11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 May 2023 CE
May 21, 2023, 12:59
flashbackcaruso wrote:

Even the full length version of Fanfare wears out its welcome, becoming just a series of farts as it drags on. Works Vol.2 is actually much better. If they'd dropped the weaker tracks from that, replaced them with the single edit of Fanfare and a couple of other tracks from Vol. 1 and used the epic single version of 'I Believe In Father Christmas' it could have been a pretty decent album. But ELP had no self awareness, as evidenced by the cringeworthy titles of Lake's ballads and the painful vocalising that ruins their take on Mussorgsky's magnificent Great Gate Of Kiev on their otherwise enjoyable version of Pictures At An Exhibition. Still ... I'm a big fan of their first few albums and it was great to see them play their 40th anniversary/farewell concert at the High Voltage festival in 2010.

Yeah, the albums up to ‘Brain Salad Surgery’ are what will stay in my mind as ELP’s best work. I never saw them live so if they impressed at the High Voltage fest it’s a great tribute to Emerson who, according to David Weigel, had developed some severe health problems by that time. Given his tragic demise and that of Lake soon after, I almost feel guilty in slagging the post-Salad ELP off, but I really can’t forgive abominations like ‘Works Vol 1’ or, worse still, ‘Love Beach’.

Unsung Forum Index