5 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 5 August 2023 CE
Aug 06, 2023, 11:50
Paul Simon - Seven Psalms
Paul Simon - Stranger To Stranger
Paul Simon - In The Blue Light (Ordering Seven Psalms on Amazon, I discovered the previous 2 albums, which I hadn't got round to hearing, at bargain prices, so purchased those two as well. Paul Simon is making surprisingly vital music in his old age. Stranger To Stranger is full of unusual samples and his ruminations on the term 'Motherfucker' made me laugh. Great to hear his acoustic guitar skills to the fore on Seven Psalms, nicely supported by bells and drones).

Heron - Upon Reflection: The Dawn Anthology

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge

Fuchsia - Fuchsia
Fuchsia - Fuchsia, Mahagonny & Other Gems
Fuchsia - Fuchsia II: From Psychedelia To A Distant Place

Leonard Cohen - Various Positions
Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man
Leonard Cohen - The Future

The Incredible String Band - The Incredible String Band
The Incredible String Band - The 5,000 Spirits or The Layers Of The Onion
The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (These are the Fledgling reissues that briefly appeared around 10 years ago. They seemed a bit overpriced at the time, but just got all three for under a fiver each from the same Discogs seller and they are easily the definitive versions. Great packaging, beautifully remastered, especially 5,000 Spirits which was badly botched on an earlier CD release, with the stereo channels out of sync on side 2).

The Monkees - Live 1967
The Monkees - Missing Links
The Monkees - Pool It! (I remember how exciting it was when 3 new Monkees albums appeared in 1987 and trekking up to Oxford Street to pick them up on import. Live 1967 makes up in vigour what it lacks in finesse, with a fabulously grungy Stepping Stone - recorded in Seattle, of course - to close things off. Missing Links was the real surprise, a well-sequenced album that showed just how good the band's long lost out-takes were. Pool It! was the disappointment. Too 80s-sounding even then, but a few songs have grown on me over the years).

Klaus Schulze - Live

Unsung Forum Index