Kraftwerk - Tour de France (Single)

Kraftwerk - Electric Cafe

Kraftwerk - The Mix

Kraftwerk - Expo 2000 (Single)

Kraftwerk - Tour de France (Single) 2003

Kraftwerk - Tour de France Soundtracks

Michael Rother - Katzenmusik

Funny Papa Smith – 1930-1931 The Original Howling Wolf

Blind Willie McTell - The Best of Blind Willie McTell (Yazoo 2071)

Charlie Patton - The Best of Charlie Patton (Yazoo 2069)

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - So Far

Johnny Winter - Livin' in the Blues (Sundazed)

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2613 posts

Edited Jun 25, 2023, 09:28
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 June 2023 CE
Jun 25, 2023, 09:26
You have not been paying attention:

Fairport Convention ‘Unhalfbricking’ - that these young bucks released three near perfect albums, suffered a horrific road crash that totalled their original drummer (plus Richard Thompson’s girlfriend) and created their own genre within one remarkable year is the stuff of legend. This, the second of that sequence but their third album proper, still thrills me to the bone. Sandy, I love you. And Richard: if Tom Verlaine hadn’t (sadly) left this mortal coil, you could have validly sued him for aping your sound in ‘A Sailor’s Life’ (I’m kidding, but no fan of both artists could fail to recognise the similarity). I haven’t even mentioned the second theme of Sandy’s ‘Autopsy’ (“Come lend your time to me…”) which literally makes me weep. Oh, wharra band;

Radiohead ‘Hail To The Thief’ - what I suppose must now be regarded as Radiohead’s middle period yields me more pleasure than it did first time around, especially this album which successfully blends their rock and left field elements into a thoroughly cohesive whole. Did they ever make a finer 45 than ‘There There’? Well, yes they did, but still…;

Sassafras ‘Wheelin and Dealin’ - lost in the pre-punk melee of mediocrity were a bunch of decent bands that the reference books forgot. Sassafras were one of them, and their second album (of just three) is their best legacy: seven fine rocking originals and a take on ‘Ohio’ that threatens to outdo the CSNY original in sheer feel. Man possibly excepted, I struggle to think of a finer Welsh band;

Marillion ‘An Hour Before It’s Dark’ - I’d deliberately not listened to this since last year for fear I’d grow tired of its magnificence. What a joy it was to play it again this week. Doubters be assured: this is intelligent, inventive rock music with real heart and maturity;

Magazine ‘Secondhand Daylight’ - it’s commonplace for critics to place ‘The Correct Use Of Soap’ as Magazine’s artistic apex, but I’ve always preferred their sophomore effort for its proggy elements and uniquely ethereal sound. They never matched the intensity of ‘Cut Out Shapes’ or ‘Back To Nature’, to name but two of this near-perfect album’s masterpieces. And no bassist ever made a better case for a flange pedal than Barry Adamson here;

Keith Jarrett ‘Fort Yawuh’ - Jarrett’s so-called American Quartet made some excellent records for Impulse! and ECM. This 1973 date captures them at their - often manic - best;

Keith Jarrett ‘No End’ - where a master pianist picks up an electric guitar and records his muse on a cassette recorder, only to be released in two CDs thirty years later. This should be shit. That it isn’t is down to the man’s creativity and limitless imagination. It does pall in places but hey, could you do better? Think Jerry Garcia in private and you might get a hint. Jarrett’s no Jerry but he brushes that guru enough to pick up more than a flash of his style. Worth more than a curious sample, honestly;

Wednesday night upstairs at The Lounge, Lerwick - I’ve regularly holidayed in Shetland for over thirty years and the traditional musicians - usually with just fiddles, accordion and upright piano - never fail to impress me. This week they were particularly cooking. Hey, this ain’t rock’n’roll, but you can really feel the groove when these dudes take flight;

Sibelius: Symphonies 3 & 7 (Halle/Elder) - Elder’s live Sibelius cycle is a little patchy but when it’s good - as here - it’s excellent. In fact, I’ve yet to hear a finer Third than this.

We’re up in the air
We’re down on the ground.

Happy vibes to all

Dave x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Edited Jun 25, 2023, 11:01
Jun 25, 2023, 11:00
Two interrupted weeks' worth here:

Various Artists: Before The Day Is Done: The Story of Folk Heritage Records
Sandie Shaw: Reviewing The Situation
The Groundhogs: Live 1971
Taste: Best of
Pearls Before Swine: Balaklava
Wooden Shjips: V
The Only Ones: Baby's Got A Gun
Frankie & The Witch Fingers: Data Doom
Anton Barbeau: Morgenmusik Nachtschlager
Milo Korbensky: Vol 1
Radiohead: Amnesiac
The Bees: Free The Bees
Eek-A-Mouse: Wa Do Dem
Little Feat: Dixie Chicken
Hall & Oates: Daryl Hall and John Oates ('The Silver Album')
Wreckless Eric: Greatest Stiffs
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Jun 25, 2023, 12:17
The Beatles - 1962 - 1966

Tim Buckley - S/t / Goodbye & Hello (mono)

Camper Van Beethoven - Telephone Free Landscape Victory / II & III / S/t

Can - Monster Movie / Delay 1968

Cluster - Sowiesoso / Grosses Wasser

Coil - How To Destroy Angels (remixes) / Scatology / Horse Rotorvator / Gold Is The Metal

John Coltrane - Transition / Stellar Region / Expression

Miles Davis - Big Fun / Dark Magus

Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon / The Drop

Hawkwind - Hall Of The Mountain Grill / Warrior On The Edge Of Time

K.D. Lang - Ingenue

Tom Robinson Band - Power In The Darkness

Judee Sill - S/t / Heart Food

Frank Sinatra - Songs For Young Lovers / In The Wee Small Hours

Swans - White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity / Love Of Life / The Great Annihilator

Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation / Alpha Centuari / Zeit / Atem

Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats / Thee Psychick Sacrifice: Derby 4-12-79

V/A

A Sides (Crass Records)

Teenage Kicks
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Edited Jun 25, 2023, 16:38
Jun 25, 2023, 16:37
Madness - The Rise & Fall
Madness - Keep Moving (often tempted to write an Unsung review of this album, such is the depth of the song-writing on display - some very dark subject matter presented with great skill and showing that the band's strength lies in the ability of each member to compose sympathetically with any other member)
Madness - Mad Not Mad (a mixture of bad/not bad)
The Madness - The Madness (ditto)

The Kinks - Face To Face
The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon
The Kinks - Live At Kelvin Hall
The Kinks - Something Else

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Genesis - Transmission Impossible (unofficial box set collecting BBC sessions and 2 very interesting King Biscuit Hour live shows from the Trick Of The Tail and Wind & Wuthering tours with some rarely-played songs)
Genesis - Twickenham 2007
Genesis - When In Rome (anyone who thinks they hate Phil Collins should watch this show - he's in great vocal form throughout and a very entertaining showman too. I was at the Twickenham show and he surprised even me, a long-time Genesis fan. Shame this was the beginning of his decline in health)

Roy Wood - Boulders
Roy Wood - Mustard

Deep Purple - Fireball

Electric Light Orchestra - Face The Music
Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado

Ananda Shankar - Ananda Shankar

Klaus Schulze - Black Dance
Klaus Schulze - Picture Music

La Düsseldorf - La Düsseldorf
La Düsseldorf - Viva

Can - The Peel Sessions

Amon Düül 2 - Live At The BBC

Bee Gees - To Whom It May Concern (this one perfect for the solstice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-DmQ0x18k)

The Summerisle Stramash - The Wicker Man OST (live performance at the Barbican - a supergroup consisting of original Wicker Man vocalist/actor Lesley Mackie with Alasdair Roberts and members of Comus, Mellow Candle, Current 93 and The Pogues - should have been great and it often was, but the fact that the collective had only got together two days before resulted in some parts sounding woefully under-rehearsed)
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Jun 25, 2023, 18:04
Twink - Think Pink. The first four tracks of Side 1 on repeat.
"Ten Thousand Words In A Cardboard Box" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBddBsRXK1U

Bernd Witthüser - Lieder Von Vampiren, Nonnen Und Toten
"Dracula" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3J5IHoT0ZI

T2 - It'll All Work Out In Boomland (Expanded Edition). A x3 CD box set of prog/hard/psych rock featuring their 1970 debut album 'IAWOIB', plus 'T2' (featuring demos from 1970) and '1971 - 1972' (featuring demos from those years).
"Morning" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ecvjVbevTU

Robin Williamson - Myrrh
"Will We Open The Heavens" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTQVIH3mfKM

Led Zeppelin - III

Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy

Budgie - In For The Kill!
"Crash Course In Brain Surgery" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ9tcsXmJ0o

Cockney Rebel - Psychomodo

Robin Williamson & His Merry Band - A Glint At The Kindling
"Me And The Mad Girl" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YImzqgYWkI

Hawkwind - P.X.R.5
keith a
9573 posts

Jun 25, 2023, 20:32
Two weeks worth here...

From Her To Eternity – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Kicking Against The Pricks – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
One of the music mags selected a list of Nick's 50 greatest tracks so I made a playlist featuring most of them, so listened to that as well as these two albums. Off the top of my head the biggest omission for me in the top 50 would be As I Sat Sadly By Her Side, but it's a very decent selection.

Fragments – Bonobo

Turn The Car Around – Gaz Coombes

Cope Notes: Black Sheep – Julian Cope

Standers – Craven Faults

Fuse – EBTG

Koyaanisqatsi – Philip Glass

Collision EP – Loop
Arc-Lite EP - Loop
Remix EP – Loop

Vertigo Days: Live From Alien Research Centre – The Notwist

S/T – The Only Ones

Game Of The Thrones EP – Lee Perry

Entangled Routes – Pye Audio Corner

Sterntaler – Michael Rother

Wraith – Teeth Of The Sea

After Dark – Alan Vega
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Jun 25, 2023, 23:16
Dog in fog wrote:

T2 - It'll All Work Out In Boomland (Expanded Edition). A x3 CD box set of prog/hard/psych rock featuring their 1970 debut album 'IAWOIB', plus 'T2' (featuring demos from 1970) and '1971 - 1972' (featuring demos from those years).

If you haven't checked them out already, the singer-cum-drummer-cum-songwriter Peter Dunton was in a few bands in the 60s, most notably Neon Pearl and Please. Also The Flies and Bulldog Breed.

Neon Pearl 1967 https://youtu.be/EZZpZbJ7xCE

Please 1968/69 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNwSnyooKX8
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Jun 28, 2023, 20:14
garerama wrote:
Dog in fog wrote:

If you haven't checked them out already, the singer-cum-drummer-cum-songwriter Peter Dunton was in a few bands in the 60s, most notably Neon Pearl and Please. Also The Flies and Bulldog Breed.

Neon Pearl 1967 https://youtu.be/EZZpZbJ7xCE

Please 1968/69 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNwSnyooKX8

Thanks, g!
Unsung Forum Index