May 20, 2023, 05:16
Uriah Heep - Salisbury

Blue Öyster Cult - st

Blue Öyster Cult - Tyranny and Mutation

Family - Music in a Doll's House

Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band - Dear Scott

Grant-Lee Phillips - Lightning, Show Us Your Stuff

The Guess Who - Road Food

Klaus Schulze, Rainer Bloss – Dziekuje Poland (Live '83)

Klaus Schulze - Angst

Richard Wahnfried – Miditation

Ralph McTell - Star-Collection

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

Vivaldi, Los Romeros, The Academy Of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Iona Brown – Vivaldi Guitar Concertos
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 May 2023 CE
May 21, 2023, 09:03
Daevid Allen - Banana Moon / N'existepas!

Black Flag - The First Four Years

Julian Cope - Autogeddon / 20 Mothers / Skellington 3 / England Expectorates
Dope - Guerilla Grow / Semi-Legal On The Edge Of Culture

Current 93 - Swastikas For Noddy / Crooked Crosses For The Nodding God

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (2cd) / Circle In The Round / Blue Christmas

The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine / An American Prayer / Alive She Cried

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left / Bryter Layter
V/A - Made To Love Magic (Uncut)

Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets / Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)

Harmonia - Live 1974 / Tracks & Trace (with Eno)

Joy Division - Substance / Les Bains-Douches

Kraftwerk - Radio-Activity / Trans-Europe Express

Neutral Milk Hotel - In Aeroplane Over The Sea

Os Mutantes - S/t / Everything Is Possible!

The Owl Service - A Garland Of Song / The Burn Comes Down / The View From The Hill

Penguin Cafe Orchestra - S/t / Music From The Penguin Cafe / Broadcasting From Home

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother / Meddle

Poison Girls - Where's The Pleasure? / Songs Of Praise

The Residents - Eskimo / Commercial Album

The Smiths - Meat Is Murder / The Queen Is Dead / Louder Than Bombs / Strangways, Here We Come / Rank

Alexander Skip Spence - Oar

V/A - Piccadilly Sunshine Parts 2, 4 & 6 / Psychedelic Visions
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited May 21, 2023, 11:01
May 21, 2023, 10:59
I can hear the grass grow:

The Wedding Present ‘Valentina’ - having heard - and liked - the Cinerama version of this, my preference firmly remains with the original album. In fact, it’s up there with ‘Bizarro’, ‘Seamonsters’, ‘Disco Volante’ and ‘Torino’ in my personal Top Five David Gedge creations. Love, lust and betrayal never sounded so good;

Emerson, Lake & Palmer ‘Works Volume 1’ - I’ve recently read David Weigel’s ‘The Show That Never Ends’ summary of prog rock and, having been reminded of ELP’s obscene excesses of the time, thought I give this a rare spin. Oh dear, I rather wish I hadn’t. Aside from a couple of Carl Palmer’s tracks, and the full length version of ‘Fanfare For The Common Man’, this could be the most self indulgent wank ever unleashed upon the masses. Keith Emerson’s Piano Concerto is puerile, neo-classical rubbish that might’ve just worked as a band piece, but is sheer tedium for an orchestra who must have had to mask yawns and laughter in its execution. Greg Lake’s tracks are dreary, trite and tuneless. Worst of all, ‘Pirates’ is a sub-Lloyd Webber mini “rock” opera that cloys from start to finish. Even the sleeve has an annoying, pompous feel about it, coming across like the cover of a posh restaurant’s menu. If this hadn’t been a surprise gift from my dear late dad I’d have ditched this decades ago. As it is, I’ll put my still pristine 1977 double LP back in the racks, never to be played again - well, not by me anyway. Life’s too short, and I’m already in its latter stages;

Gordon Lightfoot ‘Summer Side Of Life’ - I’m unfamiliar with most of this sadly departed artist’s work but rehearing this has left me hungry to explore more of it. His muse was as wide as Dylan’s with a more conventional vocal delivery. RIP;

The Move ‘Anthology 1966-1972’- near-definitive box of classics, deep cuts and rarities from one of this sceptered isle’s finest bands, whose lifetime was far too short. Check out Carl Wayne’s magisterial vocal on ‘Don’t Make My Baby Blue’. Kinell, that’s a long way from the New Faces theme, innit;

Family ‘In My Own Time’ 45 - for me, Family’s excellent sequence of 45s - sometimes non-album - define them better than their patchy long players, the magical and atypical ‘Music In A Doll’s House’ excepted. This is the best one;

Stray Cats ‘Rant n’Rave With The Stray Cats’ - the third and best of the Cats’ ace early ‘80s LPs, with a production that made them sound at once both revivalist and contemporary. Irresistible;

Mal Waldron ‘The Call’ - a heady blend of jazz, kosmische and prog elements over two side-long tracks that rise to meltdown and back;

Haydn: 6 String Quartets, Op.33 (Doric Quartet) - the Dorics play modern instruments with period bows, minimal vibrato and maximum emotion. Theirs is a probing, intense approach to Haydn’s muse that can elsewhere so easily pass off as just happy and tuneful. Not the way I always want to hear this music but my, they make me think about it. And they’re pretty good in:

Mendelssohn: String Quintets (Doric Quartet w.Paul Ridout) - Mendelssohn’s chamber music represents the peak of his achievement for me and his first String Quintet, composed at the age of seventeen, is one of his finest utterances. This record does it full justice, and makes a good case for its much later follow-up too;

Beethoven: Piano Sonata no.25, Op.79 (Vladimir Ashkenazy) - Beethoven’s shortest mature sonata, played just right;

Beethoven: Piano Sonata no.32, Op.111 (Anatol Ugorski) - possibly the most drawn out and perverse rendition ever of a Beethoven sonata (he takes half as long again as most pianists in the Arietta), yet totally compelling;

Elgar: Introduction & Allegro/Vaughan Williams: Symphony no.6/Beethoven: Symphony no.7 (Halle/Barbirolli) - Sir John’s 70th was marked with this wonderful concert of party pieces. Sad to say, he didn’t live to celebrate any more birthdays, but what a legacy he left behind.

Useless information seems to fill my head with nowhere else to go.

May thy week be sublime, dudes.

Dave x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

May 21, 2023, 11:45
The Teardrop Explodes- Culture Bunker
The Bevis Frond- Little Eden
Magazine- Real Life
Talking Heads- Fear Of Music
The Alan Bown- S/T
Pet Shop Boys- Behaviour
Roman Angelos- Spacetronic Lunchbox (an 11 minute album!)

And three half-forgotten CDs from the mid-noughties that still stand up well:

The Organ- Grab That Gun
The Eighteenth Day Of May- S/T
Brakes- Give Blood
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

May 21, 2023, 12:22
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer ‘Works Volume 1’ - I’ve recently read David Weigel’s ‘The Show That Never Ends’ summary of prog rock and, having been reminded of ELP’s obscene excesses of the time, thought I give this a rare spin. Oh dear, I rather wish I hadn’t. Aside from a couple of Carl Palmer’s tracks, and the full length version of ‘Fanfare For The Common Man’, this could be the most self indulgent wank ever unleashed upon the masses. Keith Emerson’s Piano Concerto is puerile, neo-classical rubbish that might’ve just worked as a band piece, but is sheer tedium for an orchestra who must have had to mask yawns and laughter in its execution. Greg Lake’s tracks are dreary, trite and tuneless. Worst of all, ‘Pirates’ is a sub-Lloyd Webber mini “rock” opera that cloys from start to finish. Even the sleeve has an annoying, pompous feel about it, coming across like the cover of a posh restaurant’s menu. If this hadn’t been a surprise gift from my dear late dad I’d have ditched this decades ago. As it is, I’ll put my still pristine 1977 double LP back in the racks, never to be played again - well, not by me anyway. Life’s too short, and I’m already in its latter stages.

Even the full length version of Fanfare wears out its welcome, becoming just a series of farts as it drags on. Works Vol.2 is actually much better. If they'd dropped the weaker tracks from that, replaced them with the single edit of Fanfare and a couple of other tracks from Vol. 1 and used the epic single version of 'I Believe In Father Christmas' it could have been a pretty decent album. But ELP had no self awareness, as evidenced by the cringeworthy titles of Lake's ballads and the painful vocalising that ruins their take on Mussorgsky's magnificent Great Gate Of Kiev on their otherwise enjoyable version of Pictures At An Exhibition. Still ... I'm a big fan of their first few albums and it was great to see them play their 40th anniversary/farewell concert at the High Voltage festival in 2010.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

May 21, 2023, 12:59
flashbackcaruso wrote:

Even the full length version of Fanfare wears out its welcome, becoming just a series of farts as it drags on. Works Vol.2 is actually much better. If they'd dropped the weaker tracks from that, replaced them with the single edit of Fanfare and a couple of other tracks from Vol. 1 and used the epic single version of 'I Believe In Father Christmas' it could have been a pretty decent album. But ELP had no self awareness, as evidenced by the cringeworthy titles of Lake's ballads and the painful vocalising that ruins their take on Mussorgsky's magnificent Great Gate Of Kiev on their otherwise enjoyable version of Pictures At An Exhibition. Still ... I'm a big fan of their first few albums and it was great to see them play their 40th anniversary/farewell concert at the High Voltage festival in 2010.

Yeah, the albums up to ‘Brain Salad Surgery’ are what will stay in my mind as ELP’s best work. I never saw them live so if they impressed at the High Voltage fest it’s a great tribute to Emerson who, according to David Weigel, had developed some severe health problems by that time. Given his tragic demise and that of Lake soon after, I almost feel guilty in slagging the post-Salad ELP off, but I really can’t forgive abominations like ‘Works Vol 1’ or, worse still, ‘Love Beach’.
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

May 21, 2023, 13:06
Fitter Stoke wrote:
flashbackcaruso wrote:

Yeah, the albums up to ‘Brain Salad Surgery’ are what will stay in my mind as ELP’s best work. I never saw them live so if they impressed at the High Voltage fest it’s a great tribute to Emerson who, according to David Weigel, had developed some severe health problems by that time. Given his tragic demise and that of Lake soon after, I almost feel guilty in slagging the post-Salad ELP off, but I really can’t forgive abominations like ‘Works Vol 1’ or, worse still, ‘Love Beach’.

Yes, Emerson's problems were occasionally evident at High Voltage. He'd had surgery on his hand which meant some of the solos didn't come off as he clearly hoped they would but the showmanship was still there, complete with knives in the Hammond organ which was then tipped over. So sad that he and Lake passed away so tragically soon afterwards.
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

May 21, 2023, 13:49
Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets

Nick Drake - Bryter Layter

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

Bob Dylan - Infidels
Bob Dylan - Empire Burlesque
Bob Dylan - Knocked Out Loaded

Heaven 17 - Penthouse & Pavement
Heaven 17 - The Luxury Gap
Heaven 17 - How Men Are

The Undertones - The Undertones

Shakin' Stevens & The Sunsets - I'm No JD (Bought from a charity shop for 19p, and very good it is too).

John Cale - Fear

Ash Ra Tempel - New Age Of Earth
Ashra - Blackouts

Chris Isaak - Silvertone
Chris Isaak - Chris Isaak
Chris Isaak - Heart Shaped World

Tubeway Army - Replicas

Ultravox - Vienna
Ultravox - Rage In Eden
Ultravox - Quartet

Popol Vuh - Das Hohelied Salomos
Popol Vuh - Letzte Tage – Letzte Nächte

Cluster - Zuckerzeit
Cluster - Sowiesoso

Simple Minds - Early Gold
Simple Minds - Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Wishbone Ash - Argus
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

May 22, 2023, 17:01
The Black Dog - The Grey Album
Best release by Sheffield concussive elctro nerds for a while. The last two, Music for Photographers and Music for Real Airports tried the Eno-esque ambient route and didn't really work for me.
TGA - https://duststoredigital.com/album/the-grey-album

Goldfrapp - Love Invention
Not bad, had it on shuffle, so not sure which are album tracks and which the remixed versions, like what I've heard tho. It's with Richard X, who I always seem to mix up with the guy out of Death in Vegas.

Sabres Of Paradise - Haunted Dancehall, Sabresonic, Theme single
Following on from last weeks Weatherall fest.... Best version of Theme for me was on an old Select magazine free cassette. Theme II i think it was titled. T2 = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9UG10Kkl4
Also liked their extra long remix of James track called Jam J https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzvTvhgy00E

Wire - 154/ Chairs Missing/ Not About To Die
Mostly listened to the demos from each, and obvs the last is all demos.

Various - 'Fame' Jon Savage’s Secret History Of Post-Punk (1978-81)
Seems to be ole' Johnnys stock in trade these days, this is well put together in the usual format, well known and unheard of.
https://soundcloud.com/jk1962/jon-savages-fame-post-punk-1978-81-2021-re-edition-mini-mix-promo

Also following on from last weeks Bowie thread, sat down and watched the recent Stardust biopic. Wasn't expecting much cos' of the solid panning review wise, but Wow, loved it. Really captures that time around Man who Sold The World when it really could have gone either way career wise. Thought the lead did a reasonable Bowie take, tho not sure why Angie had a British accent, or Bolan looked like a 5o year old sex worker. It's a real pity they couldn't get any music rights. Much prefer it to the overhyped Moonage Daydream, which is for me a bit Smash Hits make Bowie docu. Yeah, it looks nice, but not much I haven't seen before, despite the bloke having unlimited access to a vast archive. I made it about 3/4 through afore I gave up tbh.

Have better one!
keith a
9574 posts

May 23, 2023, 16:57
Standers – Craven Faults

Darkadelic – The Damned

Functional Designs – Deepchord

Ghost Poems – Earthen Sea

Sticky Fingers – Rolling Stones

Racing The Storm – Emiliana Torrini, The Colourist Orchestra

Cool It Down – The Yeah Yeah Yeahs