Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2023, 04:34
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 19 August 2023 CE
Aug 20, 2023, 04:23
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - The Legendary A&M Sessions

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - It Comes to You in a Plain Brown Wrapper (soniclovenoize reconstruction)

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Grow Fins, selections from disc 3, Trout House Sessions

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - The Spotlight Kid Outtakes (discs 1 & 2 of 4)

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Clear Spot

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Bat Chain Puller

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Shiny Beast

Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band – I'm Going To Do What I Wanna Do (Live At My Father's Place 1978)

Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band – Doc At The Radar Station

Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band – Ice Cream For Crow

The Holy Modal Rounders – The Moray Eels Eat The Holy Modal Rounders

Bo Diddley - Gold

Tim Hardin - 2

Vivaldi, City Of London Sinfonia, Nicholas Kraemer – Wind Concerti RV 122, 533, 537, 538, 539, 545 & 560
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2023, 17:36
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 19 August 2023 CE
Aug 20, 2023, 09:52
I start to shiver and shake:

Waylon Jennings ‘Waylon’ - short & sweet 1970 album with the great man on fine vocal and geetar pickin’ form. His take on Chuck Berry’s ‘Brown Eyed Handsome Man’ - which he performed with relish on The Johnny Cash Show - is a real hoot;

Peter Hammill ‘Sitting Targets’ - I used to think of this as something of a disappointment after Hammill’s glorious run of Charisma albums but, like its self-made predecessor ‘A Black Box’, its charms are now quite evident to my jaded ears - though it’d be better still had Guy Evans featured. Those primitive electronic drums can really grate - and date;

Talk Talk ‘The Colour Of Spring’ - the last fully approachable album that the much missed Mark Hollis made, with subtle hints of the abstraction to come. One of 1986’s few releases that have stood my personal test of time;

Wire ‘Chairs Missing’ - so many subsequent acts have sounded like Wire did that this almost seems like a current release. Except, of course, that no-one now sounds as good;

Wigwam ‘Nuclear Nightclub’ - by 1975 Wigwam had become a vehicle for Hull-born Jim Pembroke’s ascerbic yet melodic muse, and really should have made a bigger splash in the rock pool than they did. This is an excellent album that doesn’t sound its near half century age;’

Bad Company ‘Straight Shooter’ - because everybody needs a shot of 70s cock rock from time to time;

James Gang ‘Miami’ - my previous comments refer. Tommy Bolin shone on all the myriad records he played on in his all too brief lifetime, and this is as good as any;

The Cars ‘Candy O’ - still cock rocky I suppose, but with pop chops. Good, but not great;

The Beach Boys ‘Sunflower’ - which I personally rate higher than its critically overpraised follow up ‘Surf’s Up’. Not that the latter is a bad album - far from it - but ‘Sunflower’ has songs which appeal to me more, and not just from Brian Wilson’s shaky pen;

Viv Albertine ‘The Vermilion Border’ - very decent 2012 solo album from The Slits’ former guitarist, heavy on beats and attitude. High time for a follow up, Viv;

Mogwai ‘Central Belters’ - there aren’t many anthologies I’d class as definitive, but this comes pretty damned close. Great value too;

Joy Division ‘Substance’ - another decent compilation, capturing their essence without touching either of their proper albums. Very useful, in other words;

Kansas ‘The Prelude Implicit’ - despite many lineup changes, Kansas have kept their patent prog cogs oiled over more than half a century. This 2016 album is as good as the records that defined them back in the 70s and boasts much better sound than any of them;

Hatfield and the North S/T - for no valid reason I hadn’t played this in at least a year and well, absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. Life’s too short to deny myself my favourite band this long. Fol de rol;

Humble Pie ‘Thunderbox’ - proving that the Pie could rock as hard and funky as the best of them, and with a sublime vocalist to boot. I don’t ‘alf miss you, Steve;

John Coltrane ‘A Love Supreme’ - Coltrane’s most lauded record is one that I like rather than love, but yields new subtleties every time I play it. Maybe that’s the key to its greatness;

Herbie Hancock ‘Secrets’ - post-Miles and pre-Rockit LP that is jazzy yet funky with no fusion blandness;

Joy S/T - new reissue of 1976 one-off album by this ace multi-cultural jazz collective. AEC fans like me will dig;

Black Dyke Mills Band/Roy Newsome ‘The Champions’ - played on what would have been my dear dad’s 88th birthday. He loved brass bands, and especially this one, caught in stellar form back in 1968. God bless you, Dad;

Honegger: Symphony no.4 (Bournemouth Sinfonietta/Tamas Vasary) - the most lyrical of Honegger’s five symphonies, delightfully rendered here;

Beethoven: Three Piano Sonatas, Op.10, Op.31 no.1, Op.57 ‘Appassionata’ and Op.78 (Louis Lortie) - three prime early Beethoven sonatas played with appropriately classical poise by the underrated Lortie. His ‘Appassionata’ and the short Op.78 are similarly precise in feel and tempo. Others may project more of their own personalities into this music but, listening to this, I just hear Beethoven. And isn’t that the way it should be?

Try to sing a sober song after all that din.

Best to all

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1117 posts

Aug 20, 2023, 11:07
Alternative - If They Treat You Like Shit Act Like Manure / EPs

Amon Duul - Paradieswarts Duul

Laurie Anderson - Big Science

The Art Of Lovin' - S/t

Ash Ra Tempel - S/t

Bad Boys Batucada - S/t

Angelo Badalamenti - Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me OST

The Beach Boys - Smile (soniclovenoize) / Smiley Smile / Friends / 20/20 / Surf's Up

The Beat Of The Earth - S/t

The Beatles - Revolver (2022 - Stereo remix & Sessions) / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band / Magical Mystery Tour

David Bowie - Images / Love You Till Tuesday / S/t (Space Oddity)

Bread, Love & Dreams - Amaryllis / The Strange Tale Of Captain Shannon & The Hunchback From Gigha

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside / Lionheart

Can - Monster Movie / Delay 1968 / Soundtracks / Tago Mago / Cannabilism 3 (solo)

Cluster - '71 / II / Zuckerzeit

The Electric Prunes - I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night / Underground

Jacco Gardner - Cabinet Of Curiosities

Nico Gomez & His Afro Percussion Inc - Ritual

Harmonia - Musik Von Harmonia / Deluxe / Documents 1975

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Next ...

Kaleidoscope - Forget About Tomorrow: The Singles

Kennelmus - Folkstone Prism

King Crimson - Starless & Bible Black / The Young Persons Guide To KC / To Collectable KC Vol 1

New Order - Movement / Power, Corruption & Lies

Nico - Heroine / Camera Obscura

XTC - Oranges & Lemons / Nonsuch

V/A - Lost Highway OST
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Aug 20, 2023, 11:22
The Motors- 1
Tim Hardin- 2
Pearls Before Swine- Balaklava
The Kinks- Face To Face
Flicks- Go For The Effect
Clifford T Ward- Mantle Pieces
Wishbone Ash- Pilgrimage
Tommy James & The Shondells- Cellophane Symphony
Traffic- Last Exit
Abstract Concrete- S/T
Goat- Oh Death
Goat- Medicine
Infinite River- Space Mirror
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Aug 20, 2023, 13:46
Jan & Dean - Ride The Wild Surf
Jan & Dean - The Little Old Lady From Pasadena
Jan & Dean - Command Performance: Live In Person
Jan & Dean - Pop Symphony No.1

The Coral - Magic & Medicine
The Coral - Nightfreak & The Sons Of Becker

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
Traffic - The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys

The Beach Boys - Smile (ultimate stereo full vocal mix)
The Beach Boys - Smiley Smile
The Beach Boys - Wild Honey

The Heavy Blinkers - The Heavy Blinkers

His Name Is Alive - Stars On ESP

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day

Belle & Sebastian - Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant

Paul Giovanni/Magnet - The Wicker Man (Trunk Records)

Paddy Kingsland - The Changes

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge

Elvis Presley - Sun Singles

The Incredible String Band - Be Glad For The Song Has No Ending
keith a
9573 posts

Aug 20, 2023, 21:28
Angels Flight - Biosphere
Delay 1968 – Can
Haunted Head – Kid Congo & the Pink Monkey Birds
Robin Hood – Julian Cope
Coral Island – The Coral
Sleepless - Immersion
Close To The Glass – The Notwist
Texas Fever – Orange Juice
( ) - Sigur Ros
Black Bay – Silver Moth
Cum On Feel The Noize: The Best Of... - Slade
The EP Collection – When Rivers Meet
Mojo Presents Punk Nuggets – V/A
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2023, 16:48
Aug 21, 2023, 16:46
Hope you're all doing fine.

Prins Tomas - S/T
Wish he had continued in the 'kosmiche disco' stylee of this debut, it's a lovely chilled record.

The Orb - Abolition of the Royal Familiar
There are a couple of super chilled piano led tracks on here that are just lush.

Erika - Anevite Void
If you're old enough to remember those Warp artifical Intelegence releases of the mid 90's then you may just enjoy this, as the sounds and atmosphere remind me big time of the B12 album Electro Soma (which is deffo worth a listen too). https://erika.bandcamp.com/album/anevite-void-it-50

Rrose - Please Touch
Minimal techno and stretched out ambience. Not always in the fram of mind to listen to this kinda stuff, but htting home runs all week with this.
https://eaux.ro/album/please-touch

Dorothy Moskowitz & The United States of Alchemy - Under an Endless Sky
This is just abeautiful record. It's a new release, but For a while I was under the impression that it was some kinda 'lost' reissue, being as it has the lady from United States of America band on it (much beloved of Broadcast and their ilk). Part Coil 'angelic conversation/how to destroy angels' part Ruth White 'Flowers of Evil', but in reality it's own thing entirely. Love it!
https://tompkinssquare.bandcamp.com/album/under-an-endless-sky

Incredible String Band - Hangman's Beuatiful Daughter (mono)
Picked up a cheap old scratchy 56 year old vinyl to have a listen to the allegedly slightly differing mono mix as I do love this release. Gotta be honest, I barely noticed the difference to the stereo version. Maybe I need to listen harder :) I do like owning the cover in all it's 1960's full size laminated glory tho. Gunna put it up in the loo.

Various - Jon Savage ''Fame''- Secret History Of Post-Punk 1978-81
Got several of the Savage comps' always worth a punt as he always turns up a few unheard gems amongst the usual selections. Mind you, hardly unsung, but never get bored of the Pere Ubu song Heart of Darkness.

Various - Bob Stanley & Pete Wiggs Present Winter of Discontent
As above really.

Keep keeping on y'all!
garerama
garerama
1117 posts

Aug 22, 2023, 20:14
Monganaut wrote:
Hope you're all doing fine.
Incredible String Band - Hangman's Beuatiful Daughter (mono)
Picked up a cheap old scratchy 56 year old vinyl to have a listen to the allegedly slightly differing mono mix as I do love this release. Gotta be honest, I barely noticed the difference to the stereo version. Maybe I need to listen harder :) I do like owning the cover in all it's 1960's full size laminated glory tho. Gunna put it up in the loo.

Good you picked this up. It is nice to have as you say with the laminated cover with the two of them. The main difference is in "A Very Cellular Song" but me I know that song inside out.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Aug 22, 2023, 22:37
Aug 22, 2023, 22:33
OK, will give it a closer listen, cheers. Yeah, the cover looks lovely next to my old Stones Decca era B/W Out of Our Heads LP.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Aug 22, 2023, 23:10
You must stop imagining all this, for your own good. :-)
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index