13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 April 2023 CE
Apr 09, 2023, 23:38
Two weeks worth here...

Modern Life Is Rubbish – Blur
There's No Other Way was a fun record with a great TOTP performance c/o Daman, but hand on heart, I thought they were the type of band who would have a couple more hits and then disappear. It was only when I heard the first couple of singles from this second album that I realised there was more to them. Much of Modern Life is clearly leading towards Parklife but there's also a Teardrops influence on one track and some lovely moments of Syd-like whimsy.

Movement – New Order
One of those albums that have had me wavering over the years. I liked it when it came out albeit with the proviso that it clearly wasn't in the same class as the two Joy Division LP's. Then there have been times when I found it a little flat sounding, but this time I found myself enjoying it more than I have done in a long time.

S/T – The Only Ones
I've just read the recently published It's The Truth: The Making Of The Only Ones by Simon Wright which deals with the band's formation and their superb debut album. It's a short book, but if like me you love their work then you will find much of interest here, not least what the three remaining members have to say about the LP tracks, etc. Anyway, after reading it I just had to play the record in question, a record that meant so much to me in my late teenage years. From the surprisingly low-key beginning that is The Whole Of The Law (which blew me away today as much as it ever did), this still sounds great to me.

Kaleidoscope – Siouxsie & the Banshees
A bits'n'pieces transitional album after half of the band left that is probably way better than we had any right to expect. Two classic Banshees singles in Happy House and Christine and some genuinely interesting stuff elsewhere.

A Way Of Life - Suicide
Seriously under-rated third LP from The Al & Marty Show. Rain Of Ruin, Dominic Christ and Devastation are just three tracks here that are right up there with their finest moments.

The Glowing Man – Swans
The opening track, Cloud Of Forgetting, comes bursting out of the speaker like a bomb of loud intensity.

After Dark – Alan Vega
One of a number of posthumous Vega releases. This finds Alan in a more rockabilly mode not unlike some of his early 80's solo releases and is one of the more accessible releases. I'd also say it's one of his best – there a number of truly great tracks with River Of No Shame being a truly fab number.

Also...
Novelty Waves (CDS) – Biosphere
Functional Designs – Deepchord
Punkt – Faust
Plastic Beach - Gorillaz
Kinks – The Kinks
The Greatest – Cat Power
4 Hands – Roedelius Story
Scientist Rids The World Of The Evil Curse of Vampires - Scientist
Sons & Fascination / Sister Feelings Call – Simple Minds
Everything Was Beautiful – Spiritualized
Remain In Light – Talking Heads