Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Edited Aug 16, 2023, 21:28
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 August 2023 CE
Aug 14, 2023, 22:11
A few weeks worth here!

Black Tie White Noise – David Bowie
This feels like an important DB release to me – his first solo album of the 90's finds him getting back on track after a number of indifferent (and sometimes worse) 80's solo records. Some interesting covers (Walker Brothers, Cream and Moz), too.

Seeekrets – Kleeer
Mid-80's smooth funk kinda thing that is probably a little tooooo smooth but there are a couple of tracks I still enjoyed.

The Correct Use Of Soap – Magazine
No Thyself – Magazine
Hearing the belated comeback album for the first time in a while, I was left thinking that it maybe wasn't as great as I had thought at the time. Nonetheless there are some great moments, not least from Noko on guitar and I for one am glad that it exists.

New World Order – Curtis Mayfield
Mayfield's post-accident final release was an incredibly brave album, so it feels churlish to say anything remotely bad about it. I liked this a lot at the time apart from one weak number that stood out like a sore thumb. Listening back now, there are a few other lesser moments but as I'm saying similar things about a few things I'm starting to think it must be me that week! Some lovely moments such as Just A Little Bit Of Love though.

Peel Session EP – A Sudden Sway
Not heard this in a long time. One of the more unusual Peel sessions shall we say.

+Justments – Bill Withers
First Bill Withers LP I ever heard and still a favourite with good songwriting and some lovely grooves. Ruby Lee sounded really good this time around.

Also...
Push The Sky Away – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
'Robin Hood'
Visionary – Gordon Giltrap
Exodus – Bob Marley & the Wailers
Some Girls – Rolling Stones

Unsung Forum Index