Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Edited Aug 27, 2023, 11:56
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 26 August 2023 CE
Aug 27, 2023, 02:50
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - The Legendary A&M Sessions

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk (mono)

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - It Comes to You in a Plain Brown Wrapper (soniclovenoize reconstruction)

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Strictly Personal

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica (multiple spins)

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Lick My Decals Off, Baby

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - The Spotlight Kid Outtakes (4cd)

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Sun Zoom Spark Out-Takes

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Bluejeans & Moonbeams

Julian Cope - Floored Genius 2

Queen - st

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Part One
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 26 August 2023 CE
Aug 27, 2023, 08:45
The Doors - Morrison Hotel
The Doors - Waiting For The Sun

Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billy Joe
Bobbie Gentry - The Delta Sweete
Bobbie Gentry - Local Gentry
Glen Campbell & Bobbie Gentry - Glen Campbell & Bobbie Gentry

The Beach Boys - Wild Honey
The Beach Boys - Friends
The Beach Boys - 20/20

Donovan - A Gift From A Flower To A Garden

Anne Briggs - The Hazards Of Love/Four Songs EPs
Anne Briggs - Anne Briggs
Anne Briggs - The Time Has Come
Anne Briggs - Sing A Song For You

Lal & Mike Waterson - Bright Phoebus

Elton John - Friends
The Kinks - Percy (Two 1971 soundtracks for not very highly rated films, both of which I re-watched. Friends is nicely photographed but rather corny - Elton's songs work better divorced from the overly poetic visuals. Ray Davies' songs give Percy a pleasingly melancholy tone, and among the crude knob gags and often ham-fisted direction there are some oddly sensitive moments, not least Graham Crowden's gay character who is treated surprisingly non-judgementally for a 70s Britcom).
The Kinks - Preservation Act 1
The Kinks - Preservation Act 2 (This band's most unjustly maligned opus. Programme out Christopher Timothy's annoying announcements and you have a classic rock opera).

The Incredible String Band - Liquid Acrobat As Regards The Air
The Incredible String Band - Earthspan
The Incredible String Band - No Ruinous Feud
The Incredible String Band - Hard Rope & Silken Twine

The Coral - The Invisible Invasion
The Coral - The Curse Of Love

Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley No.2 (UK version with superior yellow sleeve)
Elvis Presley - Loving You
Elvis Presley - King Creole
Elvis Presley - For LP Fans Only
Elvis Presley - A Date With Elvis
Elvis Presley - Elvis' Golden Records
Elvis Presley - 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong: Elvis' Gold Records, Volume 2

The Fiery Furnaces - Rehearsing My Choir
The Fiery Furnaces - Bitter Tea

John Lennon - Walls & Bridges (“On the 23rd Aug. 1974 at 9 o’clock I saw a U.F.O.”)

Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn (Boxed)
Mike Oldfield - Collaborations (Boxed)

Jan & Dean - Folk'n'Roll
Jan & Dean - Meet Batman
Jan & Dean - Filet Of Soul
Jan & Dean - Popsicle
Jan & Dean - Save For A Rainy Day
Jan & Dean - Carnival Of Sound

The Apples In Stereo - Fun Trick Noise Maker
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Aug 27, 2023, 09:27
Aug 27, 2023, 09:14
Music making still performs the usual functions:

Kevin Ayers ‘Still Life With Guitar’ - Kevin’s penultimate album was a pretty moribund affair, its only real virtue being his wonderful baritone voice. He would sign off with a much better record;

Soft Machine ‘Third’ - arguably Ayers’ old band’s artistic apex, or at least the last point (up until ‘Bundles’, anyway) where there was enough rock edge to keep them out of the jazz section of the record shop. I’ve always thought of this as four very distinct half albums, so different does each side sound. And each has been my favourite at different times. Currently I’m in a ‘Slightly All The Time’ phase;

Incredible String Band ‘The Hangman’s Beautiful Daughter’ - inspired by talk around these parts of its mono mix (which I have sadly never heard), I pulled this little gem (in stereo) from my dusty racks. Oh lordy, how great it still sounds: very much of its time, but totally of its own sound world. I’ve flirted with other ISB albums over the years but this will always be my favourite;

Gary Numan ‘The Pleasure Principle’ - I’ve loved hearing this again too. Numan’s influence has been underrated while the likes of Depeche Mode and the Human League have not. Why? Yeah, he achieved true pop star status, but so what? No one else sounded like this at the time, and even his hero John Foxx released an album that sounded just like this the following year. It’s taken me over forty years to admit it but… Numan was class. There, I’ve said it. Can’t take it back now;

Bob Dylan ‘Planet Waves’ - maybe not the masterpiece it should have been, but still a thoroughly enjoyable meeting of minds between the Zim and his illustrious Band-mates. RIP Robbie;

The Pointer Sisters S/T - long before they hit singles chart gold, the Pointers were patenting a solid, original style that veered between jazz, gospel, pop and fatback funk with ease. There’s some real experimental shit going down here: a one chord reconstruction of The Crusaders’ ‘That’s How I Feel’ has to be heard to be believed! This 1973 debut LP is a forgotten gem that has dated much better than any of their massive 80s hits;

Eric Clapton S/T - another fine debut, even if its creator wasn’t exactly unknown when he made it. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: in 1970, Clapton was at the top of his game. And he never made another solo album as good as this - especially in his own, long buried, mix;

Shakin’ Stevens ‘Re-Set’ - okay, take the piss… but this dude can move you, believe me. This is a short, superbly executed set of songs appealing to grumpy old bastards like me;

Jacobites ‘Robespierre’s Velvet Basement’ - dear old Nikki Sudden couldn’t sing in tune to save his (sadly short) life, yet had a voice that was just right for these fabulous songs. His compadre David Kusworth was a perfect foil. RIP both of you;

The Who ‘Sell Out’ - always my fave ‘Oo LP: baroque pop, psych and proto-hard rock in perfect equilibrium. Deffo the best album of 1967 - yeah, really. If only the pirate radio concept could’ve lasted two whole sides;

Shirley Collins ‘Archangel Hill’ - old age has brought an extra poignancy to Shirley’s ever-plaintive voice and, as ever, her choice of songs is exemplary;

Merle Haggard ‘Okie From Muskogee’ - for all his early right wing leanings, Haggard was far less establishment than many more right-on artistes. This LP from 1969 documents - in over doctored form - his talents on stage. He wasn’t Waylon, but who else was;

Joy S/T - Joy was a fabulous young London-based quintet whose sole album has been recently remastered and reissued. You’d never believe this was recorded in 1976 if you didn’t already know. Jazz this good turns heads and defies time;

John Coltrane ‘Coltrane Live At Birdland’ - capturing Trane’s classic quartet at the point where there was a near-ideal balance between lyricism and abstraction, this is one gas of a live recording, believe me. Shame that there only sounds like about thirty in the audience. I’d’ve gone mesel but I was only two;

Mahler: Symphony no.9 (BBC PO/Kurt Sanderling) - proving that great music making doesn’t necessitate a great orchestra. Sanderling made these Mancunians play like angels back in 1982, and this interpretation is as powerful and heart rending as any;

Beethoven: Symphony no.7 (VPO/Carlos Kleiber) - Kleiber Jnr made only a handful of studio records, most of which garnered big critical licks. I’ve never quite got it, to be honest: in the present instance I can think of at least fifty recordings - including that of Kleiber Snr - that present a more convincing view of this magnificent symphony. Don’t get me wrong: this is a good record, but it’s far from being a great one. And why he, like Erich before him, thought the last three notes of the slow movement should be played pizzicato is beyond me;

Beethoven: String Quartet no.2 in G, Op.18 no.2 (Hungarian Quartet) - the Hungarian Quartet made two complete studio traversals of Beethoven’s string quartets, with the earlier mono set the most vibrant. This is a very decent example;

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Op.90 & Op.101 (Louis Lortie) - Lortie’s name is rarely mentioned these days in comparative reviews of Beethoven’s 32 sonatas, but I admire his skill in bringing out all their drama without exaggeration. His early 90s Chandos cycle is reasonably priced and superbly recorded;

Mendelssohn: String Quartet no.6 in F minor, Op.80 (Doric Quartet) - all of the angst and drama of this late work is brought out in style by the Dorics;

Beethoven: Piano Sonata Op.106 ‘Hammerklavier’ (Alfred Brendel) - 1983 BBC recording which - a slightly rushed third movement aside - sounds near ideal to me: truly individual without being so far out it detracts from the spirit of the music. And what music. We are not worthy.

May the long time sun shine upon you.

Dave x
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Aug 27, 2023, 10:22
New York Dolls – New York Dolls
Mott The Hoople – The Hoople
Mick Ronson – Slaughter On 10th Avenue
Golden Earring – Switch
Lou Reed – Coney Island Baby
T. Rex – Futuristic Dragon
Doctors Of Madness – Figments Of Emancipation
Brian Eno – Before And After Science
Can – The Lost Tapes
Klaus Dinger – Klaus Dinger + Japandorf
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Aug 27, 2023, 11:30
Joshua Abrams - Represencing / Megnetoception

Aerovans - Resurrection

The Aggregation - Mind Odyssey

The Asteroid No 4 - S/t

Kevin Ayers - Joy Of A Toy / Shooting At The Moon

Devandra Banhart - Oh Me Oh My / The Black Babies (UK) / Rejoicing In Your Hands

Boards Of Canada - A Few Old Tunes / Old Tunes Vol 2 / Geogaddi / Tomorrow's Harvest

Can - Ogam Odat / Ege Bamyasi / Future Days / Doko E

Cluster - Sowiesoso / Grosses Wasser / On Land (with Eno)

Dr Strangely Strange - Kip Of The Serenes

Brian Eno - Evening Star (with Robert Fripp) / Discreet Music / Music For Films / Music For Airports

Fugazi - S/t / Margin Walker

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Smash Hits / BBC Sessions

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Rahsaan Rahsaan / Prepare Thyself To Deal With A Miracle / Spirits Up Above: The Atlantic Years 1965 - 1976

Loop Guru - Amrita

Love - Forever Changes / Four Sail

The Only Ones - S/t

Psychic TV - Temporary Temple / Live In Heaven / Kondole / Tekno Acid Beat

Rudimentary Peni - The EPs of RP / Death Church / Cacophony

Klaus Schulze - Dune

Shelleyan Orphan - Helleborine

Simon & Garfunkel - The Graduate OST (with David Grousin) / Greatest Hits

Patti Smith - Gone Again / Peace & Noise

Soft Machine - Volume 1 / Volume 2 / Top Gear 1967 & 1969

Vangelis - Blade Runner OST

The Velvet Underground - 1969 / S/t (MGM Special comp) / Live MCMXCIII
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Edited Aug 27, 2023, 18:06
Aug 27, 2023, 17:47
Seem to be in 'ambient' mode at the mo, hence....

Dorothy Moskowitz & the United States of Alchemy - Under an Endless Sky
https://tompkinssquare.bandcamp.com/album/under-an-endless-sky

In Gowan Ring - The Glinting Spade/ The Twin Trees
Not played these in the longest time, probably over 10 years at least, dunno why, cos' both are a fabbo smoosh of neo folk atmospheres. Pity that the World Serpent label went sideways, they used to put out interesting stuff, without the vague flirty fascist whiff of labels doing similar stuff today like Cold Spring.
https://ingowanring.bandcamp.com/album/the-twin-trees
https://ingowanring.bandcamp.com/album/the-glinting-spade

Eno - Wobble - Spinner
Think ole John put all he hard work in on this one whilst Eno as usual drew the acolades.

Jah Wobble - The Bus Routes Of Sarf London
Nice idea, working up songs on an ipad on route to somewhere, though not being familiar with the bus eoutes of South London I couldn't say wether he captures their essence or not, or even if that was the intention. Could have just been an excercise in working outside the box. Anyway, decent enough listen, though prefer the more recent 'A Brief History Of Now'.
https://jahwobble.bandcamp.com/album/the-bus-routes-of-south-london
https://cleopatrarecords.bandcamp.com/album/a-brief-history-of-now

Love and Rockets - Sweet F.A / My Dark Twin
Considering my mispent youth as a rabid Bauhaus fan, Iwas never the biggest L&R fan, esp after they emigrated and went all American rawk, but these two hit the spot nicely. S>F>A> Originally released in 97' long after I stopped paiying them any interest gets a justified reissue. The new sister album of outtakes etc... is equally entrancing. Mind you, I still do love the proto L&R get up that is Tones on Tail.
https://loveandrockets.bandcamp.com/album/sweet-f-a
https://loveandrockets.bandcamp.com/merch/my-dark-twin-compact-disc
TOT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsI7mhlm0BE&list=PLfimnwaZdumi-6kO5SukDmtZb85AcbiKT

Nick Turner - The Final Frontier
Particularly like the quieter 'Back To The Ship', which manages to sound like half a dozen different Hawkwind tracks all at once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w5aLf8z890

Children Of Alice - S/T
Wonder if there will ever be a follow up to this meandering beauty?

Off on a break in a week or so, saw a recommendation on here for Mick Houhtons 'Fried & Justified...' so picked up a copy and it's gonna wend it's way with me. Looking forward to it.

Have better one!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Aug 27, 2023, 17:59
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Gary Numan ‘The Pleasure Principle’ - I’ve loved hearing this again too. Numan’s influence has been underrated while the likes of Depeche Mode and the Human League have not. Why? Yeah, he achieved true pop star status, but so what? No one else sounded like this at the time, and even his hero John Foxx released an album that sounded just like this the following year. It’s taken me over forty years to admit it but… Numan was class. There, I’ve said it. Can’t take it back now

I loved him dearly as an awkward pre teen, right up to Telekon, after that it all went a bit, erm, white funk and detective garb till the truly awful Mad Max Warrior period. I still massively rate those early Tubeway Army/ Numan releases. Much like John Foxx, The Human League, Ultravox, Kraftwerk et al, they were truly the sound of the future. Iwouldn't much bother with those Pleasure Principle/ Replicas demo albums, as the songs were almost pre-formed in their entirity, give or take a few. Anyhow, here's a link should you wish to peruse anyway...
Replicas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syXXDdt2FuQ&list=PLdB2qly-JTgAlLhgYxN58VfCKLNxWCgOF
Pleasure https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ntQt-sBimStSd0e2I3xToCIdSNwteUvYs
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Aug 27, 2023, 20:09
Monganaut wrote:

Children Of Alice - S/T
Wonder if there will ever be a follow up to this meandering beauty?

That would be nice! This gets lots of spins with me. Usually play alongside Investigate Witch Cults as it feels like Children Of Alice is a follow up to that. A follow up would make a holy trinity of Broadcast with The Focus Group.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Aug 27, 2023, 21:18
I guess if you include the tour EP Mother is the Milky Way, almost a trilogy already.
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Aug 27, 2023, 21:51
Monganaut wrote:
I guess if you include the tour EP Mother is the Milky Way, almost a trilogy already.

Now that is one I have not heard. Take it that was with Focus Group too?
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index