Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited Jul 02, 2023, 12:11
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 July 2023 CE
Jul 02, 2023, 04:51
Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast

Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast (Out-takes compilation)

Edgar Froese - Aqua

Edgar Froese – Epsilon In Malaysian Pale

Edgar W. Froese – Dalinetopia

Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation

Tangerine Dream - Sorcerer

Tangerine Dream - Pergamon

Tangerine Dream - Hyperborea

Tangerine Dream - Strange Behavior

Tangerine Dream - The Keep

Tangerine Dream - Logos Live

Tangerine Dream - EXIT

Tangerine Dream - White Eagle

Tangerine Dream - Poland

Tangerine Dream - Raum

Kraftwerk - Bremen Radio 1971

Kraftwerk - Dentaku World, Nakano Sunplaza, Tokyo, 9 July 1981 (packaging says Budokan Hall)

Kraftwerk – Minimum-Maximum

NEU! - '75

La Düsseldorf – st

Delrei – Desolation And Radiation

The Guess Who - Greatest Hits
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 July 2023 CE
Jul 02, 2023, 09:55
Listen my friends:

Marillion ‘Seasons End’ - ahead of getting the new expanded, remixed edition of this album, I played the 1989 original this week. It remains an excellent debut for Steve Hogarth, Marillion’s new boy of 34 years standing;

How We Live ‘Dry Land’ - what that new boy did during Marillion’s piscatorial phase. Typically overproduced 80s pop saved by h’s angelic tenor. It’s telling how similar the title track sounds to Marillion’s later cover version;

Sparks ‘The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte’ - Russell and Ron are in their mid and late seventies respectively. Yes, really. Yet I’d struggle to find anything sounding more contemporary in my local HMV. Music this fresh makes the mega-selling pretenders dominating the album charts sound so old school it’s unbelievable. Good on yer, guys;

Paul Simon ‘Seven Psalms’ - unlike the aforesaid, Paul’s sounding his age these days, but his creativity thrives onward. This delightfully low-key song cycle is the best thing he’s produced for decades;

Yusuf/Cat Stevens ‘King Of A Land’ - another old hand back on form. These songs may not have the edge of his best work but there’s no denying their simple, tuneful charm;

Nine Horses ‘Snow Borne Sorrow’ - David Sylvian’s most accessible release of this century is an unsung masterpiece, the man’s closely miked vocal perfectly enhanced by Burnt Friedman and Steve Jansen’s melodic atmospherics. I hope it’ll become re-available outside of the upcoming Samahdisound box set;

The Answer ‘Sundowners’ - belts & braces rock’n’roll performed as therapy after some serious personal shit. These dudes needed to rock, and haven’t they just;

Mogwai ‘Central Belters’ - all the Mogwai I’ll ever need (yeah, right) over three beautifully sequenced CDs;

Moby Grape S/T - one of THE great legacies of the Sixties San Francisco scene: supreme pop music played and sung with infectious verve;

Lifesigns S/T and ‘Cartington’ - John Young’s Lifesigns project has thus far yielded three beautifully crafted and inventive rock albums, touched - but not defined - by prog elements. These are the first two;

Rick Danko S/T - Danko’s only solo album proper is good, not great, but nicely enlivened by the man’s plaintive vocals. Easily my favourite Band singer, and that’s saying something;

Mahavishnu Orchestra ‘Birds Of Fire’ - manic fusion wonderment that, for all its over-indulgence, still thrills fifty years on;

Keith Jarrett ‘Death and the Flower’ - 1974 Impulse! outing for Jarrett’s American Quartet, exhibiting a more estoteric side than their ECM releases. Not as well produced, though;

Beethoven: Quintet for Piano, Oboe, Clarinet, Horn & Bassoon, Op.16 (Dennis Brain Wind Ensemble) - definitive take on this charming early work, recorded just days before Dennis Brain’s fatal car crash. Was there ever a finer horn player?

Nielsen: Symphony no.3 ‘Espansiva’ (Danish RSO/Fabio Luisi) - this new Nielsen symphony cycle has been well received by the classical press and, if this is anything to go by, deservedly so. What an invigorating and fresh sounding work this is;

Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto no.1 (Pogorelich/LSO/Abbado) - very pointed 1986 take on this old war horse, a little over-precious for my taste, but enjoyable nonetheless;

Stravinsky: Le sacre du printemps (Orch de Paris/Klaus Makela) - I’m surprised by Makela’s over-measured approach to Stravinsky’s rhythmic masterpiece which, to my ears, robs the music of much of its impact. I remain faithful to my treasured recordings of Dorati, Markevitch, Bernstein and Colin Davis where the Rite is concerned;

Ireland: Concertino Pastorale (LPO/Sir Adrian Boult); A Downland Suite (Sinfonia of London/John Wilson); A London Overture (LSO/Sir John Barbirolli) - John Ireland’s orchestral music remains underrated next to Elgar, Holst, Britten and Vaughan Williams but his musical personality is every bit as distinctive, as these fine recordings testify;

Sibelius: Symphony no.4 (BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - the second of Herbie’s three recordings of Sibelius 4 is the best, finding just enough light amidst the prevailing gloom of the work.

Everybody in the whole of the world is the same inside.

Have a great week.

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Jul 02, 2023, 11:11
Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3

Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

MGMT - Congratulations

Pet Shop Boys - Yes + Further Listening
Pet Shop Boys - Pandemonium

Yes - Yes
Yes - Time And A Word
Yes - The Yes Album

La Düsseldorf - Individuellos
Klaus Dinger + Rheinita Bella Düsseldorf - Néondian (La Düsseldorf 4) (looking at the myriad Polaroids and snapshots in the CD booklet, for the first time I noticed no.20 - captioned "on my ding-dong" - is very rude indeed!)
La! Neu? - Blue (La Düsseldorf 5)

Klaus Schulze - Timewind
Klaus Schulze - Moondawn

Madness - Wonderful
Madness - The Liberty Of Norton Folgate

Electric Light Orchestra - New World Record
Electric Light Orchestra - Out Of The Blue

Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Elton John - Live At Glastonbury (watching this live on TV felt quite an event - Elton somehow seems to be hitting another career peak and deservedly so - listening back to the audio on BBC Sounds confirmed that he and his band were on amazing form here, even if he is generous to a fault championing new artists, letting Stephen Sanchez perform one of his own songs when we could have had another EJ classic. Also Cold Heart without Dua Lipa was little more than karaoke. He should have slipped in something a bit more leftfield instead, maybe Regimental Sgt Zippo given it's the title track of his 'latest' studio album. But Someone Saved My Life Tonight was a real highlight).
Elton John - The Lockdown Sessions (had this on cassette for about 18 months and hadn't got around to listening to it. The Glasto set prompted me to put it in the dusty old tape deck and after a dodgy start - particularly the very misguided collaboration with Young Thug, there are some surprisingly worthwhile tracks, particularly the rocker with Eddie Vedder which sounds like prime Elton. The title and cover design are naff, though. As if we want to be reminded of lockdown and face masks and I doubt I'll be playing it again any time soon).

Complex - Complex
garerama
garerama
1117 posts

Jul 02, 2023, 13:18
Don Cherry - Organic Music Society / Brown Rice

Alice Coltrane - Cosmic Music (with John Coltrane) / Live At Carnegie Hall, 1971 (Africa) / Illuminations (with Santana)

Miles Davis - Live-Evil / Paul's Mall, Boston, September 1972 / Get Up With It

Nick Drake - Tanworth-In-Arden 1967/68 / Way To Blue

Brian Eno - Evening Star (with Fripp) / Music For Films / Music For Airports

Lisa Gerrard & Peter Bourke - Duality

Godspeed You Black Empire - F# A# oo

The Golden Dawn - Power Plant

Gong family - Magick Brother / Theatre du Trocadero, Liege 7-1-72 / Gong Est Mort ... Vive Gong / Mother (Gilli Smyth) / About Time (New York Gong) / The Owl & The Tree (Mother Gong with Daevid Allen) / I Am Your Egg (Gilli Smyth, Daevid Allen, Orlando Allen) / The Best Of Mother Gong

Harmonia - Muzik Von Harmonia / Deluxe

Hawkwind - Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music / Quark, Strangeness & Charm (DE 2cd)

Billy Holiday - The Very Best Of (Verve 2cd)

Kraftwerk - S/t / 2

King Crimson - Starless & Bible Black / U.S.A

Bill Nelson - Chimera / The Two-Fold Aspect Of Everything / Getting The Holy Ghost Across / Living For The Spangled Moment / Optimism

Roxy Music - S/t / For Your Pleasure

Sex Pistols - Spunk / Gun Control

Frank Sinatra - No One Cares / September Of My Years

Talking Heads - Fear Of Music / Remain In Light

V/A - Cease & Resist: Anarcho Punk In The UK 1979-86 (FANTASTIC NEWLY RELEASED DOUBLE LP FROM OPTIMO)
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jul 02, 2023, 13:20
Wreckless Eric- AmERICa
Wreckless Eric- Construction Time & Demolition
Wreckless Eric- Transience
Wreckless Eric- Leisureland

(Eric's last four albums, from 2016 to forthcoming, are probably the best things he's done. Who else of the class of '77 is currently at the top of their game?)

The Len Bright Combo- Present The Len Bright Combo
The Horrors- V
Wishbone Ash- Argus
Little Feat- Dixie Chicken
Robert Palmer- Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley
Hall & Oates- Daryl Hall and John Oates (The Silver Album)
The Bee Gees- Best of (The Orange Album)

The Bees- Sunshine Hit Me
The Bees- Free The Bees
The Bees- Octopus
The Bees- Every Step's A Yes
The Bees- Sunshine Dub Me

David Westlake- D87
Belbury Poly- The Path
Robert Potifer- Holding Hands in Petropolis
Mirror Tree- S/T

Mandy Morton & Spriguns- Magic Lady
The Stone Roses- S/T
The Soundcarriers- Celeste