiest LP, loved by too few. I proudly represent that silent minority;

Led Zeppelin ‘IV’ - because no album has a more awesome closing track than this one. Not one. Don’t argue, ‘cos I know I’m right;

Ramsey Lewis ‘Sun Goddess’ - jazz-funk from 1974 and man, does it sound it. So what;

Keith Jarrett ‘Concerts’ (Bregenz) - it’s more than tragic that strokes have disabled the pianistic and improvisatory talents of Jarrett, but what a legacy remains. This 1981 concert is just one example: a veritable universe of melody, inspiration and chaos from one man and his piano caught on the spur of the moment;

Jokleba ‘Outland’ - acoustic and electronic sounds blend and compete in imperfect disharmony, yet the whole melee maintains attention and interest, for me anyway. Stream ‘Bell Jar’ as a taster;

Elgar: Violin Sonata (Efi Christodoulu & Margaret Fingerhut) - perhaps the finest of Elgar’s late triumvirate of chamber works, idiomatically rendered here;

Haydn: String Quartet Op.20 no.1 (Doric Quartet) - played for all it’s worth by the Dorics, with suitable innigkeit in the sublime slow movement;

Bach: Concerto in A minor for flute, violin, harpsichord & strings, BWV 1044 (Fest Strings Lucerne/Rudolf Baumgartner) - unashamedly old fashioned approach to Bach, and all the better for it;

Mozart: Symphony no.40 (LSO/Claudio Abbado) - the record that introduced me to this work forty years ago still sounds good, even if some later versions are more revealing;

Beethoven: Piano Concerto no.5 ‘Emperor’ (Artur Pizarro/Scottish CO/Sir Charles Mackerras) - decent performance, though the slow movement here is more of an Allegretto than the marked Adagio;

Karg-Elert: Organ works including Homage To Handel (Conrad Eden, Jane Watts, Graham Barber) - I’m intrigued by this curious music, which veers seamlessly between the quiet and the epic, the lyrical and strange, without any obvious precedent. I must hear more;

Janacek: Taras Bulba & Glagolitic Mass (Soloists/Czech PO/Sir Charles Mackerras) - and these are pretty distinctive too, as were most of Janacek’s works. These performances are as good as they get: superbly sung, conducted and recorded.

I’m not up for this.

Love and kisses

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Oct 01, 2023, 11:49
Elvis Presley - From Elvis In Memphis
Elvis Presley - From Memphis To Vegas...From Vegas To Memphis
Elvis Presley - On Stage
Elvis Presley - That's The Way It Is

Can - The Singles (I do like complete 45s collections like this, even if the mighty Can seemed to become something of a novelty act with the frivolous singles they were putting out by the end)

The Doors - The Singles (ditto, although in this case it's the rather stolid vocals of the other band members being a poor replacement for Morrison's rich baritone, although I've always been fond of the eccentric single edit of 'The Mosquito')

Stereolab - Switched On
Stereolab - Refried Ectoplasm (Switched On Vol.2)

Vaughan Williams - Thomas Tallis/Greensleeves/The Wasps (NSOL/Collins, LPO/Boult)

The Kinks - Sleepwalker
The Kinks - Misfits

Forest - Full Circle

The Kingsbury Manx - The Kingsbury Manx
The Kingsbury Manx - Let You Down

Kaleidoscope - Tangerine Dream
Kaleidoscope - Faintly Blowing

The Turtles - Golden Hits
The Turtles - Chalon Road
The Turtles - Battle Of The Bands

Eleanor Friedberger - Last Summer
Eleanor Friedberger - Personal Record
Eleanor Friedberger - New View
Eleanor Friedberger - Rebound

Edith Frost - Calling Over Time
Edith Frost - Telescopic
Edith Frost - Wonder Wonder
Edith Frost - It's A Game (a very unsung singer, self-described purveyor of 'pensive countrified psychedelia,' songs of heartbreak sung in a lovely laid-back Texan lilt with musical assistance from Gastr Del Sol, Royal Trux and others. These four albums all have their strengths, although Wonder Wonder is the winner.

V/A - Gather In The Mushrooms

Katy J Pearson & Friends - Songs From The Wicker Man (bonus CD in the new Blu Ray boxset. Generally good versions, with a few slightly off moments).

Queen - The Game
Queen - Flash Gordon
Queen - Hot Space
Queen - The Works
Queen - A Kind Of Magic
Queen - The Miracle
Queen - Innuendo

Juana Molina - Segundo

Brian Wilson - Imagination
Brian Wilson - Gettin' In Over My Head
Brian Wilson - Presents SMiLE

Pet Shop Boys - Elysium

Michael Nesmith & The Second National Band - Tantamount To Treason, Vol.1
Michael Nesmith - And The Hits Just Keep On Comin'
Michael Nesmith - Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash
Michael Nesmith - The Prison

The Black Swan Triad - Metamorphosis
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Oct 01, 2023, 12:16
Andwellas Dream - Love & Poetry

Adam & The Ants - Dirk Wears White Sox

Broadcast - Berberian Sound Studio OST / Work & Non Work / The Future Crayon
V/A - Trish Keenan's Mind Bending Motorway Mix

William S Burroughs - Nothing Here Now But The Recordings / Dead City Radio

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Strictly Personal / Trout Mask Replica

John Coltrane - First Meditations (For Quartet) / Meditations / Living Space

Julian Cope - John Balance Enters Valhalla / England Expectorates / Robin Hood
Dope - Black Math (feat. Fuck Authority) / Semi-Legal On The Edge Of Culture

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left / Bryter Layter / Pink Moon

The Focus Group - Sketches & Spells / Hey! Let Loose Your Love / We Are All Pan's People

The Future Sound Of London/ Amorphous Androgynous - Dead Cities / Alice In Ultraland / Teachings From The Electronic Brain

Astrud Gilberto - Jazz Masters 9

Gong - 25th Birthday Party / 2035 / I See You

The Glove - Blue Sunshine

Jon Hassell - Vernal Equinox / Dream Theory In Malaya: Fourth World Vol. 2

Mogwai - Rock Action / Government Commissions

Frank Sinatra - Portrait Of Sinatra

Sonic Youth - Evol / Sister / Daydream Nation

Swans - Filth / Children Of God

Trees - The Garden Of Jane Delawney / On The Shore (DE 2cd)

McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy / Extensions

Ultravox! - The Island Years
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 01, 2023, 15:19
Algiers - Shook

Pale Blue Eyes - This House

Mandy, Indiana - I've Seen a Way

Baxter Dury - I Thought I Was Better Than You

John Martyn - May You Never (The Essential John Martyn) Discs 1 & 2
(Not a fan of disc 3 so far but maybe it'll grow on me).

The Fall - Your Future Our Clutter
(One of their better late-period albums, although vastly outnumbered in that respect by lazy/mediocre ones)

V/A - Someone Left The Cake out in the Rain (The Songs of Jimmy Webb)

Doug McKechnie - San Francisco Moog 1968-1972 Vol. 2
(Discovered this guy via some previously unseen/unheard footage of the Altamont Festival where he apparently played early on in the morning before any of the rock acts. Very proto-kosmische.)

Dungen - En Ar For Mycket och Tusen Aldrig Nog
(Only heard these guys for the first time at End of the Road last month, but their set was sufficiently engaging for me to buy this most recent of their albums. An AMG search reveals that they have a long and illustrious back catalogue which encompasses much genre-diversity, so perhaps they'll be my next musical obsession).
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Oct 01, 2023, 19:02
David Thomas - Why I Hate Women
Broadcast - Noise Made by People, Tender Buttons, home made comp
Cavern of Anti Matter - Void Beats, In Fabric OST
Vangelis - Blade Runner OST
Coil - Time machines/ Time machines Live, Astral Disaster, Live Gdansk
Ultramarine - Send and Return
Alien Sex Fiend - Whose Been Sleeping In My Brain
The Kinks - The Journey Pt.1
Nik Turner - Space Ritual Live
Can - Future Days
Tones on Tail - Everything

Melvins - Throbbing Jazz Gristle Funk Hits
As you might expect, this is a bunch of TG covers by Melvins (feat Void Manes). Mate punted me a CD rip, as I couldn't afford the rather expensive vinyl/CD/flexi bundle, plus a lot of US labels/shops wont ship to UK cos of VAT registration etc... Christ U.S. AmRep CD is only $5, but see previous.
So far Discipline 23 is my fav.
isten here.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfS8HiK3gcs
ZB Zombie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6myyBnndRss

Various

Waves of Distortion (Best of Shoegaxe 1990-2022)
keith a
9573 posts

Oct 01, 2023, 20:51
Rhino's Wino's & Lunatics – Man
Past Present & Future – Al Stewart
Crime Of The Century - Supertramp
Snowflakes Are Dancing – Tomita
A few otherwise unrelated albums that I liked a lot at various points in my teens. I loved Man back then and this was one of my faves by them. Amongst the more uptempo numbers like the opening Takin The Easy Way Out Again (the single version was the first thing I heard by them) sits a lovely West Coast like number California Silks & Satins that drips in harmonies. That was the b-side of the aforementioned single so this was the second thing I heard by them so both of them come wioth noice memories attached.
There was actually a brief period when I was about 15 that Crime Of The Century was my all-time favourite LP. I took it into school one day and the music teacher played side one durng a lesson. “You've got a bloody cheek” he said after Bloody Well Right had played. It's obviously nowhere near my favourtite album now but there are some food moments all the same.
The Al Stewart LP is pretty much dominated by two long numbers, The Road To Moscow and Nostradamus, but sandwiched bewteen them is a rather good Beatles pastiche called Terminal Eyes.
When I was about 14 one of my best mates bporrowed a number of albumns from a relative – the Stones first, Sticky Fingers, Who's Next and this Tomita album. It's fair to say that it wasn't like anything else we'd heard before and we were rather fascinated by it. Some of it is rather beautiful and some of the sounds are actually quite amusing.

Also...
Isles – Bicep
Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle - Bill Callahan
Cheat Codes – Danger Mouse & Black Thought
En-tact – The Shamen
The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte - Sparks
Cool It Down – The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Oct 02, 2023, 02:32
Oct 02, 2023, 00:45
Hello fellow culture junkies.

Manfred Mann Chapter Three: s/t. I am obsessed with this album. Brass driven prog rock, influenced as much by film scores as jazz, and shot through with the pop sensibilities you'd expect from Manfred and Mike Hugg. Mike Hugg provides compelling vocals, rasped rather than sang and have a surprisingly unsettling effect. The film score composed feeling to the songs is ever present. These ain't jams. It conjures up a New Orleans set gritty thriller to these ears. I think they enjoyed Gris Gris by Doctor John quite a bit before this album, but to be honest I think this album delivers more. 1969. I think it has aged remarkably well. It may sound better now than it did at the time.
https://youtu.be/rZ2CDjXREIc?si=OtvLNVADfTrapJeb

Spirit: the first four albums. Now this is a sustained four album education in tight composition! They are like the Anti Genesis (who frankly couldn't write a tight composition at gunpoint). How did they (Spirit) seamlessly cram so many ideas into songs ordinarily under four minutes. Bursting with ideas. So restless.
https://youtu.be/17YuScyo9v4?si=xMJG8rXTP5sv4yJW

Tom Waits: Swordfish Trombones. Another soundtrack to an unmade sweaty crime thriller. I've only recently reach an accommodation with Tom Waits. I just didn't get it for years. I think he is primarily an actor. The American Anthony Newley.
https://youtu.be/jPOaicwzq4A?si=GKYeGbrbg2x9LgHA

Hawkwind: Space Ritual, Sunderland Locarno CD's from the new box set. Is it worth the £100? Not really. It should be released on its own - as it wasn't used on the album. It's more ferocious than the shows they used for the album. Worth finding and hearing.

The rest of the time listening to old Mojo cover CD's. The Trojan Explosion one (a rare black not silver CD) and The Score ones are fantastic, I'm also fond of the Heavy Mod and the New York Eighties CD'S. The Heavy Nuggets series is worth a listen as well.

Hope you are all well.
Unsung Forum Index