Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 September 2023 CE

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2023, 10:02
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 September 2023 CE
Sep 03, 2023, 04:07
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - It Comes to You in a Plain Brown Wrapper (soniclovenoize reconstruction)

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - BBC Sessions 1968

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Lick My Decals Off, Baby

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - The Spotlight Kid

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Clear Spot

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Harpos Detroit December 11th 1980

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Ice Cream For Crow

Howlin' Wolf - Smokestack Lightning The Complete Chess Masters 1951-1960
(disc 1 of 4)

Sparks - The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo

Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka

Frank Zappa - Sleep Dirt

Frank Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation

Creedence Clearwater Revival - st

Conrad Schnitzler - Blue Glow
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2613 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 September 2023 CE
Sep 03, 2023, 09:18
Take a little trip back with Father Tiresias:

Black Sabbath ‘Paranoid’ (except the title track to which my separate post refers) - some records infect you from youth and their effects never fade. This is one of mine;

Lush ‘Sweetness and Light’ EP - memories of happier, carefree times abound with this wee 45 RPM diamond;

The Smiths ‘Louder Than Bombs’ - what seem like something of a mish-mash of mostly non-album tracks for the US market turned out to be my favourite Smiths CD, even more than any of their four “proper” albums;

The Pointer Sisters ‘That’s A Plenty’ - sophomore album that’s good in its swampy moments, but gets a little too Andrews Sistersish for my liking on its predominantly swing-like tracks;

Magazine ‘Secondhand Daylight’ - a much finer second effort, this: in fact, it’s Magazine’s finest as far as I’m concerned, and one of my all-time favourite albums. There are some records that are as defined by their production as their songs, and this eerie, murky sounding epic is one of them. Colin Thurston and John McGeogh RIP;

Genesis ‘Selling England By The Pound’ - and this is my favourite Genesis platter for similar reasons but my, what songs. This was their creative prog apex before disappearing into woolly ruminant pretentiousness. (They’d enjoy a three album renaissance before becoming a bad pop group);

Streetwalkers ‘Downtown Flyers’ - one of those mid-70s records that gives the lie to the “stale pre-punk” cliche;

Madonna S/T - one of my many guilty pleasures is Madge’s debut album which, for all its cheesy eightiesness, just hits my pleasure button like none of her other albums;

Van Morrison ‘Beyond Words: Instrumental’ - on the face of it, this should be a non-event. I wasn’t expecting much, but this is really rather good: tasty, mostly upbeat music that reminding me how astute the grouchy one has been in his choice of backing musicians over the years. Good stuff to walk to;

Slowdive ‘Everything Is Alive’ - first impressions of this newbie are very strong: kind of MBV meets Cocteau Twins with just a soupçon of Joy Division’s keyboardy moments added to the stew. Lovely, even if it does sound as if it could have been made thirty years ago;

Brinsley Schwarz ‘Despite It All’ - exhibiting that Nick Lowe’s songwriting chops were more than fully formed over fifty years ago, albeit more than a little touched by Van Morrison’s style of the time (no crime there). I’d pay good money to see the Brinsleys at a reformation gig or two. How about it, lads?

Van der Graaf Generator ‘Theme One’/‘W’ 45 - well, a CD of it anyway. Terrific, standalone single from the ‘Pawn Hearts’ era, the A side being well familiar to early Radio 1 stalwarts like me, the B being a hidden Hammill gem;

The Dave Brubeck Quartet ‘Brubeck Time’ - unalloyed pleasure is all. I want Bru and Des played at my funeral;

Paul Desmond ‘The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings’ - long after the classic lineup of The Dave Brubeck Quartet disbanded, Paul Desmond put together a new alto & guitar centred quartet for two series of Bourbon Street club dates. This awesome Mosaic box collates the lot and believe me dudes, there’s not a dull moment across them. It includes a disc preserving a date with trombonist Rob McConnell that hasn’t been released before. It’s ace - but I have to admit a bias towards anything on which Desmond played. I just adore his unique, smoky sound;

Waylon Jennings ‘Ladies Love Outlaws’ - Waylon couldn’t make a bad record during his 60s and 70s heyday as far as I’m concerned: every album a short and sweet collection of songs that he made his own, whether he wrote them or not. This is as good an example as any. Check out his take on Bobby Braddock’s ‘Revelation’: you don’t need to be a God botherer to be moved by it;

Haydn: String Quartet Op.76 no.4 ‘Sunrise’ (Chiaroscuro Quartet) - this exhibits a micro-managed approach to Haydn which might have killed his spirit and invention. Not here, for this is fabulously entertaining. There are some excellent young quartets doing the rounds at the moment and the Chiaroscuros are up there with the best;

Brahms: String Sextets 1 & 2 (augmented Lindsay Quartet) - yearningly beautiful works by a young and clean shaven Brahms perfecting his art. This cheap Alto CD is just one of many highlights of the Lindsays’ rich recorded legacy;

Bax: Four Orchestral Pieces (BBC PO/Andrew Davis) - Bax at his most approachable: English music that’s hard to dislike, especially in a performance as idiomatic as this;

Berwald: Symphony no.4 ‘Sinfonie Naive’ (San Francisco SO/Herbert Blomstedt) - unashamedly romantic take on an underrated symphony;

Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - another underrated symphony :-) given the full heft of Herbie’s big band in 1976. There are subtler recordings available, but few this powerful;

Beethoven: String Quartet in C, Op.59 no.3 ‘Rasumovsky’
(Talich Quartet) - mid-period Beethoven at his best, played with taste and verve;

Beethoven: Piano Sonata no.12 in A flat, Op.26 (Louis Lortie) - Lortie is refreshingly direct in his approach to Beethoven, meaning less of the mannerisms favoured by many more illustrious interpreters;

I just get numb when you are hard to find.

Felicitations all

Dave x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Sep 03, 2023, 09:57
Abstract Concrete- S/T
Melt Plastic Group- Hooh
Chris Brain- Steady Away
The Horrors- V
Flicks- Go For The Effect
Tommy James & The Shondells- Cellophane Symphony
Donovan- A Gift From A Flower To A Garden
Traffic- Last Exit
The Doors- The Soft Parade
Jeff Wayne etc - War Of The Worlds
The Rubettes- Singles 1974-1977
Transvision Vamp- Pop Art
Goat- World Music
Goat- Gallows Pole OST
Goat- Oh Death
Goat- Medicine
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Sep 03, 2023, 09:59
Alternative TV - What You See ... Is What You Are / Vibing Up The Senile Man

The Beach Boys - Today / Pet Sounds / SMiLE (Hitville Mix - soniclovenoize & Purple Chick deluxe)

David Bowie - Outside In Budapest / Toy (boot) / Reality / The Next Day / Blackstar

Tim Buckley - Blue Afternoon / Lorca / Starsailor / Top Gear 1968 & OGWT 1974

Can - Soon Over Babaluma / Unlimited Edition / The Can Tapes

Alice Coltrane - Live At Carnegie Hall 1971 (Africa) / Universal Consciousness / Lord Of Lords / Elements (with Joe Henderson) / Eternity

John Coltrane - Kula Se Mama / Live At The Village Vanguard Again! / One Down, One Up: Live at the Half Note / Offering: Live at Temple University / Jupiter Variations (The Mastery Of JC Vol 3)

The Future Sound Of London/ Amorphous Androgynous - Lifeforms / Tales Of Ephidrina / ISDN / The Isness

PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea / Uh Huh Her

Robyn Hitchcock - Fegmania (with the Egyptians) / S/t

I Monster - Neveroddoreven

Improved Sound Limited - Engelchen Macht Weiter Hoppe Hoppe Reiter

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - The Case Of The 3 Sided Dream In Audio Color / Other People's Music

Kraftwerk - Tone Float (Organisation) / S/t / 2 / Rolf & Florian

Perry Leopold - Experiment In Metaphysics

The Loft - Once Round The Fair

The Rezillos - Can't Stand The Rezillos / Mission Accomplished ... But The Beat Goes On

The Ruts - The Crack / The Peel Sessions Album

Patti Smith - Gone Again / Peace & Noise

Gilli Smyth - Mother / The Owl & The Tree (Mother Gong)

Strawbs - Dragonfly

Stump - Peel Session / Quirk Out / A Fierce Pancake

Jane Weaver - Flock (deluxe)
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2023, 16:36
Sep 03, 2023, 15:22
Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle
Van Dyke Parks - Discover America
Van Dyke Parks - Clang Of The Yankee Reaper

Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin' Simon
Paul Simon - Live Rhymin'

Elvis Presley - Elvis Is Back!
Elvis Presley - Something For Everybody
Elvis Presley - G.I. Blues
Elvis Presley - Flaming Star/Wild In The Country/Follow That Dream
Elvis Presley - Blue Hawaii
Elvis Presley - Pot Luck
Elvis Presley - Gold Records Vol.3

Mutantes - Os Mutantes
Mutantes - Mutantes
Mutantes - A Divina Comédia ou Ando Meio Desligado

The Bees - Sunshine Hit Me
The Bees - Free The Bees

The Coral - Roots & Echoes

Bobbie Gentry - Windows Of The World
Bobbie Gentry - Touch 'Em With Love
Bobbie Gentry - Fancy
Bobbie Gentry - Patchwork
Bobbie Gentry - Thunder In The Afternoon

Sagittarius - Present Tense
Sagittarius - The Blue Marble

The Millennium - Begin
The Millennium - Pieces

Milton Nascimento - Milton Nascimento
Milton Nascimento & Lô Borges - Clube Da Esquina

of Arrowe Hill - The Springheel Penny Dreadful & Other Tales Of Morbid Curiosity

Lilys - Lilys
Lilys - Everything Wrong Is Imaginary

Mike Oldfield - Incantations
Mike Oldfield - Platinum

Simian - Watch It Glow
Simian - The Wisp EP
Simian - One Dimension EP
Simian - Mr Crow EP (a band who put all their best tracks on b-sides)

Pet Shop Boys - Bilingual & b-sides (ditto to some extent)

The Beach Boys - Live In London

Bach - The Great Organ Works (Wolfgang Rübsam)

Kodaly - Galánta Dances/Marosszék Dances/"Peacock" Variations (Czecho-Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra/Adrian Leaper)

Beethoven - Piano Concerto Nos.1-3 (Stefan Vladar)

Elgar - The Dream Of Gerontius (Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra/David Hill)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2023, 19:03
Sep 03, 2023, 19:01
White Canyon and the 5th Dimension - Gardeners of the Earth
Much to like here if you're a Black Angels fan, similar guitar sounds and vibes. Nice cover too.
https://whitecanyon5thdimension.bandcamp.com/album/gardeners-of-the-earth

Nurse With Wound - Space Music 2/The Devil's Interval/Opium Cabaret
I do enjoy NWW, but much of this later stuff is all a bit samey tbh.

The Orb - Abolition of the Royal Familiar (Gillotine Mixes)

Holger Czukay - Radio Waves

Jah Wobble, Holger Czuckay, Jaki Liebezeit - Full Circle
This has clicked massively with me over th last few years, Prob my Fav Post Can album now. Seth Mans review from yesteryear captures this pretty well...
https://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/97/

Hawksmoor - Telepathic Heights
If you enjoyed those Deutsche Electronische Musik Comps, you may enjoy this, though it's a single artist (Cover's very DEM).
https://soundsoftheuniverse.com/sjr/product/telepathic-heights

Jan Van Droogenbroeck - Far View
I had no idea this guy was in Brainticket until I bothered to look online the other day. Enjoyable comp of Mort Garson-esque electronic twiddlery.
https://joelvandroogenbroeck.bandcamp.com/album/far-view

Death and Vanilla - Flicker/ Reimagined by Civilistj?ä?vel! EP
Still ploughing that mid period Broadcast vibe. Still enjoy them tho.
https://deathandvanillamusic.bandcamp.com/album/flicker
https://deathandvanillamusic.bandcamp.com/album/death-and-vanilla

Rrose - Please Touch
Imagine an updated Plastikman 'Music', with a more ambient tilt and you've Rrose' latest output. Didn't think much of this at first, but gotta say, this is floating my boat massively at the mo, esp. if I wake up and can't get back to sleep (and that's not a put down!) https://eaux.ro/album/please-touch

Mekons - John Peel 1978-79
Old bootleg tape of those crucial early Peel sessions. Up on youtube to.
78' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-efJTUdYFc
79' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9zbbBMxTI

Thighpaulsandra - I Thighpaulsandra
Never an easy listen, but I do enjoy digging it out from time to time. Optical Black, We The Descending, The Angelica Declaration and Beneath a Frozen Lake Of Stars are prob my fav moments.
OB - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiCjEY6jKuU
WTD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z77EM0fAYs
TAD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkSnm_fT3ZU
BAFLOS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQywRBCCrj8

Keep well everyone!
keith a
9573 posts

Sep 03, 2023, 21:44
Shortwave Memories - Biosphere
S/T (AKA Vital Selection) - Black Uhuru
Haunted Head – Kid Congo & the Pink Monkey Birds