Jul 30, 2023, 05:35
Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast

Klaus Schulze - Dune (track 1)

Klaus Schulze – Deus Arrakis

Pandit Nikhil Banerjee - Raga Yaman Kalyan

The Beach Boys - That's Why God Made the Radio

Richard Pinhas - Chronolyse

Blind Willie McTell - Pig 'n' Whistle Red

Grant Lee Buffalo - Mockingbirds (single)

Grant Lee Buffalo - Jubilee

Charley Patton - Blues

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon, Live at The Empire Pool, Wembley, London 1974

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, disc 2 of Experience Edition
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2613 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 July 2023 CE
Jul 30, 2023, 09:24
Tesco disco:

Bob Dylan ‘Blood On The Tracks’ - not all critically loved records are worthy of their acclaim, but this is: in fact, it’s underrated. Yes, I bought the big box a few years back and treasure it but, for me, the original 1975 release remains definitive. He’s never shone more brightly;

Blur ‘The Ballad Of Darren’ - what a middle-aged Britpop band should sound like: a few nods to their laddish heyday, but more the resigned, world-weary feel that takes over with each passing year. Story of my life. By the way, I thought that ‘St Charles Square’ sounded very like bits of…

David Bowie ‘Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps’) … especially ‘It’s No Game no.1’ and the title track, and it’s not the first time that Graham Coxon’s dissonant guitar playing has reminded me of Robert Fripp. But re-hearing this Bowie masterpiece - his last great album, IMO - I wondered why it’s stood gathering dust on my shelves for so long;

Blur ‘Modern Life Is Rubbish’ - hearing the new album made me keen to hear this again. It’s always been my favourite Blur album, and I do believe that it still is. Thirty years: jeez. Mind you, it’s taken me that long to suss that the verse melody of ‘Colin Zeal’ is too akin to ‘Went Crazy’ for comfort. Didn’t their label boss David Balfe tell them? And note that the adjacent track happens to be called ‘Pressure On Julian’…

Julian Cope ‘Robin Hood’ - hmmm. More low-fi outpourings from our hero: mostly immediate, a few less so. I’ll need more time with this but initial impressions are predominantly
positive. The DIY element that has exemplified The Drude’s recent output is most appealing;

Aztec Camera ‘High Land, Hard Rain’ - aside from Julian, The Smiths, and some of the JAMC’s oeuvre, I reckon that a decent early 80s music scene fell into sub-mediocrity until near to the end of that decade. This little gem appeared right at the cliff edge of that temporary abyss;

Jethro Tull ‘Benefit’ - I played the Steven Wilson remix against the 1970 original this week and unequivocally prefer the original. Whatever. What is clear from both is that ‘Benefit’ is easily Tull’s finest album, and I know that many - Ian Anderson included - disagree;

Nils Lofgren ‘Mountains’ - this exemplifies the consistency that a handful of mature artistes still exhibit after five decades or more. This is every bit as good as ‘Back It Up’, ‘Cry Tough’ or anything Nils released in the supposedly numb pre-punk years;

Kansas ‘In The Spirit Of Things’ - from Kansas’ lowly big hair period, one of those well executed but poorly inspired records that rather stretch the patience. I refer to my earlier comments about the mid-80s;

Waylon Jennings ‘Honky Tonk Heroes’ - Waylon’s homage to fellow outlaw countryman Billy Joe Shaver, who pens most of the songs on this excellent 1973 album;

Waylon Jennings ‘Lonesome, On’ry & Mean’ - Waylon’s earlier LP from 1973 - the first with his trademark beard in place - is a gem too: proper country with just the right amount of rock edge and the great man’s rich baritone at its best;

Keith Tippett ‘Blueprint’ - totally improvised, but musical at the same time. Keith could challenge and soothe simultaneously;

Coleridge-Taylor: 5 Fantasiestucke (Takacs Quartet) - slight but engaging chamber music: an apt filler for the Dvorak quartet with which it’s coupled;

Beethoven: Symphonies 1 & 6 ‘Pastoral’ (Verbier Fest CO/Gabor Takacs-Nagy) - two more ace performances from what is starting to look like the most sheerly enjoyable Beethoven cycle in years. There are grander and better played sets out there but none that more clearly convey the fun in these hallowed works. Ol’Ludwig wasn’t ALL sturm und drang y’know;

Brahms: Academic Festival Overture/Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe/Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (all Minneapolis SO/Antal Dorati) - from a new box set of Dorati’s complete mono Mercury records, most of which have never been available on CD. These are tense, exciting performances, with incredible sound quality for their early fifties’ vintage. The Beethoven Fifth is exceptional: much tauter than Dorati’s later LSO & RPO recordings and right up there with the best of Klemperer, Kleiber et al;

We can eat, drink and sleep together for tomorrow we die.

Love and tolerance to all

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Edited Jul 30, 2023, 20:53
Jul 30, 2023, 09:35
The Beta Band - The Three EP's
The Beta Band - The Beta Band
The Beta Band - Happiness & Colour/The Hut
The Beta Band - Hot Shots II
The Beta Band - Heroes To Zeros
The Beta Band - Live At The Shepherd's Bush Empire
(a band who I followed from the start and were always welcome even if they didn't quite fulfil their initial promise. That farewell concert, which I was at, sounds pretty great on CD)

Kraftwerk - Ralf & Florian
Kraftwerk - Autobahn

The Fiery Furnaces - Gallowsbird's Bark
The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
The Fiery Furnaces - EP
(one of the best debuts of the noughties, followed by an erratic and overstuffed second album, with far too much of brother Matthew's irritating instrumental noodling and rather charmless vocal interjections, but enough great moments nonetheless. The 40-minute 'EP' redresses the balance with all killer no filler tracks mostly culled from early singles)

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (the mix from 'Boxed' apparently the first true Quad mix, the previous one supposedly a bit of a cheat. At times it felt like I was hearing this over-familiar classic for the first time)

V/A - Shut Down
The Beach Boys - Shut Down Vol.2
The Beach Boys - All Summer Long
The Beach Boys - Concert
The Beach Boys - BBC Top Gear 1964

The Monkees - Instant Replay
The Monkees - Present
The Monkees - Changes

Leonard Cohen - New Skin For The Old Ceremony
Leonard Cohen - Death Of A Ladies' Man
Leonard Cohen - Recent Songs

Trio - Trio
Trio - Bye Bye

Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega
Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing

Elton John - A Single Man

The Incredible String Band - Changing Horses

Flo & Eddie - Illegal, Immoral & Fattening
Flo & Eddie - Moving Targets

Walter Wegmüller - Tarot
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Jul 30, 2023, 10:59
Lijadu Sisters- Horizon Unlimited
Arthur Russell- World of Echo
Madvillain- Madvillainy
Fashion- Product Perfect
The Records- Shades In Bed
Hall & Oates- Abandoned Luncheonette
Sinead O'Connor- The Lion And The Cobra
V/A- Joe Meek's Freakbeat: You're Holding Me Down
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Jul 30, 2023, 12:09
Brainticket - Cottonwoodhill / Psychonaut / Celestial Ocean

Broadcast & The Focus Group - Investigate Witch Cults In The Radio Age
Children Of Alice - S/t

Caravan - S/t / If I Could All Over Again, I'd Do It Over You / The Show Of Our Lives (comp LP)

Miles Davis - Agharta / Pangaea / Dark Magus

The Glove - Blue Sunshine

Claire Hamill - Voices

The Incredible String Band - S/t / The 5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of Onion / The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (mono)

Psychic TV - Live In Glasgow Plus / Live In Astoria / Live At Thee Subterrania / Live At Thee Mean Fiddler / Live In Thee East Village

The Red Crayola - The Parable Of Arable Land / God Bless The Red Krayola & All Who Sail With It

Judee Sill - S/t / Heart Food

Slowdive - Just For A Day / Souvlaki

Patti Smith - Live At The Border Line (1975) / A Wing & A Prayer (Boarding House, SF 15-2-76)

Spirit - S/t / The Family That Plays Together / Clear / The Twelve Dreams Of Dr Sardonicus

Stereolab - Refried Ectoplasm (Switched On Vol 2) / Aluminium Tunes (Switched On Vol 3) / Fab Four Suture

Swans - White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity / Love Of Life

Tom Waits - Asylum Years

Jane Weaver - The Fallen By Watchbird / The Silver Globe / The Amber Light / Flock (DE)
Unsung Forum Index