Edited Jul 23, 2023, 04:20
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2023 CE
Jul 23, 2023, 04:19
Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing at Baxter's

Jefferson Airplane - Another Missile is Flying

Ghost - Impera

Ghost - Phantomime EP

Stephen Stills - st

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Grow Fins (disc 1, Just Got Back From the City)

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk (Mono)

Country Joe & The Fish – Electric Music for the Mind and Body

The Wailers - 1963-1972 (discs 3 & 4 of 4)

The Residents Present The Delta Nudes - Greatest Hiss

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Goblin - Contamination

Nirvana - Nevermind

V.A. - Sounds of the Seventies 1972
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2613 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2023 CE
Jul 23, 2023, 09:40
The clock struck summertime:

Soft Machine ‘Other Doors’ - repeated plays bring this record’s subtle delights into light. I feel an album of the year contender coming into view. If - like me - you like the jazzier side of Soft Machine of old, forget any misgivings you may have about the validity of the name, and dive in;

Black Star Riders ‘Wrong Side Of Paradise’ - the latest album from BSR follows the hard rocking template they set from the start. No Scott Gorham these days but the Lizzy legacy remains, particularly in Ricky Warwick’s vocals. You gotta dig their take on ‘Crazy Horses’! I like this, a lot;

Blur ‘The Ballad Of Darren’ - I streamed this not expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I’ve ended up going out and buying the CD (yeah, ever the consumerist luddite) and playing it constantly for the last couple of days. It’s mood is much like my own: a bit low, with occasional splashes of vitality. Maybe that’s why it registers with me;

Rory Gallagher ‘Deuce’ (50th Anniversary 2CD edition) - the live and alternative takes on CD2 are so fresh and energetic they make me feel quite emotional. This is real fly on the wall stuff, making what was always a great album sound like it was made yesterday. Fans will have this already but hey, if you’ve even a slight interest in Rory, you’re gonna love this;

The Beach Boys ‘Surf’s Up’ - a fair-to-middling album IMHO, not the great last Beach Boys’ utterance it’s held out to be. I’d go for ‘Smiley Smile’ (and not the version of ‘Smile’ which was eventually put out) above this every time;

Jethro Tull ‘Benefit’ (50th Anniversary Box) - two fine 1970 live concert recordings make this worthwhile, alongside contemporary 45s, b-sides and alternate mixes. It’s a shame that the original album mix is buried away on the DVD-A as I’m not taken by the Steven Wilson remix that heads the set. Whatever, this is probably the last word on what to me is Ian Anderson’s greatest long playing achievement, and I’m glad to have it. Incidentally, I’m perplexed by his stated negativity towards the hard rock repetition fest of ‘17’, which I absolutely adore;

Southern Empire S/T - I’ve just caught up with the six year old debut by this Aussie prog band who rock well hard. There’s nothing earth shatteringly original going down but the verve glares through every note;

Big Big Train ‘Folklore’ - this band has had more than its fair share of bad luck in recent years, but still defiantly delivers its patently English sonic goods. This is just one highlight of an impressive back catalogue, with the late, great David Longdon in rude vocal form and some typically aristocratic guitar work from XTC renegade Dave Gregory;

Joni Mitchell ‘Court and Spark’ - music that never ages;

The Kinks ‘Arthur’ - the more I hear this, the more I’m convinced that this is Ray Davies’ songwriting pinnacle. The affection (or is it mockery) for post-war middle England was never better purveyed than here, not even in ‘Village Green’ (which I also adore, by the way). And the title track is the greatest Kinks’ 45 that never was;

Tony Bennett ‘Astoria: Portrait of the Artist’ - beautiful 1990 album with the great man in typically sublime voice. RIP;

Paul Motian ‘Tribute’ - not really sure who or what this 1975 album was a tribute to, but what the hell: the music meanders most agreeably;

Maynard Ferguson ‘Alive and Well In London’ - in reality as much a Keith Mansfield album as a Maynard one, this 1971 LP features muscular, high voltage big band arrangements of then contemporary rock and pop material, to invigorating effect. And Ferguson’s playing is, as ever, literally off the scale;

Maynard Ferguson ‘New Vintage’ - from Maynard’s ill-regarded disco phase comes an album I’ve loved since my teens. His take on Rimsky-Korsakov’s ‘Scheherazade’ has to be heard to be believed, with a wondrously overblown flute solo from Bobby Militello. Unashamedly of its time, but so what;

Brahms: Symphony no.2 (Lucerne SO/Michael Sanderling) - drab, staid performance of a wonderful symphony. Sorry, but I was underwhelmed to the point of indifference. I hope for more enlightenment from the remaining three;

Bax: Symphony no.7 (LPO/Raymond Leppard) - the first ever recording of Bax’s mysterious and majestic final symphony is still the best, I think. These sixties Lyritas set a standard of artistic and audio excellence that has yet to be bettered;

Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (Verbier Fest CO/Gabor Takacs-Nagy) - a genial, rather than dramatic, approach to Beethoven - as I’ve found all of the other performances in this new set. But there’s personality here, and loads to enjoy;

Beethoven: Symphony no.7 (LSO/Colin Davis) - the kind of Beethoven I was brought up on: straight, no frills, but with plenty of power in reserve;

Dvorak: String Quartet in G, Op.106 (Takacs Quartet) - this newie is all-round excellent: every phrase played earnestly with all the joy, feel and tension that the music exudes. Beautifully recorded, too - nice one, Hyperion;

This life will be the death of me.

Love to all

Dave x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Jul 23, 2023, 10:06
Steely Dan- Pretzel Logic
The Rolling Stones- It's Only Rock n' Roll
Bob Dylan- Blood On The Tracks
Bob Dylan- Desire
Neil Young- On The Beach
Wishbone Ash- Pilgrimage
XTC- Fossil Fuel

Junkboy- Littoral States
Mary Lattimore- Goodbye Hotel Arkada
The Clientele- I Am Not There Anymore
Kuunatic-Gate of Kluna
Breanna Barbara- Nothin' But Time

Dylan Henner- The Invention Of The Human
Justin Walter- Unseen Forces
James Holden- Imagine This Is A High Dimensional Space Of All Possibilities
Dominik Eulberg- Heimische Gefilde
Andy Stott- It Should Be Us
Loraine James- Building Something Beautiful For Me
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Jul 23, 2023, 11:19
Cocteau Twins - Treasure / Blue Bell Knoll / Heaven Or Las Vegas

John Coltrane - Blue Train / Giant Steps / Ole Coltrane

Julian Cope - Droolian / Droolian's Mother / Peggy Suicide / Jehovahkill

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left / Bryter Layter / Pink Moon

The Great Society - Conspicuous Only In Its Absence

Billie Holiday - Deja Vu Definitive Gold

Jefferson Airplane - Takes Off / Surrealistic Pillow / After Bathing At Baxter's

Love - S/t / Da Capo

Paul McCartney - Pure McCartney

Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds / Cre/ation: The Early Years 1967-1972 / The Man & The Journey: Amsterdam 1969

Sex Pistols - Spunk / Winterland

Archie Shepp - Kwanza / Four For Trane

The Smiths - The Troy Tate Sessions / Demos & Outtakes / Live Glasgow 1985 & 1986

Soft Machine - Jet Propelled Photograph / Tope Gear 1967 & 1969

Sun Ra - Angels & Demons At Play / The Singles

David Sylvian - Everything & Nothing / A Victim Of Stars

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra / Rubycon

Voice Of The Woods - S/t

V/A

Bob Stanley & Pete Wiggs present ... English Weather

Feel The Spirit

Fuzzy Felt Folk

Intermission (Ghost Box)

New Wave (Vertigo comp)
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Jul 23, 2023, 13:09
Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen - Songs From A Room
Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Love And Hate
Leonard Cohen - Live Songs

The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
The Incredible String Band - Wee Tam & The Big Huge

Traffic - Traffic
Traffic - Last Exit

The Beach Boys - Surfin' Safari
The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA
The Beach Boys - Surfer Girl
The Beach Boys - Little Deuce Coupe
Brian Wilson - The Big Beat 1963

The Monkees - The Birds The Bees & The Monkees
The Monkees - Head
The Monkees - 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee

neil - neil's Heavy Concept Album

Elton John - Blue Moves

The Style Council - Introducing

Madness - One Better Day 12"

Cosmic Jokers - Sci-Fi Party
Cosmic Jokers - Gilles Zetschiff

Organisation - Tone Float
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk 2
Kraftwerk - Live On Radio Bremen

Yes - Tormato
Yes - Drama

The Doors - The Doors
The Doors - Strange Days

Flo & Eddie - The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie
Flo & Eddie - Flo & Eddie
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 23, 2023, 22:13
Live Works – Craven Faults
Enclosures – Craven Faults
Standers – Craven Faults
You get all three of these in the Standers cd boxset. A fellow HH-er whose taste overlaps with mine much of the time (Hello Mongonaut!) isn't too taken with Standers. I am totally of the opposite opinion. My fave album of 2023 by a country mile so far.

The Frenz Experiment – The Fall
As with most Fall LP's this is an uneven set but when it's good, it is very good. Carry Bag Man has always been a favourite but I really enjoyed hearing Athlete Cured and Bremen Nacht this time.

The Positive Touch – The Undertones
Some of their finest moments here – notably Crisis Of Mine and You're Welcome with the latter sounding particularly good this week. That guitar that briefly pops in is almost McGeoch-like.

Also...
Conscience – The Beloved

Brilliant Adventure EP – David Bowie

Novelty Waves CDS – Biosphere

Let Love In - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Fantasy Island - Clinic

Glorious Game – El Michels Affair & Black Thought

Waiting – Fun Boy 3

1st – Pete Gabriel

Real Life – Magazine

Tick Tick Tick – Stephen Mallinder

Untold Futures – The Oscillation