Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 May 2023 CE

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited May 07, 2023, 04:28
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 May 2023 CE
May 07, 2023, 04:18
The Original Memphis Five / Napoleon's Emperors / The Cotton Pickers – 1928-1929

John Denver - Take Me to Tomorrow

Steeleye Span - Sails of Silver

Mimi & Richard Fariña – Celebrations For A Grey Day

Nancy Wilson - Mente Perturbada

The Nice – The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack

Dave Bartholomew – Golden Rule In New Orleans: King & Imperial Sides, 1950-1961

Jethro Tull - WarChild (Steven Wilson Remix)

Jethro Tull - WarChild The Second Act - Associated Recordings

Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery

Eddie Cochran - Legendary Masters Series Vol. 1

Lonesome Sundown - st (Flyright)

Blind Willie McTell - The Early Years 1927-1933

Charlie Parker - A Studio Chronicle 1940-1948 (Disc E)

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Ennio Morricone – Dedicato Al Mare Egeo

Klaus Schulze - Trancefer

Klaus Schulze - Inter * Face

Penderecki, Antoni Wit, National Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra (Katowice) – Orchestral Works Vol. 3 - Symphonies Nos. 2 And 4

V.A. - Doo-Wop From Dolphin's of Hollywood Vol. 1

V.A. - Blues From Dolphin's Of Hollywood

V.A. - Rockin' Doo-Wop 1954-1964 (Sequel)

V.A. - The Phonographic Yearbook 1923
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 May 2023 CE
May 07, 2023, 09:44
V/A - Willow's Songs (Finders Keepers)

Comus - First Utterance
Comus - To Keep From Crying
Comus - Out Of The Coma

Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Genesis - BBC 1971

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
Bob Dylan - Desire
Bob Dylan - Street Legal

Amazing Blondel - Amazing Blondel & A Few Faces
Amazing Blondel - Evensong
Amazing Blondel - Fantasia Lindum
Amazing Blondel - England

Can - Tago Mago
Can - Ege Bamyasi

Steeleye Span - Please To See The King
Steeleye Span - Ten Man Mop
Steeleye Span - Under The Salt

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - The Spotlight Kid
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Clear Spot
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Unconditionally Guaranteed
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Bluejeans & Moonbeams

Adam Ant - Is The Blueblack Hussar In Marrying The Gunner's Daughter

Ash Ra Tempel - Inventions For Electric Guitar

Rokurokubi - Saturn In Pisces
Rokurokubi - Iris Flower Of Violence

Peter Howell & John Ferdinando - Ithaca, Agincourt & Other Psych-Folk Fairy Tales
Friends - Fragile
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

May 07, 2023, 09:51
Hi there. Nice to be with you. Happy you could stick around:

Bob Dylan ‘Blonde On Blonde’ - there’s nothing I can say about this that hasn’t already been said thousands of times before. So I won’t. Other than… We’re not worthy;

Jacobites ‘Robespierre’s Velvet Basement’ - there’s something about these simple, heartfelt songs that makes me happy and sad at the same time. That both of its principal protagonists are no longer with us might have an influence but, no - it’s all there in the music;

Gong ‘Camembert Electrique’ - there are increasingly regular times in my old age that I need to hear this, scary space whispers and all;

Discharge ‘Grave New World’ - what could’ve been a very decent punk-metal album was decimated by Cal’s tuneless falsetto vocals. What the hell was he on? Thankfully he reverted to his trademark punk growl thereafter;

Emerson, Lake & Palmer ‘Brain Salad Surgery’ - the nearest ELP came to a decent album is dominated by the epic ‘Karn Evil 9’ which is iconic keyboard-based prog to my mind. Bar ‘Benny the Bouncer’, the rest of the record - and most of their other output - can be safely ignored;

Belle & Sebastian ‘If You’re Feeling Sinister’ - a little cold and knowingly clever for my tastes, but the songs are good;

Hatfield and the North ‘The Rotters’ Club’ - there’s heart here I can’t find in the aforementioned, and there’s the difference for me. I will never, ever, stop loving this wonderful record which, like ‘Joy Of A Toy’, ‘Rock Bottom’ and the first Caravan album have become part of my very being. RIP, Pip and Phil, and long live Kings Richard and Dave;

Wire ‘Chairs Missing’ - where punk got truly inventive and forward looking. In some ways it never really progressed further than this, 45 years on. Joy Division got the plaudits - and rightly so - but don’t forget what Wire did before them;

Tom Verlaine ‘Cover’ - even when in relative auto-pilot as here, Verlaine could move mountains with axe and larynx. Too little of his solo work remains available;

Japan ‘Oil On Canvas’ - capturing the artistry and precision of Japan right at the end of their existence. Why do I always feel like buying a fretless bass after playing this?

Brinsley Schwarz S/T - dripping with American influences (and more than a smidgeon of Van M), the Brinsleys’ first album is a gas, even before their more patently English vibe takes hold;

Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band ‘Gorilla’ - still a hoot 56 years on;

John Illsley ‘VIII’ - Illsley has busied himself with enjoyable, undemanding Dire Straits-like albums like this for three decades now. This is the most recent and best one;

Metallica ‘72 Seasons’ - looking like an early album of the year contender, this. If you dig them, you’ll already agree. If you don’t, steer clear;

Joe Lovano’s Trio Tapestry ‘Our Daily Bread’ - very laid back, unswinging new album from Lovano, with Marilyn Crispell at her limpid best on piano. Music to avoid coronations to;

AMM ‘The Crypt, 12th June 1968’ - as random a sound collage as it’s possible to conceive. I can’t pretend it’s anything but a tough listen but there are moments of relief amongst the melee. What can I say? It’s what you want to make of it, if you care to;

AMM ‘The Nameless Uncarved Block’ - still completely abstract in 1990, but much more user-friendly, largely due to the inclusion of John Tilbury on piano;

Haydn: Six String Quartets, Op.50 (Festetics Quartet) - more excellent renditions from Haydn’s wonderful string quartet oeuvre. What a bargain this Festetics box set is proving to be. Mind you, I also love:

Haydn: Six String Quartets, Op.20 (Chiaroscuro Quartet) - there are several excellent young quartets doing the rounds lately, and the Chiaroscuros are most definitely in their number. Their approach to Haydn is more serious and micro-managed than the Festetics, but equally rewarding. I also played their recording of Beethoven’s Op.18 quartets this week, which proved revelatory. More please;

Ireland: Orchestral Works (Sinfonia of London/John Wilson) - a thoroughly satisfying disc of underrated English music, beautifully rendered and recorded;

Strauss: Sinfonia Domestica (Munich PO/Zubin Mehta) - forget the indulgent programme and just wallow in the lush music;

Beethoven: Symphony no.4 (Czech PO/Paul Kletzki) - Kletzki’s mid-60s Beethoven cycle is rarely mentioned these days but is mandatory listening for woodwind heads like me. No other recordings I know showcase them so strongly, and this Fourth is a good example. Had Kletzki observed repeats and not slowed down for the third movement trio it’d be my favourite recording of this wonderful work;

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf ‘Sings Operetta’ (Philharmonia/Otto Ackermann) - as a sprog I used to wince when my dad played this. I feel very differently now. If there’s a more enjoyable operatic vocal showcase on record than this I’d love to hear it;

Mozart: Symphony no.34 & Haydn: Symphony no.104 ‘London’ (Philharmonia/Rudolf Kempe) - bought for 14/6d from a Roker off licence by my dad back in 1969, and still sounding great now. Those cheap MFP LPs helped make me the music obsessive I was, am, and will die as.

Sons of pioneers are hungry men.

Have a great week

Dave x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

May 07, 2023, 11:08
A couple of weeks, here:

The Teardrop Explodes- Culture Bunker
The Teardrop Explodes- Peel Sessions Plus
The Teardrop Explodes- Kilimanjaro
Julian Cope- England Expectorates

The Associates- Sulk
The Jesus & Mary Chain- Automatic
Diesel Park West- Shakespeare, Alabama
The Horrors- Primary Colours
V/A- Beloved (Mojo CD)
The Blue Aeroplanes- Swagger
Electronic- S/T

Pearls Before Swine- One Nation Underground
Pearls Before Swine- Balaklava
Phil Ochs- The Best Of The Rest

Young Heart Attack- Mouthful Of Love
Mott The Hoople- All The Young Dudes
The Mission- Salad Daze
The Cure- Disintegration

The Damned- Darkadelia
Crayola Eyes- Gushing
Greasy Kingdom- S/T
C.K. Smith- S/T
Permanent Clear Light- Right As Rain

Jacques Brel Is Alive And Well And Living In Paris (original cast recording)
Traffic- John Barleycorn Must Die
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

May 07, 2023, 12:06
Anne Briggs - The Time Has Come / Sing A Song For You

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day / Prospect Hummer (with Animal Collective)

Cluster - Sowiesoso / Grosses Wasser

Crass - Christ The Album (studio disc) / Yes Sir I Will

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife / The Hazards Of Love

Ani Difranco - Dilate

Discharge - Why? / Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (mono) / Highway 61 Revisited (mono)

Diamanda Galas - The Divine Punishment / Saint Of The Pit / You Must Be Certain Of The Devil

Paul Giovanni & Magnet - The Wicker Man OST
V/A - Willow's Songs

Gong - Magick Brother / Live Floating Anarchy (Planet Gong)

The Incredible String Band - Wee Tam / The Big Huge / Changing Horses

Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Joy Division - Nashville Ballroom, London 22-9-79 / Les Bains Deuches, Paris 18-12-79 / Paradiso, Amsterdam 11-1-80

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King / In The Wake Of Poseidon

Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots / Mingus At Antibes / Tonight At Noon

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Airplane Over The Sea

Nico - Dreams Of Exile (1981 & 1983) / Heroine: Manchester Library Theatre 1980

Michael Nyman - The Piano OST

Rocky Horror Picture Show OST

Sun Ra - Angels & Demons At Play

Test Dept/ Brith Gof - Gododdin

Vangelis - Blade Runner OST

The Waterboys - A Pagan Place / This Is The Sea / Dream Harder

Yonin Bayashi - Ishoku Sokuhatsu

Zounds - Curse Of The Zounds