Tony Bennett RIP

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Jul 21, 2023, 15:52
Tony Bennett RIP
Jul 21, 2023, 15:47
Ok, we’re not exactly talking gnostic rock and roll here, but I gotta respect a man whose voice has been a Soundtrack of My Life since childhood; a voice of liquid honey that could make even the blandest of lyrics bring forth tears. He brought out a semi-autobiographical album called ‘Astoria: Portrait of the Artist’ a few decades ago that is as involving as any rock concept album I care to think of, and I’m going to spin it tonight in his memory accompanied by a large Jim Beam on the rocks.

Rest in peace Tony, and thanks for the music.
darrell
49 posts

Re: Tony Bennett RIP
Jul 23, 2023, 08:05
Good to see Tony acknowledged here at the HH forum. You're right, he was one of those voices that we grew up on, and that seeped into our musical appreciation whether we wanted it to or not. My only Tony-related story concerns a Gilbert O'Sullivan gig I attended about ten years ago (climaxing with an extraordinary Abba-meets-Can trancelike twelve-minute version of 'Get Down', if you're looking for 'gnostic'...) - Gilbert mentioned how Tony's agent contacted him to say that Mr Bennett loved his song 'We Will', and wanted to cover it. But they wanted to check over the lyrics first. A copy of the words was duly dispatched - the agent replied after giving them the once-over, saying "yeah, we love the song - but there's a line we just don't understand. What the hell does 'I bagsy being in goal' mean?"
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Re: Tony Bennett RIP
Jul 23, 2023, 11:36
Great voice, indeed. Simply great!
Unsung Forum Index