Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 August 2023 CE

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Edited Aug 13, 2023, 15:15
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 August 2023 CE
Aug 13, 2023, 02:51
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band – It Comes To You In A Plain Brown Wrapper (soniclovenoize reconstruction)

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Strictly Personal (alternate version)

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band – Trout Mask Replica

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band – Lick My Decals Off, Baby

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band – The Spotlight Kid

The Wailers - The Wailing Wailers

The Beach Boys - Holland

Julian Cope - World Shut Your Mouth

Julian Cope - Fried

The Holy Modal Rounders - 1 & 2

Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers

Blind Blake - The Best of Blind Blake (Yazoo 2058)

The Allman Brothers Band - Beginnings

Sam Collins - Jailhouse Blues

V.A. - The R&B Box: 30 Years of Rhythm & Blues Volume 2
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 August 2023 CE
Aug 13, 2023, 10:09
Blondie - Parallel Lines / Eat To The Beat

Julian Cope - Fried / Cope Notes #3: World Shut Your Mouth / Cope Notes #4: Black Sheep

The Damned - The Black Album / Strawberries / Give Daddy Your Knife Cindy (Naz Nomad & The Nightmares) / So, Who's Paranoid

Klaus Dinger & Pre-Japandorf - !2000!

The Doors/ Jim Morrison - An American Prayer

Gong - Magick Brother / Camembert Electrique / Gong Est Mort, Vive Gong / Mother (Gilli Smyth)

The Insect Trust - S/t

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon / Lizard

Kraftwerk - Tone Float (Organisation) / S/t / 2

Matching Mole - S/t / Little Red Record

Mr Fox - S/t / The Gipsy

Mushroom - Early One Morning

My Bloody Valentine - E.P's 1988-1991

Neu! - S/t / 2 / '75

Portishead - S/t / Portland NYC Live

Pugwash - Giddy

R.E.M. - Murmor

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Kaleidoscope / Juju

Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies / Pure Phase / Royal Albert Hall

Tom Waits - Asylum Years / Swordfishtrombone / Rain Dogs

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom / Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard

V/A

Cease & Resist: Anarcho Punk In The UK 1979-86

Punk Nuggets (Mojo)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2613 posts

Aug 13, 2023, 10:10
Weird vibrations in the basement:

Dexys ‘The Feminine Devine’ - maybe it’s my current state of mind, but after two tracks of unrelenting jolly tweeness I had to turn this off. Old Kev seems to have lost his edge. I’ll mebbes give this another go when I’m in a better mood;

Blur ‘The Ballad Of Darren’ - aah, this is so much better. Middle age suits these dudes, though obvious traces of laddish youth remain;

The Beach Boys ‘20/20’ - typically patchy post-Pet Sounds LP, but who don’t love ‘Do It Again’ or ‘I Can Hear Music’;

Mahavishnu Orchestra ‘Between Nothingness and Eternity’ - live swansong of the original lineup: three slabs of sheer headfuck led by the original axe shredder;

Isotope ‘Deep End’ - third, last and funkiest LP of Gary Boyle’s mid-70s Isotope project. Sounds much fresher than its age may imply. (I was gonna scribe something to the effect of Boyle being the English John McLaughlin before I remembered that the latter hails from’t Donny);

Neil Young ‘Chrome Dreams’ - which is interesting to hear in its intended format at last, but nineteen quid for a CD of songs I’ve (mostly) bought at least once seems a bit much. I haven’t that much “will to love”;

Humble Pie ‘Thunderbox’ - weren’t Marriott class? This is one seriously funky slice of rock and roll. Stream with confidence;

Lou Reed ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll Animal’ - my first exposure to these VU classics was via this album, and I still dig its hard rock take on them;

David Gilmour S/T - Gilmour’s debut solo LP from 1978 is decent, straight rock; a little characterless maybe, but more stimulating to my ears than any of the records released under the Pink Floyd name after Roger Waters’ departure;

Sex Pistols (well, partly) ‘The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle’ - most of which is unlistenable garbage, saved by the Rotten-era covers and the title track which, though far from echt Pistols as such, I’ve always quite liked;

Family ‘It’s Only A Movie’ - Family’s last album is no classic, but bears a drunken charm that makes for a mostly fun listen. I dread to think of the mayhem that Roger Chapman and Tony Ashton did together;

Kansas ‘The Absence Of Presence’ - not many bands of fifty years’ standing can produce music as fresh and powerful as this. Quality US prog with melody and balls in near-perfect equilibrium;

Jade Warrior ‘Way Of The Sun’ - Jade Warrior existed in a genre void of their own: a weird melange of rock, jazz, world and what was still to be termed “new age” without definitively inhabiting any of those descriptions. This, the last of their Island phase, is typical - if anything can be - of their art, on which they drift, then rock (hard), then drift again. I dig ‘em muchly;

Julian Cope ‘Cunts Can Fuck Off’ - a year on, still so relevant and profound. Oh Drude, I know how you feel;

Johnny Cash ‘The Man In Black’ - 1971 LP featuring the great man’s signature song and a few other gems; a bit heavy on the God bothering stuff, but highly entertaining anyway;

Waylon Jennings ‘Waymore’s Blues (Part II)’ - close to the end of his recording career, Waylon teamed up with Don Was to make perhaps his greatest album. That this magnificent record bombed is a mystery, but I feel lucky that it’s enriched my life for nearly thirty years. Even country agnostics may groove to this: great songs, great vocals, great playing, great sound.

Haydn: String Quartets Op.33 no.6 and Op.76 nos.5 & 6 (Doric String Quartet) - beautifully judged performances, stunningly recorded by Chandos;

Stravinsky: Le Sacre du printemps (Detroit SO/Antal Dorati) - Dorati made a fabulously fiery mono recording of this ever-radical score with the Minneapolis SO in the early 50s. This 80s reading is much less extreme but still satisfies in bringing out the lyrical elements that exist in the mire.

Marlon Brando, Pocahontas and me.

Sweet dreams

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Aug 13, 2023, 13:24
Jan & Dean - The Jan & Dean Sound
Jan & Dean - Golden Hits
Jan & Dean - Take Linda Surfin'
Jan & Dean - Surf City
Jan & Dean - Drag City
Jan & Dean - Dead Man's Curve/The New Girl In School

Simon & Garfunkel - Wednesday Morning 3AM
Simon & Garfunkel - Sounds Of Silence (mono)
Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme (mono)
Simon & Garfunkel - The Graduate OST
Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
The Beach Boys - Smile
Al Jardine - Postcard From California

The Coral - The Coral

Lilys - Better Can't Make Your Life Better
Lilys - The 3-Way
Lilys - Services For The Soon To Be Departed
Lilys - Zero Population Growth

The Monkees - Justus
The Monkees - Good Times!

Sun Ra - Singles: The Definitive 45s Collection 1952-1991

Prefab Sprout - Kings Of Rock & Roll: The Best Of...

Eternity's Children - Eternity's Children
Eternity's Children - Timeless

Elton John - Friends

The Incredible String Band - I Looked Up
The Incredible String Band - U
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Aug 16, 2023, 21:28
Aug 14, 2023, 22:11
A few weeks worth here!

Black Tie White Noise – David Bowie
This feels like an important DB release to me – his first solo album of the 90's finds him getting back on track after a number of indifferent (and sometimes worse) 80's solo records. Some interesting covers (Walker Brothers, Cream and Moz), too.

Seeekrets – Kleeer
Mid-80's smooth funk kinda thing that is probably a little tooooo smooth but there are a couple of tracks I still enjoyed.

The Correct Use Of Soap – Magazine
No Thyself – Magazine
Hearing the belated comeback album for the first time in a while, I was left thinking that it maybe wasn't as great as I had thought at the time. Nonetheless there are some great moments, not least from Noko on guitar and I for one am glad that it exists.

New World Order – Curtis Mayfield
Mayfield's post-accident final release was an incredibly brave album, so it feels churlish to say anything remotely bad about it. I liked this a lot at the time apart from one weak number that stood out like a sore thumb. Listening back now, there are a few other lesser moments but as I'm saying similar things about a few things I'm starting to think it must be me that week! Some lovely moments such as Just A Little Bit Of Love though.

Peel Session EP – A Sudden Sway
Not heard this in a long time. One of the more unusual Peel sessions shall we say.

+Justments – Bill Withers
First Bill Withers LP I ever heard and still a favourite with good songwriting and some lovely grooves. Ruby Lee sounded really good this time around.

Also...
Push The Sky Away – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
'Robin Hood'
Visionary – Gordon Giltrap
Exodus – Bob Marley & the Wailers
Some Girls – Rolling Stones
Unsung Forum Index