1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2023, 10:48
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 5 August 2023 CE
Aug 06, 2023, 04:19
The Beatles - HELP! (mono)

Klaus Schulze - Dune (track 1)

Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (mono)

Brave New World – Impressions On Reading Aldous Huxley

Code III - Planet of Man

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

XTC - Mummer

XTC - The Big Express

B.B. King - The Great B.B. King

Brewer & Shipley - Down in L.A.

Brewer & Shipley - Weeds

Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation

Wilson Pickett - Wilson Pickett's Greatest Hits

Van der Graaf Generator – The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other

Yamo - Time Pie

R.E.M. - Murmur

Grant-Lee Phillips - Ladies' Love Oracle

Hans Zimmer - DUNE Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Deluxe Edition

V.A. - AM Gold 1969

V.A. - AM Gold 1971
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2023, 09:08
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 5 August 2023 CE
Aug 06, 2023, 09:05
The downward spiral never ends:

Steely Dan ‘Can’t Buy A Thrill’ - even on their first album Fagen and Becker sound confident and in charge. I’m not sure there’s ever been a more fully realised debut than this;

Black Star Riders ‘Wrong Side Of Paradise’ - sometimes you just gotta rock. There’s little that’s original going down here but it just hits you where you want it. As does

The Answer ‘Sundowners’ - again, what’s there to say except… turn the fucker up until those lugs bleed;

Julian Cope ‘Jehovahkill’ - Julian’s 90s take on kosmische music has sustained longer than much of its antecedents have for me. He’s made many other fine records but this one will always find a place in my heart;

U2 ‘An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart’ (live) - from NME’s 1981 ‘Dancin’ Master’ tape, the best thing U2 ever did by light years. Ok, so I checked out on them quickly afterwards, but I stand by my comment. There’s genuine emotion going down here, in spades;

Opeth ‘Garden Of The Titans’ - up there with THE great rock double live albums, and harder than almost all of them. Check out the cranium busting final three minutes of ‘Deliverance’ and feel the world collapse;

Jethro Tull ‘17’ - a semi-lost B side that is right up there with the best of Tull’s music, IMHO anyway, available in three separate mixes in their ‘Benefit’ 50th anniversary box. The stereo mixes are clearer, but the mono punches hardest. No chorus, no middle eight: just a fab three chord verse played again and again for six glorious minutes;

The Smiths ‘Louder Than Bombs’ - the only band that made the mid-80s matter - at their best;

Luther Grosvenor ‘Under Open Skies’ - Ariel’s first solo album from 1971, post-Spooky Tooth and pre-Mott, with a wide range of musical flavours mostly played by the man himself. The original version of ‘When I Met You’ (later reworked by Widowmaker) and the shuffling ‘Rocket’ are particular highlights, the latter featuring a fabulously psychy guitar solo. And the dude ain’t no slouch on bass either. Blag this new reissue while it lasts;

Rolling Stones: self selection of fave back catalogue tracks - ‘cos I needed to. Won’t bore you with song details, except to say that great riffs ruled my choices;

Waylon Jennings ‘Folk-Country’ & ‘Leavin’ Town’ - Waylon’s first two RCA albums from 1966 are much more mainstream C&W fayre against the outlaw country he went on to pioneer, but his patent rich baritone is already in place. I’ve just shelled out on Cherry Red’s recent CD reissues of his 1960s albums and look forward to playing them all;

Brahms: Symphony no.1 (Lucerne SO/Michael Sanderling) - measured but epic reading that registers much higher with me than the same forces’ lacklustre Second that I played a few weeks ago. This Brahms’ First positively sings, with loads of subtle instrumental detail I miss in other recordings. What a fine orchestra Lucerne has. Who knew;

Schubert: Symphony no.9 (Orch of 18th Century/Frans Bruggen) - well played but slightly routine interpretation of a work that can move mountains;

Bruckner: Motets (Corydon Singers/ Matthew Best) - much as I love Bruckner the symphonist, there’s something uniquely pure in his vocal writing that moves me to the core, and this old Hyperion record captures it magnificently;

These days it’s all secrecy, with no privacy.

Happy trails

Dave x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Edited Aug 09, 2023, 16:10
Aug 06, 2023, 10:37
Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats- Slaughter On First Avenue
Andrew Rumsey- Evensongs
Vinny Peculiar- How I Learned To Love The Freaks
Papernut Cambridge- Mellotron Phase Volumes 1 & 2
Deviant Amps- Castle In The Sky

Julian Cope- Cope's Notes #3 (World Shut Your Mouth)
Julian Cope- Rite

Cat Stevens- The World of...
Wishbone Ash- S/T
Bryan Ferry- In Your Mind
Cameo- Word Up
The Smiths- The Queen Is Dead
Bram Tchaikovsky- Strange Man, Changed Man
Cheap Trick- Heaven Tonight
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Aug 06, 2023, 11:50
Paul Simon - Seven Psalms
Paul Simon - Stranger To Stranger
Paul Simon - In The Blue Light (Ordering Seven Psalms on Amazon, I discovered the previous 2 albums, which I hadn't got round to hearing, at bargain prices, so purchased those two as well. Paul Simon is making surprisingly vital music in his old age. Stranger To Stranger is full of unusual samples and his ruminations on the term 'Motherfucker' made me laugh. Great to hear his acoustic guitar skills to the fore on Seven Psalms, nicely supported by bells and drones).

Heron - Upon Reflection: The Dawn Anthology

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge

Fuchsia - Fuchsia
Fuchsia - Fuchsia, Mahagonny & Other Gems
Fuchsia - Fuchsia II: From Psychedelia To A Distant Place

Leonard Cohen - Various Positions
Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man
Leonard Cohen - The Future

The Incredible String Band - The Incredible String Band
The Incredible String Band - The 5,000 Spirits or The Layers Of The Onion
The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (These are the Fledgling reissues that briefly appeared around 10 years ago. They seemed a bit overpriced at the time, but just got all three for under a fiver each from the same Discogs seller and they are easily the definitive versions. Great packaging, beautifully remastered, especially 5,000 Spirits which was badly botched on an earlier CD release, with the stereo channels out of sync on side 2).

The Monkees - Live 1967
The Monkees - Missing Links
The Monkees - Pool It! (I remember how exciting it was when 3 new Monkees albums appeared in 1987 and trekking up to Oxford Street to pick them up on import. Live 1967 makes up in vigour what it lacks in finesse, with a fabulously grungy Stepping Stone - recorded in Seattle, of course - to close things off. Missing Links was the real surprise, a well-sequenced album that showed just how good the band's long lost out-takes were. Pool It! was the disappointment. Too 80s-sounding even then, but a few songs have grown on me over the years).

Klaus Schulze - Live
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Aug 06, 2023, 17:02
Boards Of Canada - The Campfire Headphase / Tomorrow's Harvest

The Boo Radleys - Everything's Alright Forever / Giant Steps

David Bowie - Low / "Heroes" / Stage / Lodger

Julian Cope - Black Sheep / Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse 2 (Black Sheep) / Black Sheep Notes

The Duckworth Lewis Method - S/t / Sticky Wickets

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' (mono) / The Times They Are A-Changing

Brian Eno - Another Green World / Discreet Music / Before & After Science / Ambient 4: On Land / Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks / Another Day On Earth

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin / The Soft Bulletin Companion

Grateful Dead - Anthem Of The Sun / Aoxomoxoa

Peter Hammill - Fool's Mate / Chameleon In The Shadow Of Night / In Camera

Roland Rahsaan Kirk - Volunteered Slavery / Blacknuss

Kraftwerk - Rolf & Florian / Autobahn

La Dusseldorf - S/t / Viva / Individuellos

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything / Loveless / m.b.v.

Nico - The Marble Index / Desertshore

Iggy Pop - The Idiot / Lust For Life

Psychic TV - Mouth Of The Night / Allegory & Self / Jack The Tab / Tekno Acid Beat

Klaus Schulze - Dune

Throbbing Gristle - Live December 2004: A Souvenir Of Camber Sands / Desertshore (X-TG) / The Final Report (X-TG)
Unsung Forum Index