Emtidi - Saat
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Sep 24, 2023, 08:53
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 September 2023 CE
Sep 24, 2023, 08:48
I’m sick of love…

Pretenders ‘Relentless’ - early exposure to this reveals a strong set of songs enlivened by some particularly gritty guitar playing. Reminded me to dig out:

Pretenders S/T - it’s remarkable how fresh this 44 year old debut still sounds. Bloody hell, I was in sixth form when I bought this, and I’m well retired now;

Ian Hunter ‘All American Alien Boy’ - the original Englishman in New York, rocking with a great jazz bass player and some soulful chick backing singers;

Japan ‘Adolescent Sex’ - which isn’t that bad an album if you can forget the sublimities of Japan’s later work. I like its poppy funkiness for its own sake, and can’t help but think that Duran Duran filched its vibe to much more lucrative ends three years later;

Bob Dylan ‘Time Out Of Mind’ (2022 remix) - a rare instance of a modern remix actually improving on the original, though either version of what remains Dylan’s last truly great record is alright with me;

Wigwam ‘Nuclear Nightclub’ - which sounds like a cool Finnish take on Steely Dan, enlivened by Hull’s own Jim Pembroke’s Fagenesque vocals. But it’s Pekka Rechardt’s awesome instrumental ‘Pig Storm’ that steals the show for me;

Rick Danko S/T - long forgotten solo album by The Band’s former bass player, which satisfies this listener more than most of their 70s output;

Marshall Tucker Band ‘Tuckerized’ - the poppier side of these good ol’ boys: not their best era but Doug Gray’s chops make it worthy of a spin;

Joy Division ‘An Ideal For Living’ EP - prior to Martin Hannett’s inspired tinkering, Joy Division already demonstrated their distinctive songwriting edge, enlivened by their Manc punk influences. A primitive and wonderful twelve minutes;

Kiss ‘Ikons’ (Peter Criss disc) - y’know, I reckon Peter Criss was the best singer Kiss ever had. There’s something about his stressed, guttural larynx that suited their dumb rock vibe just right. I mean, ‘Hooligan’: who could’ve delivered that better?

OM ‘It’s About Time’ - long awaited 2020 comeback album from Switzerland’s (much further out) answer to Weather Report. Not an easy listen, but mighty rewarding with repeated plays. Christy Doran really freaks out on ‘Perpetual-Motion Food’. Fredy Studer RIP;

Elton Dean ‘Just Us’ - the original Elton’s first solo outing is unsurprisingly akin to Soft Machine, given guest appearances by several of his bandmates here. But there’s a more echt jazz feel, with Marc Charig’s brass adding a distinctly Miles-like feel to the proceedings;

John Coltrane ‘Kulu Se Mama’ - especially the awesome battle between drums and tenor sax that is ‘Vigil’. Wow;

Gary Peacock ‘Tales Of Another’ - the first ECM LP I ever bought, and still one of my favourites: six dreamy, subtly swinging, minor keyed vignettes (including one so-named) with Keith Jarrett in great form in one of his last sideman roles. This was the first appearance of what became Jarrett’s Standards Trio, but here they’re entirely devoted to Peacock’s inspired compositions. Truly unsung, even by ECM standards: stream ‘Major Major’ to hear what I mean;

Debussy: Violin Sonata (Efi Christodoulu & Margaret Fingerhut) - Debussy’s last work displays an uncharacteristically playful character, beautifully captured in this reading;

Mehul: Symphony no.1 (Akademie fur Alte Musik Berlin/Bernard Forck) - a kind of Beethoven’s Fifth a few years before its time, though not quite at that level of inspiration. Good though;

Beethoven: Symphony no.8 (Swiss Fest Orch/Herbert von Karajan) - newly issued 1952 live recording, in excellent sound, of Beethoven’s “little one”. This has an edge over Karajan’s studio recordings, being more incisive and unafraid to take liberties with tempi, the trio of the third movement for example;

Mozart: Symphonies 40 & 41 ‘Jupiter’ (ASMF/Sir Neville Marriner) - Marriner’s lean meat approach to Mozart is taken for granted in these more historically informed times, but these are recordings to return to again and again;

Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (LAPO/Carlo Maria Giulini) - being of the opinion that Beethoven’s Fifth is the most sublime of all musical creations, I’m often asked which is my favourite recording. After amassing over two hundred of the mothers (yeah, really) I’ve got to go for this one, released by DG in 1982. It has all the power, emotion and monumentality the work demands, all repeats intact, and a great recorded sound. Learned critics rave about Carlos Kleiber’s 1974 account - also for DG - but it hasn’t got the impact of Giulini for me. But what do I know?

… I’m so sick of it.

Have a great week, all

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Sep 24, 2023, 09:20
Elvis Presley - You'll Never Walk Alone
Elvis Presley - Sings Flaming Star
Elvis Presley - Let's Be Friends
Elvis Presley - Almost In Love
Elvis Presley - The Comeback Special
Elvis Presley - Clambake/Stay Away Joe
Elvis Presley - Live A Little, Love A Little/Charro!/The Trouble With Girls/A Change Of Habit

The Doors - The Soft Parade

The Small Faces - The Darlings Of Wapping Wharf Launderette

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request
The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
The Rolling Stones - Singles 1963-1969

Forest - Forest

Richard Swift - The Novelist/Walking Without Effort

Queen - A Night At The Opera
Queen - A Day At The Races
Queen - Jazz
Queen - News Of The World

The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies
The Kinks - Everybody's In Showbiz
The Kinks - Soap Opera
The Kinks - Schoolboys In Disgrace

The Fiery Furnaces - I'm Going Away
The Fiery Furnaces - Take Me Round Again
Matthew Friedberger - Winter Women/Holy Ghost Language School

Brian Wilson - Brian Wilson
Brian Wilson - Sweet Insanity
Brian Wilson - Slightly American Music
Brian Wilson - I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Brian Wilson & Van Dyke Parks - Orange Crate Art

Linda Ronstadt - Hand Sown - Home Grown
Linda Ronstadt - Silk Purse
Linda Ronstadt - Linda Ronstadt
Linda Ronstadt - Don't Cry Now
Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like A Wheel

Michael Nesmith - The Wichita Train Whistle Sings
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Magnetic South
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Loose Salute
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Nevada Fighter

The Turtles - It Ain't Me Babe
The Turtles - You Babe-Let Me Be
The Turtles - Wooden Head
The Turtles - Happy Together

The Traveling Wilburys - Volume 1
The Traveling Wilburys - Volume 2 (soniclovenoize recreation)
The Traveling Wilburys - Volume 3

Lambchop - Thriller
Lambchop - What Another Man Spills
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Sep 24, 2023, 12:23
LPs:
Diesel Park West- Shakespeare Alabama
The Smiths- Hatful of Hollow
Cud- When In Rome, Kill Me
The Mighty Lemon Drops- Happy Head
The House of Love- S/T
My Bloody Valentine- Isn't Anything
The Senseless Things- Postcard CV
That Petrol Emotion- Babble
Pop Will Eat Itself- This Is The Day, This Is The Hour, This is This
The Cocteau Twins- Blue Bell Knoll
The Wedding Present- George Best
Depeche Mode- Music For The Masses

CDs:
The Doors- Box Set
Jefferson Airplane- Loves You
The Velvet Underground- Peel Slowly & See

Streaming:
Seadog- internal Noise
Arabrot- Darkness & Light
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Sep 24, 2023, 12:52
Alaura - Sacred Dreams

David Allen - Good Morning / N'Existepas! / Stop/Don't (with Ex-) / Obscura no.6: Live @ The Knit, NYC (with Nicoletta Stephanz)

The Clash - S/t / Give 'Em Enough Rope

Coil - Love's Secret Domain / Moon's Milk

Josephine Foster - Little Life / SOS JFK (with The Children's Hour) / All The Leaves Are Gone (with the Supposed) / Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You

George Harrison - Wonderwall Music

Jon Hassell & Brian Eno - Fourth World Vol. 1: Possible Musics

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love / Electric Ladyland

Hintermass - The Apple Tree

Bert Jansch - Bert & John (with John Renbourn) / Jack Orion

Marillion - Real To Reel / Misplaced Childhood

Mogwai - Come On Die Young / Rock Action

NEU! - S/t / 2 / '75

Nico - Chelsea Girl / The End

Psychic TV - Towards The Infinite Beat / Beyond The Infinite Beat / Kondole / Peak Hour / Direction Ov Travel / Al-Or-Al

Judee Sill - S/t / Heart Food

Nina Simone - Jazz Masters 17

Sonic Youth - Goo / Dirty / Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star

June Tabor - Abyssinians / The Definitive Collection

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra / Rubycon
Edgar Froese - Aqua

Traffic - Mr Fantasy / S/t / John Barleycorn Must Die

XTC - English Settlement / Mummer / The Big Express / Fossil Fuel / Homo Safaris Series
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Sep 24, 2023, 14:06
...Same as last week on the whole....

Teardrops/Cope - Piano/ Peel sessions Plus/ Zoology/WSYM/Fried/...Everybody wants to Shag....
Have found myself enjoying 'Shag' more than I used to.

Bauhaus - Burning From The Inside

Love and Rockets - Hot Trip to Heaven/ Lift
More dancey outings which feel kinda generic beatwise, but which are not terrible on the whole.

Grails - Burning Off Impurities

Hawkwind - Epoch/Eclips 3CD best of 30 years
If you don't own any Hawkwind and wanted to dip yer toe, you could do worse than this 3 disc comp, which covers much of the crucial 70's period and a little beyond.

Jah Wobble - Brief History of Now.
Decent effort I'm enjoying V much. Prob more accessable pop/rock Wobble than other stuff of late. Suitably noisey cover of I am the Fly.
https://cleopatrarecords.bandcamp.com/album/a-brief-history-of-now

Was watching that Hidden Wales programme on BBC 4 the other day, and it has a top soundtrack, though further xploration of some of the artists was a little disapponting. There's one guy's tunes that are the spit of Craven Faults, though have forgotten his name. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bsrhh2/hidden-wales-with-will-millard-series-1-episode-1

Keep well!
keith a
9573 posts

Sep 24, 2023, 22:29
Blackbox Life Recorder EP – Aphex Twin

Shortwave Memories - Biosphere

Feminine Divine – Dexys

Wait Til I get Over – Durand Jones

Phantom Power – Super Furry Animals

Spirit Of Eden – Talk Talk
S/T – Mark Hollis