2389 posts

Edited Apr 30, 2023, 05:23
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 April 2023 CE
Apr 30, 2023, 05:08
Jethro Tull - This Was (mono)

Jethro Tull - Stand Up

Jethro Tull - Live At The Stockholm Konserthuset, 9th January 1969, Second Show

Jethro Tull - Benefit

Jethro Tull - Benefit, Associated Recordings, disc 2 of (The 50th Anniversary Enhanced Edition)

Jethro Tull - Aqualung (A Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)

Jethro Tull - Aqualung, Associated 1970 & 1971 Recordings - A Steven Wilson Stereo Remix

Jethro Tull – Thick As A Brick (The 2012 Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)

Jethro Tull - Living in the Past

Jethro Tull - The Château D'Hérouville Sessions (A New Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play

Albert King - The Complete King & Bobbin Recordings

Ennio Morricone - Oceano

Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - The Blues

Bernard Herrmann - Anna and the King of Siam

Rush - Signals

Ramones - Rocket to Russia

Durand Jones & The Indications – st

Timothy Kain – Forgotten Dreams - Australian Guitar Music

Milhaud, Orchestre National de Lille, Jean-Claude Casadesus – La Création Du Monde / Le Bœuf Sur Le Toit • Suite Provençale
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Apr 30, 2023, 12:37
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 April 2023 CE
Apr 30, 2023, 10:32
This week’s look back bores:

Killing Joke ‘what’s THIS for…’ - as I’ve said before, Adam and the Ants on steroids. And then some;

Paul Brady ‘Hard Station’ - one of those albums I’ve liked for decades and now suddenly fell in love with. The man writes in traditional forms yet always sounds truly distinctive;

Henry Cow ‘Concerts’ - never mentioned in critics’ lists of worthy rock double live albums, but safely ensconced in my personal selection. The first side is particularly excellent, featuring Dagmar Krause at her touching best;

Van Morrison ‘It’s Too Late To Stop Now’ - in comparison to the very different record above, this one is anything but unsung, yet rightly so. Like ‘Made In Japan’ is for Deep Purple, so I sometimes feel that this is the only Van the Man album I ever really need* despite the thirty-odd others I have gathering dust in my racks;

The Fall ‘The Infotainment Scam’ - Mark E’s great Spangles phase of 1994 resulted in this timeless epic;

Siouxsie and the Banshees ‘A Kiss In The Dreamhouse’ - the last Banshees album I ever bought is a real spine-tingler;

Jacobites ‘Robespierre’s Velvet Basement’ - ever fresh, feel good, joyous songs is all. RIP, Nikki and Dave;

Ryley Walker ‘Primrose Green’ - sounding just like one of those wonderful Witchseason productions from fifty years ago, Walker has imbued the spirits of John Martyn and Nick Drake (plus more than a snifter of Tim Buckley) to form his own 21st century take on folk rock. This is really very, very good indeed;

Metallica ‘72 Seasons’ - still well into this. I’ve grown old with this lot, but only I sound it. They most certainly don’t;

Sensational Alex Harvey Band ‘Tomorrow Belongs To Me’ - SAHB were one of many Brit bands of the early to mid 70s who give the lie to the oft-held view that the UK pre-punk scene was all dull and dreary. This is a fine example of their craft;

Public Image Ltd ‘Flowers Of Romance’ - hmmm. There’s a point where it’s debatable what stands up as original art and what’s really just lazy kack. A couple of tracks aside, I think most of this falls under the latter category, sadly. IMshittyO of course;

Rush ‘Vapor Trails’ (Remix) - I’ve come late to this and, as with most of Rush’s later albums, wonder at how much I’ve missed. Like the aforementioned new Metallica album, there’s an energy and freshness in these songs and their execution that belies the age of the band and its members. Not many acts reached a nineteenth studio album so defiantly;

Shakin’ Stevens ‘Re-Set’ - Shaky’s making highly credible music in his old age that anyone biased against his pop past may sadly pass by. His new record is a case in point: heartfelt, Americana-influenced songs with his ageing but still impressive tenor tones to the fore. Hear it before you diss it;

Haydn: String Quartet in B minor, Op.64 no.2 (Festetics Quartet) - Haydn’s minor keyed compositions usually include some especially poignant music, as in the sublime slow movement here. Music to meditate to;

Haydn: String Quartet in C, Op.33 no.3 ‘The Bird’ (Bingham Quartet) - the Binghams’ 1990s take on Haydn’s fab Op.33 quartets is the best I’ve ever heard: pace, dynamics and recording just right. It seems that their Kingdom recording was a one-off, which is a great shame as it would’ve been great to hear more of their Haydn;

Webern: Complete Works for String Quartet (New Leipzig Quartet) - this is a far easier listen than some might think, but only if given due concentration. The Leipzigers take a duly serious approach to Webern’s early and later music alike;

Beethoven: Symphony no.8 (Beethoven Orch Bonn/Stefan Blunier) - idiomatically Teutonic take on Beethoven’s “little one”;

Vaughan Williams: Wasps Overture & Tallis Fantasia (Halle/Sir Mark Elder) - Elder’s Tallis Fantasia is the tenderest, most yearning version of the work I know, and easily my favourite of his many recordings. Just gorgeous.

(*well, aside from ‘Astral Weeks’ anyway…)

The world we lost we found. Spoiled.

Enjoy your week, friends

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Apr 30, 2023, 10:41
The Apostles - Equinox Screams / The Other Operation

Cluster - '71 / II / Zuckerzeit
Kluster - Zwei Osterei

Miles Davis - Bags Groove / Relaxin' / Porgy & Bess

Nick Drake - Family Tree / Made To Love Magic

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan / The Times They Are A-Changin' / Another Side Of Bob Dylan
V/A - Highway 61 Revisited Revisited (Uncut)

Monte Dunn & Karen Cruz - S/t

Frankie Goes To Holywood - Welcome To The Pleasure Dome

Robert Fripp - Music For Quiet Moments Parts 1 - 29

The Future Sound Of London/ Amorphous Androgynous - Lifeforms / Tales Of Ephidrina / Lifeforms Remixes / My Kingdom

Gandalf - S/t / II

Gang Of Four - Entertainment!

The Incredible String Band - Changing Horses / Relics

John Martyn - Inside Out / One World

Charles Mingus - Mingus Dynasty / Mingus Ah Um / Blues & Roots

My Bloody Valentine - EPs 1988 - 1991 / mbv

Nico - Chelsea Girl / The Frozen Borderline: 1968 - 1970 / The End / Heroine: Manchester Library Theatre 1980

Psychic TV - A Real Swedish Live Show / Live At The Circus

Vangelis - Blade Runner OST

XTC - Explode Together: The Dub Experiments 1978 - 1980 / Waxworks / Beeswax / Instruvenus / Waspstrumental

Neil Young - Comes A Time / Rust Never Sleeps / Live Rust / Decade
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Apr 30, 2023, 11:19
Again a batch of old 45s from my collection ...

Anti-Nowhere League – Streets Of London | So What
Peter & The Test Tube Babies – Banned From The Pubs | Moped Lads | Peacehaven Wild Kids
Discharge – Decontrol | It's No T.V. Sketch | Tomorrow Belongs To Us
The Partisans – Police Story | Killing Machine
Channel 3 – I've Got A Gun | Manzanar | Mannequin
D.R.I. – Dirty Rotten EP
Black Flag – Six Pack | I've Heard It Before | American Waste
Misfits – Halloween | Halloween II
Ism – I Think I Love You! | A7

... and three 12 inch for good measure:
Various – A Country Fit For Heroes
Dead Kennedys – In God We Trust, Inc.
Discharge – Why
flashbackcaruso