Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 May 2023 CE

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 May 2023 CE
May 28, 2023, 04:59
The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination Edgar Allan Poe (Original 1976 mix)

The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination Edgar Allan Poe (1987 remix)

The Penguins - Earth Angel

Blind Willie McTell - 1927-1935

Sun Ra - Cosmos

Lionel Hampton - Greatest Hits

Rush - Hold Your Fire

Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself

Strawbs - st

Steeleye Span - The Lark in the Morning, The Early Years

Jethro Tull - Nightcap (disc 2)

V.A. - impulse! jazz 30 Year Celebration

Telemann, Capella Istropolitana, Richard Edlinger – Recorder Suite In A Minor • Viola Concerto • Tafelmusik

Franz Schubert / George Crumb, Brodsky Quartet – Der Tod Und Das Mädchen / Black Angels
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 May 2023 CE
May 28, 2023, 10:21
XTC- Oranges And Lemons
The Times- Up Against It
Genesis- Nursery Cryme
The Soundcarriers- Celeste
Can- Landed
Prelude- Owl Creek Incident
Fuchsia- S/T
V/A- All The Young Droogs: 60 Juvenile Delinquent Wrecks, Rock n' Glam (and a flavour of bubblegum) from the '70s
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited May 28, 2023, 11:50
May 28, 2023, 11:06
One more Saturday night:

The Smiths ‘The Queen Is Dead’ - for sadly obvious reasons, I couldn’t help but focus upon Andy Rourke’s bass lines when spinning this again. It’s too easy to take for granted just how inventive and essential he was to the band’s sound;

Nick Lowe ‘Jesus Of Cool’ - at all stages of his long career, Basher has delivered the goods. His first solo album is of its time but still as fresh as a daisy. He’s always had a way with a tune and an ascorbic turn of phrase. I dig his mood, both then and now;

Yes ‘Mirror To The Sky’ - following the immense letdown that was ‘The Quest’, I’d pretty much given up on what’s left of Yes as a viable act. A sly stream of their new album has, however, been a pleasant surprise: the title track being their best long-format song since 1977’s ‘Awaken’. This gets close to the Yes spirit and sound even if they’re little more than a tribute band these days;

Graham Nash ‘Now’ - no new directions here - well, the guy’s 81: whadya expect - but he’s still got what he always has had - except David Crosby, of course;

Metallica ‘72 Seasons’ - ain’t no words to describe this, other than it rocks like a female hound, if you catch my drift;

Ultravox ‘Systems Of Romance’ - John Foxx’s Ultravox swansong still sounds sophisticated and original. Why they never broke big under his leadership will always puzzle me;

Aztec Camera ‘Knife’ - most of Roddy’s 80s albums suffer from over-production (as do so many others’) but the quality of his songs still shine through. He has a unique gift for melody;

The Teardrop Explodes ‘Kilimanjaro’ (orig mix) - as anticipation for the Teardrops’ box set reaches fever pitch (we aren’t all professional reviewers, alas), I’ve had to re-thrill to this. Timeless;

Klaus Schulze ‘Cyborg’ - four continents of transcendental synthesised sound, moving at suitably glacial pace;

Streetwalkers ‘Downtown Flyers’ - funkier and rockier than Family, and blessed with even more emotive vocals than Roger Chapman had demonstrated in his earlier band. Features a pre-Maiden Nicko on drums;

Robert Plant ‘Pictures At Eleven’ - Percy’s solo debut was a good one, distinctively un-Zep enough (‘Slow Dancer’ excepted) to make its own mark but with enough clout to keep his faithful happy. I’ve always loved Robbie Blunt’s restrained technique on Plant’s early albums;

Can ‘Ege Bamyasi’ - possibly the most user friendly (i.e. undemanding) album of Can’s classic period and, as with most of their output, quite timeless in its infectious appeal;

Art Ensemble of Chicago ‘Nice Guys’ - improvisation rarely gets this approachable. The AEC had a knack of keeping one listening in wonder of what’s coming next;

Haydn: String Quartets Op.9 no.1, Op.54 no.1 & Op.103 (Buchberger Quartet) - random dips into the ultra cheap Brilliant Classics’ Haydn Edition: these are really very good, though recorded within a slightly over resonant acoustic;

Haydn: 6 String Quartets, Op.76 (Doric String Quartet) - there’s a near-ideal compromise of sensitivity and musicality here in Haydn’s best loved series of quartets. The Dorics have the ability to look beyond the notes in the score to reveal all sides of Haydn’s muse. I have yet to hear a finer rendition of Op.76 than this;

Haydn: 2 String Quartets, Op.77 (Smithson Quartet) - straight laced, tasteful performances from this 35 year old CD. Aren’t charity shops good;

Haydn: Missa in hororem Beatissimae Virginis Mariae (Christ Church Cathedral Oxford Choir/AAM/Simon Preston) - hard to fault such lovely music as well performed as here;

Sibelius: Finlandia/Mozart: Flute & Harp Concerto/Tchaikovsky: Symphony no.5 (all BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - some of the records from Karajan’s second EMI stint seem to have a particular intensity. This Tchaikovsky Fifth from 1971 is quite unlike his other recordings of the work: quite a performance of extremes, and fascinatingly so. And his Finlandia from 1976 really packs a punch. A pre-fame James Galway shines in the Mozart;

Mozart: Symphony no.41 ‘Jupiter’ (Staatskapelle Dresden/Sir Colin Davis) - another charity shop find: old school “big band” Mozart played just right.

I can’t stay long.

Enjoy the sunshine and enjoy your sounds, dear friends

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

May 28, 2023, 20:05
Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind / Centipede HZ

Bonzo Dog Band - Gorilla / The Donut In Granny's Greenhouse

Tim Buckley - S/t / Top Gear & OGWT

Cocteau Twins - The Moon & The Melodies (with Harold Budd) / Victorialand

Julian Cope - The Skellington Chronicles / Interpreter / An Audience With The Cope 2001

Current 93 - Swastikas For Noddy / Crooked Crosses For The Nodding God

Miles Davis - Workin' / Steamin' / Blue Christmas

The Deep - Psychedelic Moods

Morgan Delt - S/t

Martin Denny - Exotica Vols 1 - 3 / Forbidden Island

Family - Music In A Doll's House / Family Entertainment

Faust - IV / BBC Sessions+ / Seventy One Minutes

Bill Fay - S/t / Time Of The Last Persecution

Forest - S/t / Full Circle

Robert Fripp - Music For Quiet Moments Parts 30 - 44

King Crimson - Lizard / Islands / Larks' Tongues In Aspic / Starless & Bible Black

Kraftwerk - S/t / 2

Nico - The Marble Index / Desertshore / Heroine

Pink Floyd - The Wall / The Final Cut / The Endless River

Psychic TV - Dreams Less Sweet / Thee Full Pack

Siouxsie & The Banshees - The Scream / Join Hands

The Smiths - S/t / Hatful Of Hollow

Soft Machine - Jet Propelled Photgraph / Top Gear 1967 & 1969

Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup / Oscillons From The Anti-Sun

Throbbing Gristle (X-TG) - Desertshore / The Final Report

Traffic - Mr Fantasy / S/t
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

May 28, 2023, 20:17
Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail

Amon Düül II - Phallus Dei
Amon Düül II - Yeti
Amon Düül II - Tanz Der Lemminge
Amon Düül II - Carnival In Babylon

Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
Simple Minds - Sparkle In The Rain

Can - Future Days
Can - Soon Over Babaluma
Can - Landed
Can - Flow Motion

Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy
Bob Dylan - Under The Red Sky
Bob Dylan - London 5 February 1990 (my first Dylan gig - he was a mere 48 years old at the time!)

Popol Vuh - Cœur De Verre

Pink Floyd - More

Chris Isaak - San Francisco Days
Chris Isaak - Forever Blue

The Beatles - White Album + Esher Demos
The Beatles - Hey Jude (useful U.S. comp from 1970, although it would have been a more cohesive collection of 1966-1969 singles tracks if they'd included The Inner Light and dropped the two rather baffling 1964 selections)

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (50th anniversary listen of an album released on my 3rd birthday, which makes me... you do the maths, or on second thought please don't)

Ananda Shankar - Ananda Shankar

The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike

Claudio Simonetti's Goblin - Suspiria (Prog Rock Version)

Wax Machine - Earthsong Of Silence
Wax Machine - The This

The Apples In Stereo - New Magnetic Wonder
LeeHarveyIsInnocent
48 posts

Edited May 28, 2023, 20:56
May 28, 2023, 20:56
Fitter Stoke wrote:
One more Saturday night:
The Teardrop Explodes ‘Kilimanjaro’ (orig mix) - as anticipation for the Teardrops’ box set reaches fever pitch (we aren’t all professional reviewers, alas), I’ve had to re-thrill to this. Timeless;

x

Always enjoy reading your comments. Do you know if the original mix was ever released on CD?
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

May 28, 2023, 21:51
Regarding your comments re ‘Tubular Bells’, I was TWELVE when it came out, so don’t feel so bad about your age, young man! I’ve just played it for the first time in a few years, and it still sounds great - but I prefer ‘Hergest Ridge’, and ‘Ommadawn’ come to that. Those long form works that made Oldfield’s name and fame are still unique and fresh. Post ‘Platinum’ I’m afraid he lost me, a couple of decent 45s notwithstanding.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

May 28, 2023, 22:10
Thank you. And that’s a good question. I played ‘Kilimanjaro’ last week from my 1980 vinyl edition (the original release with the band cover, sans ‘Reward’). I’ve never heard the post-‘Reward’ remixed vinyl album (the one with the zebras) but would say from the two CD editions that I own that they sound as near as dammit to the original mix as makes no difference. Others may have a different view?
keith a
9573 posts

May 29, 2023, 17:30
Heaven's End – Loop
Collision 12” - Loop
Remix EP - Loop
I went to see Loop at the rather cozy Deaf Institute in Manchester last week - the only time I'd ever seen them before was thirty odd years ago at the Boardwalk there. They were one of my favourite bands at that time and they didn't disappoint in that small sweaty club either. They've been a going concern again for a few years now so I was certainly overdue a Loop gig, especially as last year's Sonancy (which managed to sound like Loop of olde but also sound different, too) was probably my favourite LP of 2022. Loop are a very different band personnel-wise these days but - to paraphrase The Fall stipulation - as long as it's Robert and his effect pedals then surely it's Loop. It's a very different Robert these days, too. Gone are the long black locks and 'alternative' clobber/image, replaced by short white hair and an almost mod-like look. Musically it was very much what you'd expected - loud, repetitive riffs and distant vocals over a rhythm section that refused to relent as they played numbers from Sonancy and old favourites like Straight To Your Heart and Collision. It was, to put it simply, fantastic. I picked up the recent remix EP there – nothing drastically different from on Sonancy but sounds great.

Contino Sessions – Death In Vegas
So good to hear this one again – it was one of my favourite albums from circa millenium which is such a long time ago now! It's probably a more varied album than I remembered, with all the different contributors but it hangs together brilliantly and features some totally killer tracks.

Fall Heads Roll – The Fall
Blindness will probably always be the stand-out track here, but What About Us didn't half sound good this week.

Blue & Lonesome – The Rolling Stones
I played this one a lot when it came out and it still sounds like a breath of fresh air. The Stones playing like they played on their debut album but with a much better sound. I also watched the BBC Arena filmThe Stones and Brian Jones, too. Brian was clearly an important figure in the history of pop music and a tragic one at that. Nick Broomfield includes some very personal recollections from important players, not least Bill Wyman extolling Brian's musical virtues as he listened back to the likes of Little Red Rooster and Paint It Black which was a nice unexpected bonus. It's not a perfect film, but with Jones' life becoming more and more of a distant memory, this might just be the last word on this difficult Rolling Stone founder.

Everybody Wants To Shag... - The Teardrop Explodes
I'm warming up for the new box-set! Ouch Monkeys and Soft Enough For You, originally brought to us on the You Disappear From View EP are amongst my favourite TX tracks.

Also...
Satta Massagana – The Abyssinians

Into The Setting Sun – Athene & & Stijn Huwels

Green River - Creedeence Clearwater Revival
Cosmo's Factory - Creedeence Clearwater Revival

Pink Moon – Nick Drake

Return To The 37th Chamber – El Michels Affair

1000 Volts Of Holt - John Holt

Private Lesson - Gregory Isaacs

Music Of My Mind – Stevie Wonder
Unsung Forum Index